Amsoil changes their efficiency "results"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

It's clear if you look at it this way: I take these test results posted on a companies website or in their publications designed to sell product with a grain of salt. After all they custom tailor their tests so their product shines, then pick who they want to compete against. Typical I'd say.

Well, I'm not sure I'd "take it with a grain of salt", I think you can actually clean some pretty useful information from it, particularly as it relates to the other filters. I certainly believe the test results. The ISO test listed is a standardized test, and results are easy to duplicate. For me, the most useful info often comes from the competitor's results (just like Amsoil's gear oil test). The 820S and the other domestic OEM filters look quite good; the A02 didn't look good at all. That's nice information to know.

As far as "why didn't they test other premium filters", well, the answer to that seems pretty obvious--and you're totally right. You pick the competitive filters to make your product look the best. But that doesn't totally invalidate the data the presented.

Originally Posted By: JOD
demarpaint said:
As far as "why didn't they test other premium filters", well, the answer to that seems pretty obvious--and you're totally right. You pick the competitive filters to make your product look the best. But that doesn't totally invalidate the data the presented.

Which is why I take it with a grain of salt. Other than that we agree.
smile.gif
The 820S did do well.

Anybody remember this thread: EaO

I was surprised at the low rating of the Honda filter myself. They are usually pretty anal about stuff like that.

As was said above, I'd like to see a similar comparison with other high end filters. You'd expect a filter that cost 2-3 times more to do a better job. Lt's see the RP, MP Bosch high end stuff here. Even the "lowly" P1. I'd bet they all are in the same ballpark. I'd be surprised if Amsoil didn't test them too but were too smart to list the data.

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
Anybody remember this thread: EaO

I was surprised at the low rating of the Honda filter myself. They are usually pretty anal about stuff like that.

As was said above, I'd like to see a similar comparison with other high end filters. You'd expect a filter that cost 2-3 times more to do a better job. Lt's see the RP, MP Bosch high end stuff here. Even the "lowly" P1. I'd bet they all are in the same ballpark. I'd be surprised if Amsoil didn't test them too but were too smart to list the data.

Bingo!

Originally Posted By: Y_K
Excellent results @ 20 microns for other filters as well. And Ford FL820S is $3.67 at my WMart. Where are the premium filters though? Why are they not comparing to M1, Bosch D+, RP filters?
And what are those other filters @ 15 microns?
Clear it is not.

Seems to be a reasonable question....... and put a Baldwin B329 in there.

G

. Lt's see the RP, MP Bosch high end stuff here. Even the "lowly" P1. I'd bet they all are in the same ballpark. I'd be surprised if Amsoil didn't test them too but were too smart to list the data.

Kind of like their oil tests that don't include Mobil 1, Redline or Motul ?

They make a very good product, but if you make a premium product well then test it aginst other premiun products.

G-

Originally Posted By: GCode
They make a very good product, but if you make a premium product well then test it aginst other premiun products.

G-

Why? If they did it they might find thier stuff is only as good as the other companies. Once that got out it would be hard to justify the more expensive purchase.

Really hard for anyone to make the call as for what is 'as good as' OR simply 'good enough' vs. overkill.

The latter is more the argument/conversation tone with Amsoil. They don't make inferior products in general. That's the point. You pay a premium for the high-end, it's up to you if you want it. It's another debate about what is 'needed' or not.

As far as filtration efficiency? You can only get so good on a FF oil filter in a passenger cars, etc. This isn't some bypass.

Basically, all filters such as Amsoil EaO, Bosch Distance Plus, Mobil 1 EP, Royal Purple, etc etc are all AS GOOD AS they will get, probably.

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
Really hard for anyone to make the call as for what is 'as good as' OR simply 'good enough' vs. overkill.

The latter is more the argument/conversation tone with Amsoil. They don't make inferior products in general. That's the point. You pay a premium for the high-end, it's up to you if you want it. It's another debate about what is 'needed' or not.

As far as filtration efficiency? You can only get so good on a FF oil filter in a passenger cars, etc. This isn't some bypass.

Basically, all filters such as Amsoil EaO, Bosch Distance Plus, Mobil 1 EP, Royal Purple, etc etc are all AS GOOD AS they will get, probably.

True Jim, and is probably why Amsoil hand picked who they tested against. After all why pay a premium price, PC fee, and shipping in most instances for something you can buy locally for less, that will perform better, as well, or almost as well. JMO

Originally Posted By: GCode
. Lt's see the RP, MP Bosch high end stuff here. Even the "lowly" P1. I'd bet they all are in the same ballpark. I'd be surprised if Amsoil didn't test them too but were too smart to list the data.

Kind of like their oil tests that don't include Mobil 1, Redline or Motul ?

G-

I am sure they have. They just share the results they choose to share.

I understand why Amsoil dumbed down the EAO oil filter, but I'm dissapointed never the lsss. I was hoping that they would come out with a 10 micron absolute filter that had to be changed at OEM intervals or less.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: JOD

To me, the most interesting part of that chart is that there's finally a real ISO test result on the 820S--and it looks really good! It's certainly a lot better than the generic "80% @ 20 Microns" previously listed by Ford.

Yeah, I always thought Ford's "80% @ 20 microns" rating of their Motorcraft filters was a joke and disservice to their product. Why didn't Ford state the real performance of their own filters? I find it very strange.

+1 - Ford could have marketed the actual results and perhaps increase the sales numbers or reduce the "waffling" that potential customers do when choosing a filter for the modular Ford engines.

Hmm..wonder why the Puro PL30001 Based on the same ISO 4548-12 test and 99.9% at 20 microns wasn't on the comparison list?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back