Cut apart two PureOnes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Inspected the media in filters off my 2000 Concorde 2.7, and my wife's 2001 Accord 4 cyl.

The Concorde filter had some carbon powder, but less than the last change. Since it is a sludger motor it gets 5K synth changes. On this regimen, I don't think it is making more carbon, but cleaning out residue from past dino runs. It has 80K, and had dino for 60K

The Accord filter was used for two runs of about 6K, last run 5W30 Synpower. The engine has 220K and appears to produce very little filter debris.

I soaked a strip of media from each filter in gasoline without agitation to remove oil to see if I could see wear materials trapped in the media. I held each strip toward the sun to try to gage the opacity. The media from a short run in the Concorde allowed some light through, the media from a 12K run in the Honda passed no light. If the media was the same from both filters, I conclude the Honda filter had more microscopic particles trapped, making it opaque.

They were different PureOnes, the Concorde being newer yellow, the Honda an older blue, and since they are different numbers could have different media anyway.

Evidence of carbon powder on the Concorde filter substantiates the need for a filter change every oil change. The opacity of the Honda filter media doesn't verify ability to run the filter two changes, but the absence of wear materials gives me confidence it continues to flow at the end of two runs.

Originally Posted By: ledslinger
The opacity of the Honda filter media doesn't verify ability to run the filter two changes, but the absence of wear materials gives me confidence it continues to flow at the end of two runs.

that's what i am interested to find out- if the pureone is going into bypass mode over the course of a 12k mile interval. i know that oil filters are most efficient right before they clog up so it is beneficial to run them as long as possible. the downside to that, however, is there's no way of knowing for sure when that is exactly

jmsjags-Even though Honda advises running a filter for two changes, there are compelling arguments to change the filter with every oil change. A goal of my filter dissection is to look for any reasons that I shouldn't do two runs on a filter.

After this filter inspect I have more knowledge about what is going on, but no change in confidence than I had. I still think the filter can handle two runs, just like before.

I'd love to figure out a way to put a small switch on the bypass valve wired to an indicator light. Cut a hole in the bottom of the filter, rig the switch, patch with a plate and J-B weld. It would be interesting to see if you could force a filter into bypass with higher viscosity oil, or revving on start on a cold day.

Originally Posted By: ledslinger
I'd love to figure out a way to put a small switch on the bypass valve wired to an indicator light. Cut a hole in the bottom of the filter, rig the switch, patch with a plate and J-B weld. It would be interesting to see if you could force a filter into bypass with higher viscosity oil, or revving on start on a cold day.

You just need a delta P measurement across the filter, which is easier to do than the way you're contemplating. If the delta P gets to the opening pressure of the bypass valve, then it would start to open. River-rat did the delta P test once.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back