Grand Caravan shifting/rpms?

Status
Not open for further replies.
At approximately what rpm's should my 2005 Grand Caravan (3.8) be shifting? The vehicle has always been well maintained and I use a tranny cooler. Currently, it seems to be shifting at 2500-3000 rpm's which is a little longer shift than I remember it having. I also added Lubegard to the transmission in case there may be a sticky valve. Are there adjustments that can be done to the tranny? Vehicle has 138k miles.

change the atf and only use atf-4 make sure you get all the old stuff out... Most of the time reprogramming the tcm fixes the shifting problems.. If problem comes back there may be a problem with the tcm or in some cases such as my sisters (the clockspring) i know it maes almost no sense but it was her clockspring this was a problem for over a year and when i was forced to replace the clockspring the problem never came back..

NO adjustments.You have the 41TE transmission.Totally electronic.The TCM tells the solenoid pack when to apply fluid pressure to what gear position,and based on input/output trans sensors,and throttle position,shifts are made.Now,this transmission was the worlds first fully electronic,and adaptable transmission (it came out way back in 1989).What that means,is,its "smart".It learns how the driver acts,wether he's a slowpoke,or a speed demon,and adjusts shifts accordingly.Seemingly you have demonstrated that you prefer fast acceleration,and normally travel highway/interstate speeds.
Now,saying all that,I find that these transmissions arent all that "smart".You could only once in a while demand rapid acceleration,and it will think thats how you drive all the time.Hence the dragged out upshifts.If the RPMs seem to be a bit high,lift your foot a bit off the throttle and it will upshift sooner.Also,check your fluid level.

Fluid level is good and bright red. I actually removed about twelve ounces so that I could add the Lubegard. Tranny was flushed at 30k and again around 60k (because I was pulling a tent camper at that time). Use only Mopar ATF +4. Most of my driving is in town (two miles or less), with an occasional hiway trip thrown in.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
NO adjustments.You have the 41TE transmission.Totally electronic.The TCM tells the solenoid pack when to apply fluid pressure to what gear position,and based on input/output trans sensors,and throttle position,shifts are made.Now,this transmission was the worlds first fully electronic,and adaptable transmission (it came out way back in 1989).What that means,is,its "smart".It learns how the driver acts,wether he's a slowpoke,or a speed demon,and adjusts shifts accordingly.Seemingly you have demonstrated that you prefer fast acceleration,and normally travel highway/interstate speeds.
Now,saying all that,I find that these transmissions arent all that "smart".You could only once in a while demand rapid acceleration,and it will think thats how you drive all the time.Hence the dragged out upshifts.If the RPMs seem to be a bit high,lift your foot a bit off the throttle and it will upshift sooner.Also,check your fluid level.

Concur 100%.

I sometimes use the autostick to upshift to 4th a little early but I find that it "re-learns" pretty quickly and adjusts to throttle inputs just about the same as it's older non-autostick" predecessor did in my 2.5 convertible. It might drag out the upshifts a little after some sprited acceleration but settles back down.

I personally dont add any "extras" to my transmission fluid unless there is a seal leak..after the leak stops i usually change the fluid and all is well if the leak stops..

the shift schedule will change if it thinks it's really hot or really cold. Under normal driving that driveline will shift between 1500 and 2200 rpm (I have an 03). The trans does not have it's own temp sensor (or at least anything more than an overheat sensor) to my knowledge but uses a calculation based on how long it's been running, engine temp, ambient temp, and how aggressive the driving is. Does it go into lockup at cruise? Yes- may think it's too hot (delays shifts when hot and uses lockup). No- it could think it's too cold (delays shifts and doesn't go into lockup).

you won't get much info out of it without having it plugged into a scan tool that can read the trans. I don't think many can.

M

That doesn't seem to extreme. If the engine running well? If it is not it may hold each gear a bit longer if power is down. No CEL right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back