Crossover Tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking to replace tires on my 05 Honda CRV
currently some Dayton Quadra LE's from when I bought it used 3 years ago.

215/65/R16 98T is the original factory spec.

Have read Consumer reports and Tirerack.com's reviews and ratings. I've also price shopped online (tirerack, discounttiredirect) as well as locals LesScwab,Commercial,Sears,Costco.

I live in ID and don't run dedicated snows, so it will need to have a decent snow performance. I make a couple runs a month to the local ski hill 30 min from town. Nothing too severe.

Was looking at Hankook H727s pretty hard with the rebate and low online price but their load rating is only 96T vs 98T.
Would this be a real world issue with use and could I get anyone to install them?

Other tires I've considered
Cooper CS4 (No rebate or sale)
BF Goodrich Traction TA ($50 online rebate)
Bridgestone Dualer 684 (OE tire on sale costco but doesn't have great reviews)
Bridgestone Ecopia 422 (On sale costco, LRR tire, snow traction unknown)
Goodyear Comfortred Touring (most expensive, decent reviews)
Various Michelins (Higher prices, if bought from smaller dealers rebates may be in play)

I'm open to any and all suggestions. This forum is a wonderful resource.

Do you tow with this vehicle? If not, don't worry about the load rating. It's a difference of about 100 lbs/tire of load rating. Not worth sweating unless you're towing something fairly heavy.

Forget the Ecopias.

The H727 seem to have fared poorly in TireRack's tests but the people that buy them apparently approve of them. Good survey results. That's usually what I buy tires by. Seem like a great value.

The Cooper CS4 has a good reputation.

I just picked up a set of General Grabber HTS based on Tire Rack tests. So far they are great, a quiet good handling tire and with price matching they were also inexpensive. Only real downside I've read is tread wear is not too great on some vehicles.

Well it appears that DTD is having a $50 off 4 sale after thanksgiving.

I've narrowed my choices down to
Yokohama AVID TRZs
or
BF Goodrich Traction TAs

Both slightly older designs but seem to be well respected tires in this segment.
Price ends up being close

Which is the better tire for a light crossover. Looking for decent traction, wear, and snow ability?

Thanks again

I like the Yokohama Avid TRZ in your case. I had them on my Corolla and originally put them down because the tires felt like they were really getting hard in cold weather. I think it may have been the dampers as much as the tires, and the tires really do have excellent snow traction. I drove through heavy snow quite easily in that little Corolla.

Originally Posted By: dave63
I just picked up a set of General Grabber HTS based on Tire Rack tests. So far they are great, a quiet good handling tire and with price matching they were also inexpensive. Only real downside I've read is tread wear is not too great on some vehicles.

I think a lot of these 2nd tier brands just have soft sidewalls & you just need to keep them inflated higher all the time to keep the treadwear longer.

That said, I love my Generals (Altimax & GMax) & they have both are well on their way to 40K+.

Give a look at BF Goodrich Long Trail T/A Tour. This is the new version and much better than the old version, so I read. These are a "cross over" vehicle tire according to BF Goodrich. I'm using them on my F-150 Super Cab. The truck doesn't see many heavy loads and doesn't go off road. I wanted a better riding tire that is quiet and has good grip in all weather conditions. I've had them for 1 year now and I'm very pleased with them. They are super quiet, good in the snow and great on wet and dry roads.

Whimsey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back