Hub centric vs lug centric rims?

Status
Not open for further replies.
my snow tires came on lug centric rims..
apparently all the unique brand ones at DTD are lug centric and DO NOT work with centering rings...

they did not tell me this when I ordered. How much should I care?

I've noticed a minor vibration but I've only driven about 20miles since mounting them. Also the roads here are really poor so its hard to tell.

How much you care depends on how sensitive you are to minor vibration. It would bother the [censored] out of me, so much so that I would get different wheels. I've always spent a few dollars more for hub-centric OEM wheels be they steel or aluminum for my winter tires.

Jack each corner up and retorque, carefully, in the star pattern. If DTD just gunned them on it would increase their odds of being messed up.

The 2 sets of alloy wheels I've ordered from DTD have both come with hub-centric rings. One was Momo, the other DTD's Rage brand. The Momos on the Fit last winter were perfect. No vibrations, no nothing. I'll find out in a week or so about the DTD house brand alloys.

IIRC aren't your snows on steelies?

Hub centric vs lug centric depends on the car, not the wheels. If your car requires hub centric wheels and you are using lug centric then you are going to have problems.

The centerbore in many aftermarket wheels can be adapted with a spacer. You can get these from the tire shop or from ebay. If the spacer is thin, like for many BMW fitments, you want the metal spacer and not the plastic one!

DTD is discount tire direct.. I mounted them on the car in the air in a star pattern.

I wanted hub centric I didnt even know they made these rims anymore...

Im about to go drive 100miles(for work) so I guess I can see how much it bothers me.

I would have definitely paid more 20$ or whatever for hub centric rims.. little bit irritated at DTD right now.

They had a sale on alloys would have been 86$ more. /sigh

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
Just an FYI,

Pretty much every vehicle for the last 20 years came with hub centric wheels - for good reason - better centering.

Is this true, even for trucks?

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
The vibration is likely from the snow tires.
I think they are poor to horrid in non snow conditions.

they are michelin xice xi2's not cooper wintermaster+ etc.

They're tapered seat lug nuts correct?

I really don't see an issue.

Just about every custom wheel out there comes as lug centric. I've used many wheels that were lug centric, and never noticed a problem.

What do you think is moving to cause a "vibration?"

Originally Posted By: Rand
they are michelin xice xi2's not cooper wintermaster+ etc.

Even if they were, I still wouldn't expect any vibrations. I've driven on many winter tires - mostly of the old-fashioned studded variety - and they've all been plenty smooth.

Try moving the tires around. Maybe one is defective or out of balance, or maybe there's a problem with one of the wheels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back