Denso Oil Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
The picture of the filter above is like the design that came on my truck from the factory, but it is internally very different from the Toyota filters my dealer sells. It is also different from the Denso branded cross reference equivalent, but they are all different part numbers.

I was surprised when I opened one like that and it had metal endcaps, when the picture on the box is like the dealer provided Toyota OEM open ended/glued pleat style.

Originally Posted By: river_rat
The picture of the filter above is like the design that came on my truck from the factory, but it is internally very different from the Toyota filters my dealer sells. It is also different from the Denso branded cross reference equivalent, but they are all different part numbers.

I just find that odd since your truck is made here in the USA not in Japan. So Toyota imports a special japanese filter just for assembly? Now that is a waste of money. haha Toyota you listening??

What are you guys using to cut these filters open with anyway? I have been meaning to open one of my OEM Denso Thailand specials and see what surprise there is inside. Just dont know what to use to open it. A Dremel?

Jeff

Ya. I dont know why they use an import filter. Maybe just for break-in to catch more dirt than the dealer Densos? I don't know.

Use a filter cutter from JEGS online or I use a big pipe cutter fom Harbor Freight. You can use a dremel, but then you have metal chips in the media so you can't tell if they came from the engine or not.

Originally Posted By: Jeffs2006EvoIX

I just find that odd since your truck is made here in the USA not in Japan. So Toyota imports a special japanese filter just for assembly? Now that is a waste of money. haha Toyota you listening??

The engines are probably made in Japan and shipped over to the US factory for assembly into the car. I doubt the engines are made from scratch in the US ... but if so, then apparently they also ship over the special OEM filter for build-up.

Originally Posted By: Jeffs2006EvoIX
I have noticed this Japan vs Thailand on my OEM filters for my Mitsubishi, now I am hearing on this thread that they are possibly different? I would imagine that Denso makes the filters to the OEM specs. So why would a company like Toyota or Mitsubishi have seperate filters made for the JDM and USDM markets? Makes no sense to me.

I feel they are the same filters, just made in a different factory to save money. Like everyone else. I cannot imagine quality is suffering at all. Now if you buy a "Denso" brand filter WITHOUT the OEM logos on it, then those may possibly be made differently since they are not OEM spec filters. But the ones with your Cars Logo and Car Brand Part number on the canister I am sure are the same design as what came with the car. If someone can show me a Mits or a toyota filter, Denso, identical numbers, one from Japan and one from Thailand and show pics of them both, and can prove they are different, then I will stand corrected. I just don't see anyone doing that yet. Any Takers on that? Im curious too.

+1

I bought 9 Denso 150-1003 blue filters from Rock Auto for $24 including the shipping. They are very well made.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back