Bridgestones RE970 price

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys. I just turned 20k on my GTI. I just performed the 4th tire rotation on my OEM Pirelli's. The fronts now have 6/32nds and the rears 5/32nds. These tires have become very loud over the last couple thousand miles. These have a UTQG of 400. I have owned Pirelli's in the past, and know they won't last near the UTQG rating.

I will be looking for a good all-season tire for the Northwest. I would like to find one with a UTQG of 400 or more. These two caught my eye.

Bridgestone RE970 AS

t_20110714.brihzm.ang.jpg

Kumho 4X

t_20110913.kumhzg.ang.jpg

What I like about the Kumho's is the price. They are $130 a piece for 225/40/18. The RE970's are $201.00 a piece.
crazy2.gif

I owned the RE960's in the past. They were a super great tire for the Northwest weather. Are they worth the $284.00 preminum over the Kumho's?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have some Potenza RE760 Sport for my Mustang and they perform well for the money. They don't have too much road noise and what I like about these (although it doesn't apply to your situation I don't think) is they are non directional, so I can rotate the tires in a traditional criss cross pattern. Then again I also buy Potenza's because I think Bridgestone's will last and don't have the higher price tag.

Originally Posted By: TooManyWheels
Is the OP looking at the 760 or 960's?

Exactly. I was confused by the title and the pic
confused.gif

I have a set of RE760 Sport on my Acura and they're great. I may go for a set of RE960s on my wife's car.

I found these Coopers. It looks to be a new tire from them. It has a similiar pattern to the Kumho's. My parents are very happy with the Cooper CS4's I chose for their PT Cruiser. I will call a few tire companies tomorrow and price them out.

CooperZeonRS3-A-adj.jpg

I put those Coopers on my Legacy GT a month or so ago. So far I am impressed. Very quiet and don't pound over expansion joints. Great in the rain(yes, I spent a week in the rain in the PNW with them). A far, far better all around tire than the Dunlop Signature Sports they replaced.

To early to say if they will stay quiet in the long run. At this time I can't say anything negative about them. Give them a try if you want.

Ed

I can't find a local tire dealer that stock or even can order these in Portland? I can buy them off of tiredepotdotcom, but I don't like buying tires off the internet, if I can't buy a spare tire locally if I have a blow out.

I got mine through Big O Tires, who do not appear to have an outlet in Portland. Try Discount Tire. They had them here, but Big O beat their price.

Ed

Originally Posted By: Finklejag
I found these Coopers. It looks to be a new tire from them. It has a similiar pattern to the Kumho's. My parents are very happy with the Cooper CS4's I chose for their PT Cruiser. I will call a few tire companies tomorrow and price them out.

CooperZeonRS3-A-adj.jpg

I have installed about 4 sets of these for a varied of customers. There main complaint has been they are noisy. I personally would not of recommended these for the cars that they were going on.

John

I would just pay the premium for the Bridgestones. People tend to be very happy with their UHP category tires. The Kumhos, at least the predecessor to the 4x, have had mixed reviews. It seems as though cheaper tires will be OK at first, then later develop noise and uniformity issues than more expensive tires do not.

I have the Potenza Pole Position RE960s on my Jetta and they are awesome tires. I have had Continentals (OEM), Kumhos and now these Bridgestones...they are the best so far. They're great in rain, good in snow (even heavy snow to a point) and they are awesome on dry roads. They seem to be wearing nice and evenly as well(2 years and ~20K miles). I know they are the outgoing version of the RE series, but the RE970s should be as good or even better as they seemed to have changed the tread design somewhat compared to the RE960s. I would definitely buy Bridgestones again.

It looks like I will be going with the Kumhos. This time of year, money is tight! With the America's Tire Black Friday $50.00 instant off. It will be worth it. America's has these tires for $130.00 a piece, DTD has them for $118.00 a piece. They said they will price match the tires and the TPMS rebuild kit. That is a $10.00 savings right there. So $506.00 OTD for 225/40/18 tires isn't too bad. Plus a $50.00 mail in rebate to boot!

I will try to sell my Pirelli's with 5/32nd's left of tread on Craigslist in help with the wheel alignment cost.

Originally Posted By: edhackett
I put those Coopers on my Legacy GT a month or so ago. So far I am impressed. Very quiet and don't pound over expansion joints. Great in the rain(yes, I spent a week in the rain in the PNW with them). A far, far better all around tire than the Dunlop Signature Sports they replaced.

To early to say if they will stay quiet in the long run. At this time I can't say anything negative about them. Give them a try if you want.

Ed

As I posted in another thread:

We usually don't get too much bad winter weather in KY(and if we do I have winter tires on the Wrangler) so I run UHP all-seasons on my Mazdaspeed 3 from Novenber to March. My last two sets were Pirelli PZero Nero All-Seasons. They performed well and both sets lasted for over 35,000 miles.

This year I decided to try the Cooper Zeon RS-A. I found them at a local tire store for only $164 each(mounting and balancing included). The shop even checked the alignment for free(and found everything was within spec).

I let them break in over 500 miles and then decided to push them just a tiny bit- I took a couple of on-ramps at double the posted advisory speed with no drama and not even a hint of tire squeal(not a particularly strenuous test I'll admit). Steering response is at least as good as the PZeros and they are acceptably quiet as well.

Wet traction is also very good, as is their resistance to hydroplaning; I drove through a heavy rainstorm at 65-70 mph with no drama at all(although I wasn't expecting any).

Now to see how they hold up over the long term.

+1 on the Bridgestone RE960's...they've been awesome on my Honda and are barely worn with about 15,000 miles on them (granted I drive mostly highway which helps). I got them on sale or probably wouldn't have bought them. They even saved my bacon in the snow...suprisingly good traction for a UHP tire (not so great steering or braking though). I'd buy another set...even if I have to pay more for them.

Originally Posted By: Finklejag
It looks like I will be going with the Kumhos. This time of year, money is tight! With the America's Tire Black Friday $50.00 instant off. It will be worth it. America's has these tires for $130.00 a piece, DTD has them for $118.00 a piece. They said they will price match the tires and the TPMS rebuild kit. That is a $10.00 savings right there. So $506.00 OTD for 225/40/18 tires isn't too bad. Plus a $50.00 mail in rebate to boot!

I will try to sell my Pirelli's with 5/32nd's left of tread on Craigslist in help with the wheel alignment cost.
You're probably not going to like them. They wear fast and they get noisy when half the tread is gone. At least that was the experience I had with the Kumhos I used to have. You get what you pay for when it comes to tires.

They finished 1st in the latest Tirerack test for their category. These have a 40,000 mile warranty. So if they wear out early, then Kumho will prorate the tire.

I've run Kumho UHP Ecstas on my Club Sport and a Kumho grand touring tire(Solus KH12 IIRC) on my wife's old E39 5er. In both cases they performed well and treadlife was more than acceptable. That said, now that I'm able to stretch my budget a bit I'm looking more at other brands- especially for UHP and track tires.

Here they are. I paid $506.00 out the door. I will be getting a $50.00 rebate card in the mail. I also noticed Kumho also had a $50.00 rebate if you buy the 4X tires on their website. I sent that in too. Both rebates go to different cities. So I will see if i get the Kumho one?

I put the used tires on Craigslist. Within one hour, someone wanted to buy them. I sold them this morning for $100.00! I couldn't be happier right now!

001-7.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back