Kendall 5w-30 Full Synthetic w/ Liquid Titanium

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello- Been around awhile, did more reading than anything. I recently began working at a shop that sells Kendall 5w-30 full synthetic and was wondering how it tested, apparently I’m the guinea pig. So I’ve run Mobil 1 5w-30 full syn. since new. I’ll be sending in a sample of that to compare a known performing oil in my engine versus the new Kendall with “liquid titanium”(thought that was just a marketing idea, nope.)

Blackstone labs report

Kendall 5w-30 full synthetic with liquid titanium

Virgin Sample

Comments:

Here's your virgin sample of Kendall oil. It's one of only two oils we know of that use titanium as an additive, and it's only been recently that they started using it. The TBN starts out nice and strong at 8.2, and we found no moisture or solid contamination in this sample. Lots of virgin samples have traces of solids in them, probably from light oil oxidation, but that's not an issue here. No unusual metals found, either. This oil should work nicely for your engines.

Elements/ Sample/ Universal Averages
ALUMINUM/ 0/ 0
CHROMIUM/ 0/ 0
IRON/ 0/ 1
COPPER/ 0/ 0
LEAD/ 0/ 0
TIN/ 0/ 2
MOLYBDENUM/ 21/ 0
NICKEL/ 0/ 58
MANGANESE/ 0/ 0
SILVER/ 0/ 0
TITANIUM/ 54/ 0
POTASSIUM/ 3/ 1
BORON/ 169/ 57
SILICON/ 2/ 5
SODIUM/ 0/ 31
CALCIUM/ 928/ 1821
MAGNESIUM/ 5/ 62
PHOSPHORUS/ 427/ 618
ZINC/ 514/ 754
BARIUM/ 0/ 0

Sample/ Should Be
SUS Viscosity @ 210°F/ 60.4/ 57-64
cSt Viscosity @ 100°C/ 10.32/ 9.4-11.6
Flashpoint in °F/ 410/ >405
Fuel %/ 0/ Antifreeze %/ 0/ 0
Water %/ 0/ Insolubles %/ 0/ TBN/ 8.2

Troy, welcome to BITOG! How nice to finally see a VOA of the Kendall GT-1 Full Synthetic with Liquid Titanium. I haven't seen any Kendall formulas with titanium in the UOA section yet, so I hope we will soon. What is the retail price per quart?

Looks weak to me.

Where are the cleaning additives?

Moly is low...but boron looks good.

TBN is average.

I would have expected better.

"No unusual metals"

Universal average for Ti is Zero, and this has 54. Wouldn't that count?

I was looking at the PDS and the B'stone # dont match C-P's numbers for zinc and phos, Ti add @ .01% (100PPM). Is this B'stone boo-boo again or misformulation? I'd have them run a sample again gratis as it's suspect.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
I was looking at the PDS and the B'stone # dont match C-P's numbers for zinc and phos, Ti add @ .01% (100PPM). Is this B'stone boo-boo again or misformulation? I'd have them run a sample again gratis as it's suspect.

The sample came straight out of the bottle, though it wasn't an unopened bottle. Either way I doubt they'll do a N/C retest.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Numbers are wrong - Ca, Zn, P are too low.

How so?

Look at http://www.conocophillipslubricants.com/documents/conoco/industrial_oils/Ken%20GT-1%20Full%20Synthetic%20MO%20(Ti)%20TDS%20Web.pdf

MUST be
Phosphorus: 720 ppm (instead of 427ppm)
Zn: 850 ppm (instead of 514 ppm)
Titanium: 100ppm (instead of 54 ppm)

???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back