Oil for '07 MB S550

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have purchased a few cases of Scheaffer's 9000 5W-40 and was wondering if I can use it in my S550. Has anyone else used it in a European car? It does say for Gas & Diesel Engines but not sure if it meets the MB specs.

Thanks!

It is recommended by Shaeffer for all sorts of MB specs (both gasoline and diesel), but it is not officially on an approved MB oil list. However, you're probably not under warranty anymore, so it shouldn't matter. From what I remember, it's a good oil.

IIRC, one BITOGer used this oil in his MB engine with pretty good results, but I forget his name...

M1 0W-40, if not M1 15W-50. If you have an oil pressure gauge, see how a 0W-30 of a different brand, or M1 vanilla 5W-30 OR M1 EP 5W-30 acts.

Nice car!

More than likely, M1 0W-40 is your oil.

Unless you do what HTSS_RR did in your big-lunged 5.5L V8..

As to your question if you can use the oil you mentioned, since you have some cases of it? .. i dont see an issue there. Use it up, THEN use the M1 recommendations, IMHO.

Nice car "Balla!" Ball out!
25.gif

Well if the car is under warranty I would tell you to use an MB-approved oil like M1 0w40 or whatever. Otherwise, you can safely use the Schaeffers.

Nice Car. Okay so for what it's worth, here is my opinion.
Your 2007 S-Class (221) calls for an oil and filter change (Service 3) every 13,000 miles OR 1 year. Well, I personally, would go for the 6,500 miles or 1 year. (Actually I change oil and filter every 5,000 miles on all cars religiously). That's up to you.
As for the oil. In the Mercedes Benz "Service Products" pamphlet, for your 2007 S-Class there is NO gray area. Mercedes clearly specifies and recommends you use oil that meets their 229.5 spec. This is what they list:

Mobil 1 European Car Formula 0W40
Castrol Syntec European Formula 0W30 (German Castrol)
Penzoil European Formula Ultra 5W30
Quaker State European Formula Ultra 5W30
ELF (Total Quartz Energy) Excellium 5W30

and that's it.

Basically, the most important thing to remember, is that Mercedes and BMW both require HIGH VISCOSITY, HIGH TEMP, HIGH SHEAR Oils. Thus the 229.5 and BMW LL-01 Specs.

I am sure there are many qualified individuals who can quote you all the minimums and maximums that make an oil meet that spec. (229.5)

I looked up the Shaeffer Oil 5W40 Supreme 9000 Data Sheet, and they do say that it meets MB 229.5 Specs and a myriad of others. According to what they claim, I would definately say it is a HIGH Temp HIGH Sheer HIGH Viscosity Oil. For all climate Mercedes recommends the following grades 0W30, 5W30, 0W40, 5W40, & 5W50. So your Schaeffer Oil falls in that recommendation. From what I see, the oil you have is primarilly for Diesel Engine use. (Hope I dont start a war in this thread with that statement)

I personally use the Mobil 1 0W40 in both the Mercedes and the German Castrol 0W30 in the BMW. All UOA's look great.

If I were to keep it simple, I would recommend Mobil 1 0W40 and definately the "Fleece" OE (Mercedes Benz) filter and you are good to go.

Hope this helped.

FYI....

Mobil 1 0W-40 meets or exceeds the requirements of:

API SN/SM/SL/SJ
ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4
Nissan GT-R

Mobil 1 0W-40 has the following builder approvals:

MB-Approval 229.3
MB-Approval 229.5
BMW LONGLIFE OIL 01
VW 502 00/505 00
PORSCHE A40

According to ExxonMobil, Mobil 1 0W40 is of the following quality:

API CF
SAAB
OPEL Long Life Service Fill GM-LL-A-025
OPEL Diesel Service Fill GM-LL-B-025
FIAT FIAT 9.55535 - M2
FIAT FIAT 9.55535 - N2
FIAT FIAT 9.55535 - Z2

Good Stuff indeed!

Originally Posted By: Balla
I have been running M1 0W-40 since new. Just thought I'd ask.

Thanks~

Keep doing that.

Nice car!

Mercedes Benz has a "Approved Product" manual for their cars that list the approved fluids, greases etc... well, that were approved BY Mercedes Benz for use in their cars. Using a product that is not on their list might "cause engine damage and void the warranty". Okay... Right.
I would still stick to their approved list. Good stuff...

Originally Posted By: BritGerCarLuvr
Mercedes clearly specifies and recommends you use oil that meets their 229.5 spec. This is what they list:

and that's it.

The list of 229.5 oils is actually quite a bit longer:

http://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten/229.5_en.html

Not all of them may be available in the US though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back