2011 mazda cx-7 turbo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: addyguy
I've read here, somewhere, that Mazda allows the use of 40-weight in the turbo engines.

If you want to use Amsoil, either XL 10W-40, or Euro 5W-30 or 5W-40 would be good choices.

im also seeing that 40w seems to be good in these motors..? as a recommendation from am amsoil rep i will probably do the OE series. im sure the euro is very good stuff but [censored] its not cheap. i normally change around 4000-5000 miles. so i really dont need something that can go "20,000" miles before a change. i guess i will stick with oem filters. they are cheap.

Do a search for CX-7 timng chain failures and you will find several stories on forums where they had their timing chain break, did not do oil changes at dealerships and could not produce receipts where Mazda denied the warranty repair.

I am not sure why they would be false, but it taught me to keep all of my receipts and log it just in case. I keep a small notepad in the glovebox where I log my maintenance and have an envelope with the receipts. I write on the receipt the date I use the item to match the log.

I have had no need for any warranty work from Mazda so I can not personally speak as to how they do things. I just don't want to be another bad ending so I am keeping myself covered without having a dealship do the work.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BobThe
Do a search for CX-7 timng chain failures and you will find several stories on forums where they had their timing chain break, did not do oil changes at dealerships and could not produce receipts where Mazda denied the warranty repair.

I am not sure why they would be false, but it taught me to keep all of my receipts and log it just in case. I keep a small notepad in the glovebox where I log my maintenance and have an envelope with the receipts. I write on the receipt the date I use the item to match the log.

I have had no need for any warranty work from Mazda so I can not personally speak as to how they do things. I just don't want to be another bad ending so I am keeping myself covered without having a dealship do the work.

timing chains break??? [censored]?? im really hoping this is an isolated problem. but for that matter i dont think "oil" would be the problem..?
maybe someone can chime in here that knows more than i do but by law you dont have to get your oil changed at the dealer to have warranty. i know ive read some where the different laws that protect the dealer/brand and the customer but i dont know where i could find that.

I can't recall hearing any timing chain problems from the 'Speed6-ers.

It's smoking turbo, anhialated rear diff mount, and overagressive knock sensor that pulls out all the boost and puts you in limp mode. That's the 3 biggest complaints about the 'Speed6 I can think of.

I can't recall any Mazda MZR/Ford Duratec23-25 timing chain problems

All I can say is google CX-7 timing chain and you will find the stories. It seems to be the first couple years, but nothing after that. Weak chain for the first couple years I guess. I was surprised to find that after I bought my 2010 in May this year to see all of the posts. I asked one of the service guys about it while I was at parts getting filters and he said that Mazda corrected it.

From these posts, it seems that Mazda was using the oil change records to get out of paying for the repair. They were also sending the oil out for testing to make sure it was 5w-30.

I also read that Mazda sent out a TSB saying that their answer to the seal on the turbo leaking was allowing the use of 40wt.

I first learned of the failres from the forums on MCX7.com. The guys over there were surprised to see that the CX-7 in the first couple years was having the problem, but the MS3 and MS6 folks were not. They were trying to track the failures as well. Nothing like buying a new car and *THEN* finding out about the issue(s) it might have. (Like transmissions on Honda Odyssey's)

Use the recommended 5w30 oil. The 40 wt oil is only used IF you have turbo seal issues and the dealer uses the heaver oil to confirm that the turbo needs to be replaced. Ed

i did have one master tech tell me that its a must to use 5w30 due to warranty issues. but i still say [censored] to that. now saying that i will use 5w30 but i dont see how they can dictate that. either way i will stay on top of my oil changes with quality stuff.

now going back to the gas in the oil situations. any more info on that? any oils handle that better?
thanks for the info/help guys!

Hard to believe about them testing viscosity because this engine shears most 5w30's to a 20 weight, and I do mean most. Seen some UOA's do it within 1k miles too.

The thing is Mazda likes to deny warranty claims. This doesn't mean you can't make them, just that they like to make it difficult because most people don't realize what they can & can't do. IE: arbitration. Which in fact you are obligated to do 1st before taking them to court. In arbitration (free & local to u) Mazda will then have the burden of proving, beyond a reasonable doubt their case (neglect or whatever they're claiming, & it's not easy). Then the arbitrator will rule. If in your favor they have 30 days max. If not in your favor you can then & only then take them to court.

