Few questions on my car...2012 Hyundai Veloster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zac

I love this forum btw. If I ask most people they tell me go with Royal Purple or something. If I ask people here they talk about UOAs and specifics which I love. Thank you everyone for your replies
smile.gif

I have a 2012 Hyundai Veloster. I just got it 3 weeks ago and already have 3k miles on it. I am doing an oil change with either Penzoil Platinum or (most likely) Ultra. I drive a lot. I drive hard. And I am in stop and go a lot. The car has a unique double clutch transmission not used in a Hyundai vehicle before. Subsequently, little information exists and even the dealers seem to say mixed things. Sooner or later I will want to put in the best possible transmission fluid as this car gets shifted as much as I press my 'shift' key on my computer! The specs are as follows:

-"HA SYN MTF(SK), HD SYN MTF(H.K.SHELL), GS PAO MTF(GS CALTEX), Hyundai Genuine transaxle fluid(API GL-4, SAE 75W/85), Use the Double clutch transmission fluid approved by Hyundai motor company."

-Capacity is about 2 quarts

I know nothing about this type of fluid. Does the 'SYN' designation mean a synthetic is already being used? Hyundai uses Quaker State products exclusively to my understanding.

Any help is appreciated

Nice car,
Be careful use what they say to use which i believe is quaker state 5w20 to make sure there is not any warrantee issues.. My neighbor has one and it is a really nice quality car.

Wife and I own/have owned 5 Hyundai/KIA vehicles.

Have had good luck in having service done with the dealer for most stuff. In our vehicles the wife and I use Penzoil Platinum/Ultra 5W20 along with OEM Filters.

I am no expert but would stick with the OEM Fluid for the Transmission.

I'm a firm believer in OEM transmission fluid. I've had bad luck trying Royal Purple and Amsoil in one of my transmissions.

I would guess the OE Hyundai fluid for your transmission is synthetic. I recently bought Hyundai fluid for my 2007 Sonata and it said on the bottle it was synthetic. It was made for Hyundai in Korea by SK Lubricants. My fluid was $15/quart and it took 2 quarts.

For such specific transmission I would definitely stay with OEM fluid. What is the recommended interval for the ATF change on this car?

#k miles and you are already worried about the tranny? Slowwww down and wait at least 20k and stick with the OEM fluid. Any fluid made by SK Lubricants is top notch so I highly advise you (especially for warranty purposes) to stay away from the RP etc. for this car. Shift away and you will be fine for quite a while, then you can worry about fluids. A lot of these "super great" fluids are marketing hype, so be very careful and don't jump the gun. There will be an approved fluid for your app readily available soon. OEM is good (especially for Hyundai's warranty).

I'd like to hear your impressions of the Veloster so far. Is the view to the rear as bad as they say? How's the power? Seat comfort? Sound system? All-day comfort?

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
#k miles and you are already worried about the tranny? Slowwww down and wait at least 20k and stick with the OEM fluid. Any fluid made by SK Lubricants is top notch so I highly advise you (especially for warranty purposes) to stay away from the RP etc. for this car. Shift away and you will be fine for quite a while, then you can worry about fluids. A lot of these "super great" fluids are marketing hype, so be very careful and don't jump the gun. There will be an approved fluid for your app readily available soon. OEM is good (especially for Hyundai's warranty).

I will have 20k miles in about 4-5 months...

Originally Posted By: Maximus1966
I'd like to hear your impressions of the Veloster so far. Is the view to the rear as bad as they say? How's the power? Seat comfort? Sound system? All-day comfort?

It's a pretty kick [censored] car. I am getting 45 MPG on the highway. The rear view is indeed its weakest point. Side view isn't an issue as I always use blind spot mirrors. Power wise it is a rather slow car although with the dual clutch tranny you can stay in the power band and move decent for a 1.6. The seats are great in the front and good in the back. Lumbar support is excellent and the bucket really hugs you. They are as good as any car I have ever been in under $75,000. They are also a combo of cloth and leather and they did it really nicely. The LG touchscreen is the best I have ever used as its active retina display is as sharp as an iPhone. Mine has a built in subwoofer for a little more bass and the OEM stereo is among the best I have had (for an OEM of course). The Bluetooth works so well you cannot tell you are talking to a Bluetooth on the other line. The overall interior is excellent and the display is done in a classy but down-to-business manner. The car really shines with a combo of the transmission and handling. For their first dual clutch, they did a helluva job and it will hold steady from naught to redline. The car handles really well on its 18s, and its factory tyres are only a 215 series. The wheel well and wheel can take up to a 245 although I would not go that large without tinkering with the brakes. The factory tyres suck in rain and snow, but virtually all stock tyres are poor. With that said ,in dry, even with the factory tyres, you can push it hard. I just ordered a pair of Continental Extreme Contact DWS in a 225 series for it, which is a UHP all season that you can push REALLY hard on. I was going to update the brakes but they use a pretty decent ceramic compound out of the box that has decent fade resistance...it was good enough that I decided against getting a set of Hawks or Carbotechs. And of course the look of it is pretty neat. MANY people say stuff to me about it and even non-car people notice it. Thus far, I love it. I've put 3k miles on it in 3 weeks and thus far it has performed flawlessly. Thats all I can think of now as I am about to go to bed. I'll post a few pics if yall would like. Thanks everybody!
smile.gif

I have a hyundai 5-spd accent that calls for 2.0 quarts for 75w85. I did some searching for a synthetic and went with redline mt-85 it its synthetic gl-4 75w85. I have about 50 miles on it seems to shift better than the factory stuff.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ross
I have a hyundai 5-spd accent that calls for 2.0 quarts for 75w85. I did some searching for a synthetic and went with redline mt-85 it its synthetic gl-4 75w85. I have about 50 miles on it seems to shift better than the factory stuff.

The dual clutch is a totally different transmission. Redline doesn't recommend any of their transmission fluids for DC transmissions.

Stick with the OEM fluid. Shell HK is a premium lube manufacturer, and it looks like it's a PAO-based synthetic--and it's designed for the transmission. I seriously doubt you'll find anything better for it at this point.

I have never seen a DCT fluid that was totally proven to work well in a stock DCT transmission.

I would only use OE fluid at this time.

Since it is using a gear lube I am guessing that is a dry clutch style DCT. So, the fluid would only be lubing the synchros, right?

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Since it is using a gear lube I am guessing that is a dry clutch style DCT. So, the fluid would only be lubing the synchros, right?

And Gears and Bearings!

It's not used as a hydraulic fluid like in a torque converter style auto. It's just two automated manuals connected together. I'd be more concerned about the electronics or clutches wearing out

Sounds good. I think I'll stay with what is in it given it sounds like that is the best way to go! thanks everyone!

From what I have read on here, it seems that adding Water Wetter would really do all of nothing given the car uses modern standard coolant for its aluminum radiator...is that correct?

Adding water wetter won't do anything but a couple degrees for the worse or better, the only time it is worth using that is with all distilled water in the radiator, which would void your warranty, you will never need that product unless you get a track car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back