What is liquid titanium? Should I be scared of it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been using Motocraft semi for a while, but recently picked up a bunch of Kendall since it is also a Conoco semi, but is currently about half the price of the MC.

Only thing is, it has "liquid titanium" in it, which is apparently Kendalls name for something which may or not be titanium, but which the other Conocos don't have, so it is obviously not the exact same thing.

Do I dare use it?

Quite a few people on this board have used it, and have gotten good results. Check out the UOA section for Kendall with Liquid Titanium. The titanium is contained in a new antiwear additive that has been developed by Afton Chemical. It replaces zddp that has been reduced in the latest API specifications for 20 and 30-weight oils.

I don't know what you drive but my 16 year Acura likes Kendall.
thumbsup2.gif

My guess is that Conoco puts/adds the L Titanium to ruin your engine faster than regular Kendall...

Umm I've used it in my vw, explorer and honda crv. Within 3 to 4 oci's the 3 engines all seized up, I believe the titanium acts like solder when it is heated up to operating temperature.

Just having' some fun at your expense. Of Course not I'm no oil scientist but, Kendall LT Synthetic is one stout oil. And I'll bet you could run any engine to 300K with 6000 mile oci's and the engine would br the last thing to go.

i like conoco products we ue conoco in the drums and have great results... Motorcraft got to expensive went up about $9.00 for the 5 quart container here in nj

Last edited:
As far as I understand from reading the patent by Afton Chemical, liquid titanium (Ti) is titanium-dioxide nanoparticles in an organic solvent.

ZDDP and moly (Mo) are excellent, well-proven antiwear, extreme-pressure, and/or friction-modifier (AW/EP/FM) additives. But the problem with them is that they contain phosphorus (P) and sulfur (S), which are catalyst poisons. Especially the P in ZDDP is quite bad for the catalyst if it gets to it. For that reason, phosphorus and sulfur concentration in new oils have been limited and the additive companies are trying to make new additives without P and/or S. Ti is one of the new additives trying to replace the already-excellent ZDPP and moly. Another reason is that moly is a very expensive additive. Note that moly doesn't contain P but only S and you don't need as high a concentration of Mo (200 ppm trinuclear Mo, which results in only 334 ppm S, is about optimal); so, it's much safer than ZDDP on the catalyst.

As I said, ZDDP and moly already excel in wear protection and friction reduction. For this reason, it's hard to fill their shoes. In fact, there is still a minimum ZDDP requirement in GF-5. Can Ti actually be a better additive than moly and replace it? I doubt that but this is not to say that it may still be possible. Most expensive oils use Mo in addition to Ti. Cheap oils like Mobil Super only use Ti, without Mo, as Mo is rather expensive. Mo is one of the most expensive oil additives out there, and, it's another reason why TiO_2 is being used these days -- it's much, much cheaper, being in everything from toothpaste to paint.

I think the best AW/EP/FM additive package is 600 ppm or more P (which makes up ZDDP) combined with 60 ppm or more (ideally 200 ppm) Infineum trinuclear moly. It creates an excellent AW/EP/FM layer on metal surfaces. Does it help if you also throw in some Ti in there? I don't know. But they usually throw in some boron-nitride (BN) compound in addition to ZDDP and moly, boron (B) being another FM; so, throwing in some Ti could also help as well.

Also, it's important to realize that the detergents and dispersants can also make a big difference in AW/EP/FM properties. So, a well-balanced and formulated overall additive package is needed for the best performance.

The two most common oils using the titanium are the Kendall and as mentioned the new Mobil. The few UOA's I've seen with those have been very good.

Originally Posted By: OilProfessor
The Professor states that it is a marketing gimmick.

The Professor seems to make rather a lot of statements without supporting evidences. Not saying that the Professor is wrong in this case, but some supporting argument or documentation would be far more effective than "The Professors states blah blah blah ...". After all, one of the purposes of this forum is for people to learn and exchange ideas, which is rather hard to do when someone is making pronouncements as if from on top of Mount Olympus.

After all, for all we know The Professor is consulting a Magic 8 Ball for his answers. We'll know for sure if we see "The Professor states, reply hazy, try again".

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: engineerscott

The Professor seems to make rather a lot of statements without supporting evidences. Not saying that the Professor is wrong in this case, but some supporting argument or documentation would be far more effective than "The Professors states blah blah blah ...". After all, one of the purposes of this forum is for people to learn and exchange ideas, which is rather hard to do when someone is making pronouncements as if from on top of Mount Olympus.

After all, for all we know The Professor is consulting a Magic 8 Ball for his answers. We'll know for sure if we see "The Professor states, reply hazy, try again".

I've noticed that also.

Titanium doesn't substitute ZDDP.
Cheap titanium does substitute a part of expensive Moly.
That's why I prefer Motorcraft full synthetic motor oil without cheap Titanium.

Can kryptonite be far behind? There was a guy on TV promoting a new oil with kryptonite and his name was Clark K something. Did not catch the last name. I think is suppose to be famous.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak

I've noticed that also.

Also notice how he registered his account 10 days ago and is clearly another internet troll.

Afton Chemical (independent) is one of the few major manufacturers of oil additives, also including Infineum (of Exxon Mobil and Shell), Lubrizol (independent), and Oronite (of Chevron). Titanium additive was invented by Afton and they have filed a patent application for that. Therefore, it's not a marketing gimmick.

For my opinion on titanium vs. moly, see my previous post.

whats with all the bashing of Liquid Ti suddenly?
Titanium Dioxide is used in soaps, lotions and cosmetics as a whitener. It's probably worse for your skin, than it is for your engine.

"should I be scared of it" lol classic.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak

I've noticed that also.

Titanium dioxide is an AW additive but the "Liquid Titanium" advertising is certainly a marketing gimmick particularly in light of the fact that it is a cheaper alternative to moly which most premium oils already contain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back