1ZZ-FE Oil Level Specification Updated in 2008...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yah, apparently they just moved the level on the dipstick higher up, but nothing has changed besides them putting the oil level higher up on the dipstick... I get my car serviced at the dealer for my 2007 corolla, and they change oil and filter and the premeasured amount they put in, is 4.2 quarts in my 07.

Thanks for the link. That is good info to have, since both my vehicles are affected by this TSB.

The same thing has been going on here aswell, there was a piston-ring defect that caused engines to use oil and where covered by warranty. When a new shortblock was swapped in, the dipstick was changed and the inreased amount of oil was poured in.

Makes one wonder, is there risk of crank-contact and foaming or is there really so much safety margin as to overfill by half a liter? This also applies to 3ZZ-FE and 4ZZ-FE, the little brothers of the 1ZZ-FE.

That's interesting-my 1ZZ-fe has done over 1400000 miles and I put in only 1/2 litre between 10000 oil changes using the original oil level capacity. I've had nothing from the dealer about this so maybe my 2002 European spec Celica is not affected. Anyway don't think I will be putting in an additional 1/2 litre as what I been doing seems to be working as had no problems and car runs sweet.

Originally Posted By: Fredbear
That's interesting-my 1ZZ-fe has done over 1400000 miles and I put in only 1/2 litre between 10000 oil changes using the original oil level capacity. I've had nothing from the dealer about this so maybe my 2002 European spec Celica is not affected. Anyway don't think I will be putting in an additional 1/2 litre as what I been doing seems to be working as had no problems and car runs sweet.

All European Generation 7 Celicas (and US?) were affected up to the time of the facelift in 2002. Toyota Bulletin TS5-141 V2.0, March 2007, describes the problem identified with early Generation 7 1ZZ engines related to poor oil circulation around the piston rings which can lead to serious damage as a result of high oil consumption. The engines were subsequently fitted with a revised piston and as an additional counter measure, the fill level was raised by 0.5 litre. Issue is discussed at length on UK Celica site; www.celica-club.co.uk, often under the heading "Rattle of Death".

You should definitely buy the new, correct dipstick. It's $11 plus shipping online and you should be able to negotiate it down to less then $15 at your local-Toyota-dealer parts department.

You can even try to get it for free by showing the TSB to them.

Originally Posted By: Bazz54
Originally Posted By: Fredbear

All European Generation 7 Celicas (and US?) were affected up to the time of the facelift in 2002. Toyota Bulletin TS5-141 V2.0, March 2007, describes the problem identified with early Generation 7 1ZZ engines related to poor oil circulation around the piston rings which can lead to serious damage as a result of high oil consumption. The engines were subsequently fitted with a revised piston and as an additional counter measure, the fill level was raised by 0.5 litre. Issue is discussed at length on UK Celica site; www.celica-club.co.uk, often under the heading "Rattle of Death".

Thanks Bazz-my car is a facelift car so seems not affected.

Hello!
Does this affect other toyota corolla engines as well (of 2005-2009), because soem do mention 3.7 quart oil capacity, so just checking if we have to increase to 4.2 quarts in all corolla models ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back