Better than Motul 300V 5W30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motul is a premium oil. Another premium oil choice would be Red Line. If you did a UOA on both you would know which is better. Personally I would choose Red Line... but don't take my word compare the two.

For what application? 300V is pretty good but there's some very specialized stuff out there like the straight-60 and such.

Why does Motul 300V 5W30 cost $50 per 2 liters? That means 6 liters would be $150.

Redline 5W30 only costs $50 per gallon.

Are you sure Redline is better? Or am I deluded to think price equals quality?

Originally Posted By: jupiterdagger
Why does Motul 300V 5W30 cost $50 per 2 liters? That means 6 liters would be $150.

Redline 5W30 only costs $50 per gallon.

Are you sure Redline is better? Or am I deluded to think price equals quality?

Wow, they must overcharge for it up there!!

I've seen it for at most, $40.00/2 liter can down here south of the border, usually more like $28.00-$32.00/2 liter can!

It generally costs more than RL due to it being imported from France, and that it might have more group 5 (and possibly more costly) base stocks than Red Line (their soluble moly content, as well as other friction reducing/modifying additives are very close).
NOBODY knows for sure, and neither company is saying, claiming 'proprietary secrets' and such.
mad.gif

yes, motul(300v and 300v core) is all esters says joey at motul and redline is mostly esters with about 5% pao according to dave at red line..both a grp 5 oil and i use both is all my rides

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jupiterdagger
I didn't want to start another thread, but do I have to use 5w30 oil in my Cadillac CTS-V? Can I use Redline 20WT Race Oil(5w20) instead?

I would stick with Red Line's street oils, as their racing stuff has little to no detergent elements in it's additive pack. The 0W-30 RL has your car/engine/location 'written all over it'.
wink.gif

The 300V, on the other hand, does have detergents, and their 5W-30 IS slightly thinner than the RL 5W-30, with about the same VI (but BOTH are lower VIs than the RL 0W-30).

I agree Motul 300V is too expensive sourced in Canada but not so bad in the States at $30/2L can.
RL 5W-30 (HTHSV 3.8cP)is too heavy for your Mustang.
Correct me if I'm wrong put isn't a 2.6cP HTHSV 5W-20 the spec' oil for your car? That being the case them even RL 0W-20 (HTHSV 3.0cP) is too heavy unless a 5W-30 is spec'd then it's suitable.

300V can be had for under $30/2L in the US.

Anyways, I think 300V is probably a bit much for a car that isn't raced. I'd go for the Redline which is more readily available and cheaper.

Seems like RL 0W30 is a better choice than the 5W30 for something that specs a xW30? Am I confused? Much higher VI, for example.

robert

Yes RL 0W-30 is a better choice than RL 5W-30 for a 5W-30 application due to it's more appropriate HTHSV of 3.2cP. A typical 5W-30 has a HTHSV in the 3.0-3.1cP range but due to RL 0W-30's higher 183 VI will have a similar viscosity at normal operating temperature.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
I'd suggest Motul 300V 0W-20.

^^This has a fairly low VI, just like the RL 0W-20, correct? (I know it has a slightly lower HTHS than the RL though.)

The Motul 300V with it's 2.68cP HTHSV and 177 VI is the lightest ester based oil I know of and is a true 20wt oil vs RL 0W-20 with it's 3.0cP HTHSV and lower 166 VI.

But a 50/50 blend of Toyota 0W-20 and RL 0W-20 would give a cost effective, equally shear stable 0W-20 with a similar operational viscosity to Motul due to the blends higher 190 VI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back