OIL and OCI recommendations for 91 Nissan Pickup

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 91 Nissan Pickup. It has around 130k miles on it and has previously used whatever dino oil was around, various weights and at various intervals with cheap filters. It seems to be in great shape still, doesn't leak or burn much oil.

91 Nissan Pickup
D21, 4 Cylinder, 2WD
130K miles
Washington State (mild temperature)
Driven once a week to work (100 miles total) and for random tasks, yard waste, going to the dump ect. It is not a daily driver.

I'm running Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 in my other vehicle, and had a few jugs in the garage so the last oil change was done with PP 5w30. Was that a bad idea?? I don't mind using more expensive oil in it like PP if it means i don't need to purchase two different brands. I plan on using a shorter 4k interval for the first two oil changes then maybe go up to 7k or once a year depending on how many miles i put on it. Does that sound reasonable? Should i stop using the synthetic in an older/higher milage vehicle???

Any info would be great!

I have used Full Synthetic 5w-30 Mobil 1 and Synthetic Blends like Castrol GTX Syn Blnd 5w-30, Motorcraft Syn Blnd 5w-20, and regular dino oil like Pennzoil, Quaker State, Citgo, and Valvoline in my 2000 Frontier. Every oil, except Mobil 1, in my opinion made the motor run very smoothly and quietly. The motor made lots of noises while Mobil 1 was being used in the motor. I have 50/50 of stop/go and highway driving for 20-25 miles one-way; 40-50 miles to/from work each day. Changed the oil at 3k miles, 3750 miles, 6k miles, and 10k miles without any problems which is sometimes longer than the manufacturer recommends. My Nissan was assembled in Smyrna, Tennessee, by Americans and they did a good job, in my opinion. It only has over 124,600 miles, but keeps on running with just regular maintenance.

If it doesn't leak now, I'd have no problems switching to synthetic.

Out of curiosity, does this vehicle have an auto or manual trans? What oil filters do you use?

Originally Posted By: Mustang2008Z
Every oil, except Mobil 1, in my opinion made the motor run very smoothly and quietly. The motor made lots of noises while Mobil 1 was being used in the motor.

You might be able to use it on some door hinges around the house, but I'm not sure if it'll even work for that.
grin2.gif

Its a manual transmission. I've been replacing the rear diff with whatevers cheapest every 20-30k.

I guess i'll keep it on Pennzoil Platinum, do maybe two short OCI to flush out any build up then start with the 7-8k or yearly intervals, whatever comes first, most likely yearly since it won't get much use.

Oh- i previously used cheap fram, or whatever the discount lube places put on. I usually would wait for a $15 oil change coupon at a local shop to have it changed. Recently I've been using OEM filters based on suggestions on some nissan forums, and will continue to do so with the Pennzoil Platinum.

BIL has a 1985 Nissan P/U with the 2.4 I-4. It starts and runs really, really well on PP 5W-30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back