Corolla 2007 and oil requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi I am new to these forms, spent quite some time just looking around, checking out used oil analysis' and just seeing what the site has to offer. I have been trying to come to a conclusion about the type of oil to use in my 2007 Corolla with the 1ZZFE engine. Til now, I have just been getting my oil changed at the dealer with conventional 5W30 oil, and OEM oil filter. No issues with my Corolla at all, no consumption etc. I have been planning to switch over to a 0W30 M1 oil for during winter here in Montreal. I have also been doing research about other options, such as 0W20. I contacted Toyota Canada twice about this, and thought I would share their responses with you. Here is my question and responses to them from Toyota Canada.

MY EMAIL TO TOYOTA CANADA: Hi, I have a Toyota Corolla 2007 with 115,000kms. Winter is coming up andwould like to use a 0w30 Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy oil, I realize I amout of warranty but want to know what oils should be fine to use. oil capsays 5w30, would 0w20 or 0w30 void warranty?

RESPONSE FROM TOYOTA CANADA: Thank you for your recent correspondence. Please be advised there are many oil additives on the market and each has its own unique characteristics. Toyota sees no detriment in the use of oil that meets API standards provided you follow the recommended Toyota maintenance schedule. Even though it's more expensive, synthetic oil has a number of advantages over conventional motor oil. Synthetic oil performs and protects your engine better in both hot and cold temperatures. It reduces friction, thus increasing horsepower and decreasing fuel consumption. Synthetic oil minimizes on-going wear and deterioration in your engine which can result in longer engine life. Any damage caused by the use of motor oils that do not meet minimum API standards or oil additives not recommended in the owner's manual are not covered under the manufacturer's warranty. It is not recommended that customers switch back & forth from synthetic oil to conventional oil. It is at your discretion to decide if you want synthetic or conventional oil & stick with that type. We hope this information is helpful and thank you again for writing.

I felt that his response did not answer the question, so I responded with:
Hi, thank you for your response. My concern is that, is it okay to usea 0W20 as opposed to the 5W30 indicated on the oil fill cap? I realize the20 weight oil is thinner once at operating temperature, but if my vehiclewere to be under warranty, would using a 20 weight oil, instead of 30weight provide less engine protection, or decrease the life of the engine(void the warranty) ? In this light i wonder if 0W20 or 0W30 would be the best recommendation. Myconcern is not only gas mileage, but engine protection. So would a 0W30 bethe best option or would a 0W20 have no negative impact on the engineperformance and protection? Can you also explain the concern with switching back and forth betweenconventional and synthetic oils? What is the concern regarding this?

And their response: Thank you for your recent email. Please be advised that it is recommended to use Toyota approved Toyota Genuine Motor Oil or equivalent to satisfy the grade and viscosity as recommended in your Owner's Manual. Should you require further information in this regard, we kindly suggest discussing the matter with the Service Manager at the dealership as they are in the best position to assist you. Thank you for taking the time to write.

I apologize for all 5 posts but for some reason it wont let me see what I type after so much typing. Just find it frustrating that Toyota refuses to provide a straight answer. Im going to stick with the 0W30 M1, but hate how Toyota refuses to provide a concrete answer, and rather let the dealer make a recommendation and if any issues arise Toyota Canada will just say, that the dealers opinion doesnt reflect that of Toyota Canada... just thought I would share this information with everyone. Thanks!

Welcome to BITOG!

Don't worry about the separate posts, you should be able to scroll down and put it all into one but every blue moon there are glitches.

I honestly think you could use either the 0w20 or 0w30 in that engine with no problems whatsoever. The M1 0w30 is a great oil and I highly recommend it; it would be my personal choice. I would also recommend using a higher quality aftermarket filter, if you can spring the extra change for the M1 EP oil filter that would give you the option of extending your OCI in the future. Right now there MAY be some cleaning being done in your engine so I would just do a couple of shorter runs 4k or so and see how the oil looks when you drain it (cut open the filter to inspect if you can). I am sure you will benefit from switching over to high quality lube.

Chubbs

It's a corolla.. you can use anything
wink.gif

If you want a good cold pumping oil like M1 AFE, you'll need to drive across the border to get it. I picked it up at WM for $24.67 in 5 quart jug.

Otherwise, continue doing exactly what you've been doing and the engine will outlast the car.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
RESPONSE FROM TOYOTA CANADA: Thank you for your recent correspondence. Please be advised there are many oil additives on the market and each has its own unique characteristics. Toyota sees no detriment in the use of oil that meets API standards provided you follow the recommended Toyota maintenance schedule. Even though it's more expensive, synthetic oil has a number of advantages over conventional motor oil. Synthetic oil performs and protects your engine better in both hot and cold temperatures. It reduces friction, thus increasing horsepower and decreasing fuel consumption. Synthetic oil minimizes on-going wear and deterioration in your engine which can result in longer engine life. Any damage caused by the use of motor oils that do not meet minimum API standards or oil additives not recommended in the owner's manual are not covered under the manufacturer's warranty. It is not recommended that customers switch back & forth from synthetic oil to conventional oil. It is at your discretion to decide if you want synthetic or conventional oil & stick with that type. We hope this information is helpful and thank you again for writing.

Well if this is true....Im in trouble.....
45.gif

I apologize for all 5 posts but for some reason it wont let me see what I type after so much typing.

Just hit the "Switch to Full Reply" button and use the black arrows at the top right of the screen to enlarge the text/typing area
thumbsup2.gif

I apologize for all 5 posts but for some reason it wont let me see what I type after so much typing. Just find it frustrating that Toyota refuses to provide a straight answer.

I kind of liked the five post thing. They started out seeming reasonable, and then started to get off the tracks towards the end. It just built suspense.
wink.gif

I'd see no problems with M1 0w-30 or Petro-Canada 0w-30. There's no problem with switching back and forth between conventional and synthetic, either.

Originally Posted By: lexus114

Well if this is true....Im in trouble.....
45.gif

My 270+k miles LS400 engine should explode long time ago for switching back & forth from synthetic to conventional to synthetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back