Power Steering flush on 2007 Corolla

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMG-20111117-00131.jpg

Old P/S fluid, bought car at 84000kms, now has 120,000kms, figured i would remove the old power steering fluid and replace with some Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF. The old fluid looked pretty dirty, alot of dirt in it. Any ideas as to what it should look like?

Dont notice any difference with the steering to what it was like before, but it wasnt expensive so I figured I would get it done. Just emptied it with a turkey baster and refilled.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do a few drain and fills and drive imbetween. Much like drain and refills on a transmission.

If you get really particular you could add a Magnefine filter to the low pressure return line, which will really lower the solids and extend the life of the P/S System.

Yep, I remove the low pressure line on our Honda and 'bleed' the system, in the past I would use a large medical syringe with hose to suck out the PS fluid.

I changed it at 92k on the 04 Corolla, I'm pretty sure it was the first PSF change for this car. It looked brown (lighter colour than yours) and no dirt.
My prefered method to flush the PSF is this:
- jack up the front of the car so the wheels are off the ground
- suck the old fluid from the reservoir using your preferred method.
- put paper towels/rags under the reservoir
- disconnect the return hose (on my wife's 2004 Corolla it's the upper hose)
- put a plug on the return inlet of the reservoir or attach 6" of hose and keep it upwards (I tied it to something in the engine bay).
- put the return hose in a container. I attached a second hose to make it easier.
- fill the reservoir with new PSF
- with the engine off rotate the steering wheel from lock to lock keeping an eye on the reservoir - if it gets too low air will go in to the system; the old fluid will go in the container.
- refill the reservoir and repeat until the fluid comes out the right color.
- with the reservoir fluid level bellow the return port re-attach the return hose.
- Fill the reservoir to the desired level.
- Re-check the level after a drive.
Last time I did this I barely spilled a drop of PSF. I used the Walmart Dexron III by the way.

Last edited:
I'd recommend doing say another reservoir exchange and then a full exchange.

You'll find that with a reservoir exchange the new fluid will get dirty quite quickly as it a) mixes with the old fluid and b) cleans other dirt in the system. Use something cheaper than Mobil 1 for the reservoir exchange. But the good thing is that you are cleaning the system completely.

Once the first 1 or 2 or 3 reservoir exchanges have done their cleaning, doing a complete exchange with your premium Mobil 1 synthetic will keep you in good shape for a long time.

If you only do reservoir exchanges, you spend a lot of money as you keep on taking out new fluid each time. Especially expensive if it's Mobil 1. Here is what happens when the reservoir holds 300ml and the system hold 1130ml:

Change 1: 27% new
Change 2: 46% new
Change 3: 60% new
Change 4: 71% new
Change 5: 79% new
Change 6: 84% new

You did what was right.

Toyota often puts in a PS fluid that has no red dye in it, but says it is ATF. That is why it can turn that shade of brown when dirty. I also suspect that OE fluid is very cheaply made.

M1 ATF worked well in every Toyota power steering system I used it in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back