Echo 2-cycle won't run right

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a new Echo Leaf Blower that was purchased last year and not run at all since new. Gasoline was put in it last November and just stored. We don't know if a "stabilizer" was put in the gasoline or not. We normally do but things happen....

Anyways, here is the problem. It cranks fine but will only run at full throttle when we turn it upside down. It will run at the highest rpm upside down. Also, under full throttle it will bog down.

A local repair guy said we need to buy a new carb????????

What do you think?

I suspect a plugged up carb as well. The issue is this: gasoline with ethanol degrades quickly, stabilizer or not...and plugs up the carb. Just replaced the carb on my Stihl...full of gunk despite using fresh gas with stabilizer and Stihl oil...let it sit a few months....

A new carb shouldn't be more than $30...your call if it's worth it...

Isn't there some way to clean them? Seafoam??? We are now buying alcohol free gas, thank goodness!i

Is there a Zama carb on that machine? If so, there should be a carb kit available for it for less than $10.00. Not a hard job to do. Just pay real close attention to small parts that come out and ensure you put the diahragms/gaskets in right.

I have an Echo Shred N' Vac and it's been flawless for going on five years. Mine sees year round use, so not much chance of fuel sitting in the carb for too long. I have a Stihl brush cutter that I hadn't fired up in two years but when I put it away, I ran it dry and left it that way for storage. I pulled it out, put some fuel in it and fired it up after several pulls.

I also have a Toro Power Shovel that hasn't been run since last February. A couple pumps on the primer, engaged the choke and it fired right up.

Today, I decided to fire up my Jonsereds 670 chainsaw that hasn't been run since the fall of 2007. Added gas, ten pulls and it fired right up. It also was run out of fuel and stored dry.

Machines with diaphragm carbs should always be run dry before storing.

Is it a PB-250? Echo was covering replacement carburetors on those about a year ago. I can't remember the specific reason for it though.

Take it apart spray down with carb cleaner and spray through all the tiny holes until it sprays out. (don't spray yourself in the face) You don't have to buy a rebuild kit if you're careful removing the gaskets. 2 stroke carbs are easy to clean. They only go together one way for the most part. Turn in the adjustment screws until they seat. Count the number of turns. Actually yours is so new it doesn't have adjustment screws that you turn with a screwdriver so don't worry about that part. It takes me about an hour or so take apart and clean and reassemble. You can take it to the dealer but it will take 3 weeks to get back and they will charge you around 100 bucks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: Gebo
Isn't there some way to clean them? Seafoam??? We are now buying alcohol free gas, thank goodness!i

Buy a carb rebuild kit. When you take it apart, clean it out with a solvent(carb cleaner should work).

Add a double dose of Seafoam to you're 2 cycle mix and let it run the tank dry. May or may not work but it is the cheapest alternative and I have personaly seen this work.

I'll take a wild guess and say that the ethanol in the fuel slightly dissolved the flexible fuel pickup in the gas tank. So, the engine does not pick up a steady flow of fuel until you turn it upside down.

I've been battling with this on my lawn equipment for the last year. It's been a real problem. I picked up some yellow "Tygon" tubing at the local lawn equip store. It lasts about a year with ethanol in the gas.

So, I've replaced all of the lines, and switched to 100LL Avgas, with zero ethanol. So far, so good!

Originally Posted By: Big_Kat
Don't ECHO's have a 5 year warranty?

Yes, but fuel related issues normally won't be covered (that's true for most every gas powered product from any brand).

I agree with Cujet. Start your troubleshooting at the source. Ethanol starts doing its damage at the fuel pick and fuel lines. Best bet is to just replace them, as they often seem clear but won't deliver enough fuel.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
Don't ECHO's have a 5 year warranty?

Yes, but fuel related issues normally won't be covered (that's true for most every gas powered product from any brand).

Ahh,, that's a shame. As mentioned before check fuel lines and carb.

Originally Posted By: boraticus

I must be lucky having a 1987 FS180 that is stored wet with a full tank and until last year finally needed a new diaphragm...

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
Is it a PB-250? Echo was covering replacement carburetors on those about a year ago. I can't remember the specific reason for it though.

Thank you and the original poster for this thread. I bought a new PB-250 back in April (2011) and it has begun to exhibit very similar problems (bogs at full throttle, recently won't run at less than 25% choke). When new I mixed one gallon of V-power 93 octane with a small bottle of PowerX Blend (supplied Echo oil) and ran it through the summer and then mixed another gallon in late September/early October which is pretty much all gone. Since it is a mainstream available model (Home Depot) and the Echo oil is supposed to have a stabilizer, I sure hope this product is not that sensitive to fuel quality.

Since the leaves are mostly cleaned up (save 1 stubborn maple), I will be contacting Echo regarding warranty repairs - hopefully they will make good.

I must be lucky having a 1987 FS180 that is stored wet with a full tank and until last year finally needed a new diaphragm...

I've got a 1984 Stihl FS80AV brush cutter that's still running strong. All original and haven't done anything to it other than remove the screen from the muffler and clean the spark plug occasionally.

Didn't use if for two years then pulled it out to do some brush work on my snowmobile trails. Took a bit to get it fired and had to set the adjustment screws a little to get it running perfect. It's been getting quite a work out. I've gone through several tanks of fuel using the saw blade on it. Way easier than being bent over with a chain saw.

Way easier than being bent over with a chain saw.

Yes it is, and those harnesses make everything a breeze!

Well, the Seafoam didn't fix it yet. The blower continues to run upside down like a charm and the Echo weedeater will die when run wide open. The weedeater will throttle up like a champ with quick burst but when I hold it wide open it just diiieeessss....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back