Scared to buy a Used Car. Drugs in Car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Loobed
A guy on another forum found several pounds of marijuana stashed in a VW bus. He called the police and they removed it. They said it looked like it had been in there for over 20 years.

I read about someone finding a gun stashed in a car. The car was originally a rental car.

My friend works on auction cars and repossessions. He has found a lot of strange things in side cars, but never dope or money. He found a large canvas tool bag full of very used sex toys: [censored], strap-ons, etc.

My and my friends found a large Hefty bag full of marijuana inside the trunk of a car at the junk yard.

Yikes. I think I'd rather find cocaine than THAT.

Originally Posted By: Popinski

No one is safe anymore!!

There are plenty of things to worry about when purchasing a used car, but this really isn't on my list...

If you're this worried about stuff, you probably shouldn't be driving! Your chances of getting in a fatal accident are probably much more likely than someone someone's drug stash being left behind in your car. I imagine most dealers want to hang onto their pounds of drugs.

In the US, the state has to prove the drugs were yours--just being in the car isn't enough. If you don't have any drug charges or arrests, the DA would almost certainly not press charges--particularly in the current climate. They're only going to charge cases they can win fairly easily. While I'm sure getting arrested wouldn't be fun, in the US you'd probably have little to worry about if the drugs really didn't belong to you. No idea about Mexico or Canada, though.

perhaps dumping somewhere that doesn't involve flushing it into our water supply? That probably is the safest way but we already flush lots of prescription drugs into water supply. And yes, notifying any government agency is a risky choice.

There was a case in Texas when a guy bought a used car, and they found a marijuana seed under the passenger floor mat, and he got 10 years in prison. Horrible wickedness and injustice.
Things are changing now.

ha. i'd love to see the responses on some other forums.

jackpot! sell it! smoke it! lol.

i would call the police. if you call them and tell them that you found it and dont want it, they wont lock you up. if you wait for them to find it, well you're outta luck

Originally Posted By: hardcore302
ha. i'd love to see the responses on some other forums.

jackpot! sell it! smoke it! lol.

i would call the police. if you call them and tell them that you found it and dont want it, they wont lock you up. if you wait for them to find it, well you're outta luck

In the article, the owner of the minivan didn't even know until the mechanic found it while repairing the vehicle(power window "issue"). Imagine if that mechanic was a cop, that guy would have been in jail for life.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
Don't buy a car with 20 inch rims!

+1

Last edited:
If I found a large stash of coke in a car in my posession, either a rental or a car I'd just bought, I think I'd be more worried about the owner of the coke than the cops.
If you can afford a decent attorney, the case would never go to court.
OTOH, no lawyer can help you with the guy looking for his stash.
I did once find a bag of weed stuffed up under the tranny tunnel carpet of a 123 diesel I'd just bought.
It went into the compost pile, along with all of our other vegetable and yard waste.
The compost pile was way in the back garden, so anybody could have put the weed in there.

The risk of disaster is a valid reason to avoid used cars/trucks. However, I think that specific risk is not worth the worry. What's the actual chance in raw, statistical numbers? It's got to be so small that it's not worth consideration.

However, a less than perfectly clean car, previously owned by a unlawful drug using individual can, potentially get a "hit" by a drug dog. Making life uncomfortable and possibly expensive. That risk is somewhat more probable.

The overall risk of "used" however, is statistically higher than you might think. Generally for maintenance or unknown problems.

Put another way, a new car, purchased at the lowest price does not actually cost appreciably more "per mile" than a used. (with a whole bunch of "if's) You must, for example, keep and properly maintain the car for a long time.

I'm not really worried about it.

I figure that I'm just as likely to run across the 1 cop in 10,000 that would plant drugs on me as I am to buy a car that someone left a controlled substance in.

Besides, most recreational drug users aren't very careful. You know how many times I've opened an ashtray to access the cigarette lighter plug for my logic probe and found a roach? Quite a few. They usually leave it in the open.

Addicts can't remember anything else is but they will eventually remember where their dope is when they start hurting bad enough.

I gave some guys a ride a few years ago when their car broke down. I knew them by association, but we weren't friends. It was late at night so I picked them up and dropped them off at a spot downtown.

about a week later I looked in the back window of my car (with black seats) and saw a few little baggies full of coke just sitting there on the seat. I immediately got nervous and thought about all the opportunities there had been in the previous week for someone else to look in and see them there. I had driven from Florida to North carolina and back - imagine if I had been pulled over somewhere up there!

I guess the one guy, who was a bartender, must have had a bunch in his pocket and some fell out.

Probably wasn't worth much, but probably enough to cause some legal problems.

What a coincidence! I'm watching this show called, "Border Wars". Border Patrol agents were shocked to find two bricks of very old and useless marijuana going South because marijuana usually goes North to sell in the USA. The Mexican national just bought the truck from an auction in the US and was questioned and got his truck all torn apart! At the end, he was not prosecuted.

Last edited:
My second 87 Mustang GT had drugs in it when I bought it! Here is the story:

One day I get a phone call from the previous owner (I had bought the car from a dealer) and he offers to pay me double what I paid for it! (didn't even ask me what I paid for it either) I turned him down. He phones back and asks me if I found any "plastic" under the seats, claims it was from a new interior. I say no. Earlier that day someone had come to my door and made up a fake name as to someone they were looking for. That same day, my car is broken into, but I don't see anything stolen from it. The only reason I know it was broken into was because they broke the lock mechanism and the key would no longer open the driver's door. And on closer inspection I saw slim jim marks. So I phone the police and tell them the whole story and they immediately suspect that the previous owner had drugs stashed in the car and wanted them back. So they bring in the canine unit to check and the dog goes insane! The police say the smell of the drugs will stay around for a short while, so that's why the dog went nuts, even though the drugs were no longer in the car. Imagine I had crossed the border with this car! Very scary!!!

99.99% of used car sellers (and thus used cars) aren't up to anything fishy. There are bigger things in life to worry about.

Originally Posted By: Spazdog

Addicts can't remember anything else is but they will eventually remember where their dope is when they start hurting bad enough.

That isn't what Marijuana does to you

Originally Posted By: FXjohn

Yeah, that would be heroin/pain killers. Bad stuff. I don't know why anyone would choose to start a habit like that.

Originally Posted By: CBR.worm
Originally Posted By: FXjohn

Yeah, that would be heroin/pain killers. Bad stuff. I don't know why anyone would choose to start a habit like that.

It is because the reality they face is so painful that they will use anything to take their minds away from that painful reality.

Anyway, the drug related incidents wouldn't be so bad if our laws weren't so insane.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back