Btw I'm speaking from personal experience. Yes I won. There's also some other laws about if the car has issues with the same thing 4 times in 10 years you having the ability to get a new car or refunded but it's a bit complicated to get into here. But again Mazda can deny whatever (& they will) but that doesn't mean anyone is screwed. It's kind of like insurance companies. Deny & they know most people won't bother. Or the old telecom "slamming" schemes. Lame but it's what they do. They know in the overall picture they save money.

Originally Posted By: shpankey
Hard to believe about them testing viscosity because this engine shears most 5w30's to a 20 weight, and I do mean most. Seen some UOA's do it within 1k miles too.

The thing is Mazda likes to deny warranty claims. This doesn't mean you can't make them, just that they like to make it difficult because most people don't realize what they can & can't do. IE: arbitration. Which in fact you are obligated to do 1st before taking them to court. In arbitration (free & local to u) Mazda will then have the burden of proving, beyond a reasonable doubt their case (neglect or whatever they're claiming, & it's not easy). Then the arbitrator will rule. If in your favor they have 30 days max. If not in your favor you can then & only then take them to court.

Btw I'm speaking from personal experience. Yes I won. There's also some other laws about if the car has issues with the same thing 4 times in 10 years you having the ability to get a new car or refunded but it's a bit complicated to get into here. But again Mazda can deny whatever (& they will) but that doesn't mean anyone is screwed. It's kind of like insurance companies. Deny & they know most people won't bother. Or the old telecom "slamming" schemes. Lame but it's what they do. They know in the overall picture they save money.

good info here.
conserning the oil weight, would it be a good idea to go 5w40?

The OEM recommended oil is 0w-20. I am puzzled why everybody is giving such bad advice tonight.

The CX7 only run hight AF ratios when under heavy boast. Most light to medium power usage are run at a Stoichiometric ratio. My CX7 will have ~ 0.5-0.7 fuel in the oil when it is changed at 6,000 miles. The wear numbers are quite good irrespective of the fuel in the oil. Look at wear numbers first and not the fuel %. I would NOT go against the factory 5w30 recommendation "Just Because" someone thinks it is a good idea. UOAs demonstrate that 5w30 are doing a fine job in this engine. Too many self appointed experts giving their opinion as fact without any data or having a clue in reality. JM observation. Ed

If you own a CX-7 turbo then I'd make sure you stick to what the manufacture recommends, better yet get it serviced at the dealership while it's in warranty to avoid any issues. These engines (in the CX7) are renowned for prematurely expiring. There's lots of TSB out on the timing gear, VVT & Turbo. I used to work for a Mazda dealership here in NZ & they've recently stopped importing the CX7 & replaced it with the CX9. They get similar MPG & the 3.7L V6 engine is a whole lot less stressed moving around all that weight. You should have brought one of them instead.

As for oil, we used JDM Mazda 5w30 SM in them over here.

All of that makes me all sorts of nervous. I like the car, I like the power and I like the AWD. I wanted a RWD V-8 (Charger, Mustang or Challenger) or an AWD turbo 4 SUV (Acura RDX or the CX-7). Chrysler has had a...tarnished past as far as reliability and warranty coverage. Honda has had a reputation for A/T problems with anything with power, so I bought the CX-7.

Man o man, I don't mind saying that I will be keeping every receipt for an Oil Change. I am also using PU and registered it with them and upload every receipt and log each change with them hoping their warranty covers it when it explodes. They say it will, but I don't think I can actually trust it.

Either way, I think it will be going away before I hit the 5 year 60k powertrain warranty. I should have bought a Chrysler.

Don't get me wrong the CX7 is a nice vehicle. As long as you dot your i's & cross you t's with the servicing like any BITOG member would then you should be fine.
Do you ever get it serviced at a Mazda dealership? Maybe you should, even if it every 2nd or 3rd. There's all sorts of champaigns, pcm updates etc that you are potentially miss out on. Sure it's a bit cheaper to get joe blogs garage to change the oil but there so much more than that to servicing a modern vehicle these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back