Volvo Penta SAE30 Synthetic, 4.3 GM/Volvo, 20hrs

Status
Not open for further replies.
UOA for my boat for its annual oil change. Did it out of curiosity more than anything else. Boat is 16 years old and engine/drivetrain is original. Raw water cooling used in fresh water only.

Not sure I'm that concerned with iron number, the boat does sit for about 8 months per year unused. I do not fog it in the fall so I suspect rust does form over the winter.

The viscosity is frighteningly low. This year I put in Chevron Delo 400 SAE 30 oil but frankly after looking at the viscosity of this Volvo stuff, I might just use an HDEO 15w40 from now on.

E79444.jpg

The oil has a high Flash point and no indication of moisture but the oil was sheared to heck. I would not be concerned either about the iron considering it sits like it does. I don't see a problem using a good 15w40.

I used Mercruisers 25w40 this year on my 350Mag. I posted the results several weeks ago here My VOA . I also had significant shearing, down to a 20w. I refilled with Delo 15w40, and will do an analysis on that next year. These engines are just plain hard on oils, and a heavy duty oil is needed.

Originally Posted By: paulswagelock
I used Mercruisers 25w40 this year on my 350Mag. I posted the results several weeks ago here My VOA . I also had significant shearing, down to a 20w. I refilled with Delo 15w40, and will do an analysis on that next year. These engines are just plain hard on oils, and a heavy duty oil is needed.

Interesting that even using the 25w40 it sheared down into a 20 weight. Of course this is an OMC Cobra/Volvo Penta unit not a Mercruiser but we all know it's the same engine anyway. Frankly from what I have seen scattered around here the Mercruiser oil doesn't sound particularly impressive.

These results don't seem bad to me at all, particularly given how long the engine sits. I grew tired of paying $35 for 4 qts of oil buying the Volvo Penta stuff though I liked the idea of synthetic (but have no clue what the Volvo stuff is given the lack of data about it online, in fact mine is the first oil analysis I've ever seen for it). The Chevron stuff was cheap and most seem to like the line. However, given how much this stuff is getting torn apart I could easily save more money by running something like Rotella T and probably get the same amount of protection.

As a sidenote, 20 hours corresponds to about 1000 miles for my vehicles and I can't help but laugh at the fact that Si was only 14 given that the engine has no air filter. Some of the K&N reports that come in on here have higher levels than that. Of course the road is dustier than the water but still, this has no filter whatsoever and is run on a lake with mainly dirt roads near it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back