Avid bb7 brake upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a redline d440, rigid 29er. It has tektro brakes and I think I'm going to purchase Avid bb7 brakes & levers.

Anyone have any experience with them? 160mm on the front and rear.

The BB7 is very easy to adjust with the dial. No special tools or whatever. Make sure you pair it with good levers. Some say the cables matter, though I've never noticed a difference.

I had Avid elixir CR top of the line brakes, 2010 model, IIRC.

I like my low-end shimano hub centric setup better for no drag and smooth operation. The avid was more tunable, but Ill bet the shimano XT type stuff will also have that kind of capability.

Have a good look at the SLX and XT lines of hydraulic discs before settling on anything else.

Originally Posted By: dja4260
I have a redline d440, rigid 29er. It has tektro brakes and I think I'm going to purchase Avid bb7 brakes & levers.

Anyone have any experience with them? 160mm on the front and rear.

I have BB7's and they have been very good for the last 3 or so years that I've owned them.

I've been running BB7s with SD7 levers for about 3 years as well. Definitely the best of the mechanical discs, and about as good as most mid-range hydros.

I've owned my BB7's for 10 years now. Fairly sure mine are the first generation. They've been completely bulletproof. They do like a good set of cables/housing. Other than that, easier to set up and use than hydraulic units.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back