Best Windshield Washer Fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

Just another quick question here. I've been using the orange RainX stuff, which I'm now being told may not be such a good thing, since it is not good for paint (which my car does overspray on to).

I live in Boston where temps usually are in the single digits to teens during the winter, what should I be using in here instead? Any recommendations. I'll need a pre-packaged fluid, I don't have the resources where I am to be doing any mixing.

Thanks.

Originally Posted By: smc733
Hi All,

Just another quick question here. I've been using the orange RainX stuff, which I'm now being told may not be such a good thing, since it is not good for paint (which my car does overspray on to).

I live in Boston where temps usually are in the single digits to teens during the winter, what should I be using in here instead? Any recommendations. I'll need a pre-packaged fluid, I don't have the resources where I am to be doing any mixing.

Thanks.

I always use either the orange Rain-X in winter or the green Rain-X in summer and haven't seen any issues on paint. Where are you getting this from?

It'll leave a bit of residue on paint that's easy to see on flat black...but it washes right off. Never had an issue with it myself and I've been using it for years.

I haven't heard of rain x washer fluid casing problems with paint. I laso use the purple washer fluid that walmart carries. It's not supertech brand but a different brand.

The Rain X leaves a pink/yellow film on my white car.The jets are on the hood and the dribble leaves stains that dont come out fully.There are pink/yellow/red fluids (Like "Winter Warrior") that dont contain Rain X additives,but wether they would stain or not I dont know.

I buy whatever the gas stations have. It's just the cheap blue stuff. Never let me down.

I avoid RainX because it can cause some nasty glare from headlamps at night.

I prefer just the cheap blue stuff. Does all I need it to, and I can usually find it on sale this time of year for close to a buck a jug. Normally the brand name is Splash. Around here, I've found it's important to check and make sure it has anti-freeze additives as some stores will carry non-antifreeze versions in identical bottles. Not a good idea IMO.

The question is what is the best windshield washer fluid.

Prestone De-Icer. Good to -34F. "Melts 98% more ice than Rain-X."

There you go.

In the winter I use Prestone De-Icer Washer Fluid. It doesn't damage the paint, but it does streak and smear much more than the summer formula Prestone.

I use rain X, but I find unless its snowing that it smears and wipers dont clear the windshield as well. I like the water repelling features, so I mix rain x, half and half with some Motomaster Green washer fluid, (you could mix half and half with plain blue stuff too)

I have been using the orange Rain-X for a while now, but I am changing my mind about the stuff. It seems to leave a greasy smearing on the glass that is a pain to finally get rid of when driving.

I tried new wipers to be objective about it, but that did not help. Going to try something different. Down here we don't have snow concerns, but heavy dew and foggy mornings are a pain with the Rain-X.

I use Preston deicer year round. I know what people mean by the greasiness of Rain-X.

Consumer Reports says to replace wipers 2X a year. So to me its better to get Anco for a bargain price at Walmart and do it 2X a year than a super one and maybe only 1X a year.

The owner's manual in any car says to ONLY use washer fluid in the reservior. The reason is because washer fluid is the only thing that provides freezing protection, is safe for paint, and is effective and cleaning the windshield.
Originally Posted By: smc733
Hi All,

Thanks.

I just use the cheap blue stuff. I haven't found more expensive fluids to be noticeably more effective. The Advance Auto near my house sometimes gives it away...literally, the price tag on the shelf says "free."

The blue stuff is usually rated for -20°. The better stuff is good down to ~-35°. It hasn't dropped down below -20 in a couple of years here, BUT, the alcohol does evaporate some even in the winter and so I prefer to be prepared if it does drop below ~-20°.

In climates that never get that cold, the blue is likely good enough.

I use a local castrol product bought from bp servos, it works great. It has saved my butt on an occasion in poor visibility, it is all i use now. It is ammonia based.

I like the Rain-X stuff. I tried the yellow Prestone last year, and wasn't impressed. The Rain-X stuff seems to do better overall. If there's that much snow built up on the windshield, I'll scrape it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back