New Fusion. Where to jack?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got a 2012 Fusion with the I4. I usually jack my cars, Honda, Mazda on the brace/frame member which runs under the engine at the center line.
Where is the recommended location to lift the front of the Fusion?
I've searched but can't find a website which offers good maint. tips and service info on the car. The owners manual is absolutely useless..."take it to my dealer"
Thanks for any help on the subject.
Smoky

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless they placed a jack point in the front (my Toyota has one VERY handy. My new 2011 other brand does NOT) then you'll either have to jack it up at the points behind the front wheels or drive it up on ramps.

The dealership would put it on a lift. I use ramps for everything.

Enjoy the new ride!

Bill

I jack up my Fusion with a floor jack behind either front wheel - under the subframe where the control arm mounts - it's a nice beefy area. I also place a small block of wood between the car and the jack so I can distribute the lifting force evenly under the boxed section of subframe that I'm lifting.

To get the room I need to fit the jack under the car I drive up on a thin piece of wood then on to a 2x4.

They must give you emergency tire changing instructions. Usually it's a rocker panel pinch weld on a unibody. That is not always the best place for a floor jack with a wider saddle, but at least shouldn't collapse.

Most of my cars have squarish subframes that end with a giant bolt on either side of the firewall. This bolt is a pretty good place to jack, then I can stick the stands under the rocker pinch weld.

Get us pictures of your undercarriage, and maybe we'll all have some bright ideas.

Bill,
Quote:
I use ramps for everything.

What about brake jobs?

Personally I have no use for ramps - you can't work on the brakes or suspension and you can't let the car down to drain out that last little bit of oil, trans fluid or coolant.

Originally Posted By: cos
Bill,
Quote:
I use ramps for everything.

What about brake jobs?

Personally I have no use for ramps - you can't work on the brakes or suspension and you can't let the car down to drain out that last little bit of oil, trans fluid or coolant.

I have not done a brake job for years.

Of course IF I needed to get to a suspension part or tire I would jack it up.
33.gif

If you are so concerned with getting the "last" bit of oil out you better take apart the engine.

In everyone one of my vehicles (and most in the past) they drain MORE when the front end is on ramps than sitting level.

Bill

That seems crazy....surely they gotta have some sort of "how to" on what to do to mount the spare.......but yea, typically I jack it up right behind the front wheels where all the weight is at, and the best grip.

Originally Posted By: ahoier
That seems crazy....surely they gotta have some sort of "how to" on what to do to mount the spare.......but yea, typically I jack it up right behind the front wheels where all the weight is at, and the best grip.

I think the issue is that the manual lists *only* the pinch weld notch as a jacking point--so there's no place to put the jack stand if you're jacking from that point as well...

My Freestyle has the same thing; no jacking points listed in the service manual or owner's manual. Along the pinch weld, there are three layers sandwiched together which run towards the back, then it goes down to 2 layers. I make sure to put the jack where are are still 3 layers (just like the notched area), then put the stand on the official jacking point.

I've also jacked on the subframe, out as far towards the corner as possible. I prefer to jack from there.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
I have not done a brake job for years.

Then you're brakes must be totally worn. Chop chop, Bill!

Sorry, couldn't resist.

I do like ramps, too, but my garage floor is too slick for my steel ramps with a RWD vehicles. They were great for the Audi, and did a fine job for doing the rear differential fluid in the G.

Spend the money right now and get the factory service manual; either printed or electronic. That would be the best investment. Most likely, the service manual will give the jacking points too.

Since you already plunked down thousands of dollars, few extra hundred will not even be noticed :)

- Vikas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back