Ford Ecoboost Engines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
DI engines would be mostly fine if we could use lean stratified charge as they need to be run. Credit our stupid EPA for messing up the works on that.

Regarding the EPA regs & a lean stratified charge, it it due to higher levels of NOX production at elevated combustion temperatures?

wiki article on Stratified Charge

Someone on this site, in a discussion of adjusting valves on Hondas, said that Ford has changed to mechanical lifters on these new V6 engines. It's hard to believe that Ford has taken this (to me, anyway) backward step. Does anyone know if this is true?

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Originally Posted By: bigbird_1
The intake valve opening overlaps at the end of the exhaust/beginning of the intake stroke, so the intake valves are mostly exposed to small amounts of burned gasses after the power stroke has completed rather than any raw fuel. Ideally there should be as little unburned fuel as possible after combustion. Fuel chemistry certainly still plays a large part in keeping the valves clean, but in an entirely different manner than on port injection engines where they are constantly exposed to unburned fuel.

Note that overlap varies wildly by cam specs. It's not always present. Many cars now have NO egr, their cam timing accomplishes the same thing. Now that's overlap!

But with Variable Cam Timing there is the chance that Ford is using the VVT to adjust into an overlap condition to clean the valves. This is an exciting possibility, but these engines are too new to tell for sure.

I seen a post here that someone got a hold of someone at Ford and that is EXACTLY what they are doing.
I Soooo want to put an F150 EcoBoost in my Vic. I think it would Kick butt and get better mileage than the 4.6 lump, especially with the f150s 5 (6?) speed transmission.

you would lose weight and gain tons of torque!

I'm waiting for pics. There's going to be some junkyard dogs out there soon.

I seriously believe Ford has simply manipulated the variable cam timing to help the known issues with DI intake valves. They may not be eager to share this so it will be tough to confirm.

I've got to say that I love driving our company Ecoboost F150. It is a real pleasure, with plenty of easy to use passing power. Compared to my truck (a similar V8 powered F150) The Ecoboost is a dream!

Originally Posted By: 1999nick
Someone on this site, in a discussion of adjusting valves on Hondas, said that Ford has changed to mechanical lifters on these new V6 engines. It's hard to believe that Ford has taken this (to me, anyway) backward step. Does anyone know if this is true?

That was me. Going from the Ecoboost pictures, they are doing cam-over-bucket now and removing the traditional HLA's that the Modular had.

Yep, Ford switched to a DAMB (direct acting mechanical bucket) setup on all of the 3.5/3.7 V6s, similar to the Jaguar AJV8.

Sounds very similar to many of Toyota's engines, a direct-acting mechanical bucket. This type of arrangement is typically only adjustable by removing parts and adding the correct shim. I didn't like that on the Toyota engines I had; there was no real way to easily DIY a valve adjustment.

If they want to use solid lifters, make it how Honda does it and use roller followers with adjusters on the end of rocker arms. Otherwise, I'd prefer a "conventional" hydraulic lash adjuster.

I agree; this would be a "backwards" step, though I'm sure there'd be a reason for it, if it were indeed the case.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Sounds very similar to many of Toyota's engines, a direct-acting mechanical bucket. This type of arrangement is typically only adjustable by removing parts and adding the correct shim. I didn't like that on the Toyota engines I had; there was no real way to easily DIY a valve adjustment.

If they want to use solid lifters, make it how Honda does it and use roller followers with adjusters on the end of rocker arms. Otherwise, I'd prefer a "conventional" hydraulic lash adjuster.

I agree; this would be a "backwards" step, though I'm sure there'd be a reason for it, if it were indeed the case.

Ford has used this before. I know the ZETEC was setup this way.

Latest issue of Consumer Reports, they got the same gas mileage with ecoboost as with the v8 Ford 150, despite EPA rating.

I don't think the EPA accounts for sail area, the F150 is a big, square brick from the front.

I get better than EPA highway ratings in my Flex EB, it's rated 22mpg and in 6 - 420 mile cabin runs this summer I've recorded 24.7mpg, 25.3mpg, and 24.9mpg not towing. This is running with the cruise set at 73mph with occasional bursts to 85-90 (Ecoboost is nothing but FUN). Add 2000 lbs. of personal watercrafts and trailer and that drops way down to 18.6mpg, 18.8mpg, and 18.9mpg. I might add that these figures are using mid-grade (89 octane) ethanol.

City mpg is slightly better than the EPA rated 16mpg where I'm usually in the 17-18mpg range.

A lot of your mileage depends on how heavy your foot is. My Flex weighs in at 4800 lbs. and moving that much weight that quickly costs SOMETHING, and it's usually the mpg that suffers. I don't care, like I said, Ecoboost is really fun. I gotta believe the F150 is 5000 lbs. plus.

Originally Posted By: outoforder
Been doing some reading on these engine and I'm pretty impressed. Excellent power, fuel economy. Does anyone know about the longevity of these engines? Would the fact the engines are turbocharged affect their life span?

I have only heard of a few failed Ecoboot engines so far. It's gonna take more time to determine how they hold up. I have also heard of a few transmission failures so far.

Originally Posted By: Jeff_in_VABch
Originally Posted By: outoforder
Been doing some reading on these engine and I'm pretty impressed. Excellent power, fuel economy. Does anyone know about the longevity of these engines? Would the fact the engines are turbocharged affect their life span?

I have only heard of a few failed Ecoboot engines so far. It's gonna take more time to determine how they hold up. I have also heard of a few transmission failures so far.

There was a bad batch of clutch packs in the transmissions that went out at low mileage, most of them were on the 5.0 though.

I have a Camry I4 with 270 K on it, never had the head off and it has never needed a shim. Still nice and smooth at idle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back