Jiffy Lube Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently acquired a 2012 Nissan Altima company fleet vehicle and I'm required to take the vehicle into Jiffy Lube for service. I'm curious as to what kind of oil Jiffy Lube use for vehicles that it services?

I've always conducted maintenance on my own vehicle so this will be the first time in a long time where I take a vehicle to a shop for an oil change.

-ttvr4

Some "name brand" 5/30 or 5/20. Although, Ive heard that some dont know what grade is getting delivered, it just comes out of the 5/30 guns. Id be more worried about their filters than the oil though.

As long as you keep it serviced regularly, I think you will be fine. Just do not have anything besides oil and filter changed there. Even then I would check the oil before I leave the place.

Not that it's your fault, but Jiffy Lube is notorious for being cheapskates when it comes to service. I have heard stories, their quickie changes don't even allow all of the old oil to drain out, so you get three quarts of new oil and keep one quart of your gucky oil. Defeats the purpose of an oil change, no?

They're also known to cheat their customers and do silly stuff like leave the oil cap off of your fill hole. If it were up to me I'd run the other direction, but since it's a company vehicle your hands are kinda tied.

I would assume their oil gets delivered in drums. The fleet vehicle is through Enterprise Fleet Rental Program. I think I can only take my vehicle to Jiffy Lube, Firestone and Wheels Works for service. OCI on this vehicle is 7,500 miles.

Unfortunately, I do not have the option to change my own oil on this vehicle.

-ttvr4

It seems those type of places vary depending on management. Not all Jiffy Lubes are equal. I would watch their work and check the oil after. If they are pushy and try to up sell I would try another location.

Originally Posted By: ttvr4
I would assume their oil gets delivered in drums. The fleet vehicle is through Enterprise Fleet Rental Program. I think I can only take my vehicle to Jiffy Lube, Firestone and Wheels Works for service. OCI on this vehicle is 7,500 miles.

Unfortunately, I do not have the option to change my own oil on this vehicle.

-ttvr4

Is there anything stopping you from doing an oil change after Jiffy Lube do your oil change?

You are required to go to Jiffy Lube. Does not mean you can't do what you want after you go there!

Last edited:
It's a lease. What's the worst that could happen?

As fun as it is to mock JL, there are people that work there, and they do preventative maintenance as well as the low-ma-on-the-totem pole would at shops with better reps.

Oil change places tend to often have the most basic oils. Sometimes lower than even the cheapest we can find on the shelves of a parts store. It is made and sold just for these quick lube places. They expect you to go the 3 months or 3000 miles max.

With very regular maintenance like that, it's still probably perfectly fine.

However, if you're that concerned and don't mind being wasteful, you could always change it when you get home.

If someday you won't even have this vehicle in the not too distant future, I don't see it being such a big concern if you truly go for the regular maintenance right on schedule.

Last edited:
Every Jiffy Lube I've seen featured Pennzoil, so the oil itself is excellent. I think one thing most of you overlooked is that the vehicle doesn't actually belong to the poster. If some lube monkey messes something up, it really isn't his problem.

When I drove a service van, they told me when and where to get my oil changed. Beyond that, I really didn't care. It wasn't my van.

Now if the OP has the opportunity of someday purchasing this vehicle at some point, then yeah, I would be a bit more interested in what was happening in the service bay.

Since it is a company car do not worry about it. The company has chosen Jiffy Lube; just keep it changed at the right intervals. You might want to get some scotch tape or a magic marker so you can tell if the oil filter was actually changed.

It's a company vehicle. Who cares. If the engine blows it's not your fault. BUT I would check over it once I got home. IE make sure oil cap is on. Drain plug and oil filter aren't leaking. Just to make sure the engine isn't going to seize up when you're in the middle of a busy intersection. Make sense?

You can always ask the Jiffy Lube what they'll be using too.

If it's a common product you've seen talked bout here, Pennzoil Yellow Bottle, Formula Shell, etc. with regular intervals, you know you're going to do great.

Thanks for all the input! I do have the option to purchase the vehicle for my personal use at a huge discount after 3 years or 60,000 miles, which ever comes first. The thought of possibly purchasing the vehicle did cross my mind...

-ttvr4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back