Just installed my first Royal Purple filter!

Status
Not open for further replies.
... on my wife's MKX. I expect a 75hp bump, 1.5 secs off it's 0-60, and the oil to still be clear and honey-colored after 25,000 miles.
grin.gif

But seriously, nice filter. I grabbed a few with the $10 PB coupon.

Im sorry to tell you but to fully unleash the power of that filter, you would need racing stickers, a muffler that is larger than your engine and a airplane wing.

Jokes aside thats a great filter, and the nut on the end comes in handy!
thumbsup2.gif

Seafoam your car, put a more restrictive air intake on it, put some twin turbos and 24" wheels and it will do all of these things
whistle.gif

Hey, I would have taken that $10 deal any day. I think it is one of the best filters on the market.

Last time I used one it actually turned my Civic into an Enzo.

I'd like to buy one and cut it open to compare it to a Bosch Distance Plus and a Fleetguard Stratapore. Unfortunately PepBoys doesn't have one to fit my Cummins/Dodge.

Originally Posted By: musicmanbass
... on my wife's MKX. I expect a 75hp bump, 1.5 secs off it's 0-60, and the oil to still be clear and honey-colored after 25,000 miles.
grin.gif

It is a pretty filter, I have one sitting on top of my tool box, right now I have a Mobil 1 oil filter on my car, next OCI the Royal Purple Oil Filter will leave the top of the Tool Box.

The $10 deal on K & N's that I saw was great. Unfortuately, they (Pep Boys in this case) never have the ones in stock that my vehicles take, so I usually get a Mobil 1 or Wix. Im also starting to use Purolator Gold filters. Im impressed with their cartridge filter I just got for one of my cars; it was made in the US and had a plastic cap on one end that the K & N equivalent doesn't. Nothing out there costs more than the Royal Purples and I bet there is NOTHING inside that makes them better than the K & N or Mobil 1.

Last edited:
That was exactly what I did! M1 off, RP on.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Bayman
Originally Posted By: musicmanbass
grin.gif

It is a pretty filter, I have one sitting on top of my tool box, right now I have a Mobil 1 oil filter on my car, next OCI the Royal Purple Oil Filter will leave the top of the Tool Box.

Originally Posted By: Brent_G
Im sorry to tell you but to fully unleash the power of that filter, you would need racing stickers, a muffler that is larger than your engine and a airplane wing.

Jokes aside thats a great filter, and the nut on the end comes in handy!
thumbsup2.gif

No nut on the end of RP filters. That is a K&N thing.

Great filters aren't they?

You MUST install the sticker, otherwise the filter efficiency is lowered. The sticker actually causes a magnetic field similar to that in Iron Man's fission reactor and the Back to the Future car.

IMO, RPs are better than the K&Ns...aren't the K&Ns semi-synthetic anyhow?

Originally Posted By: qr25de
Great filters aren't they?

You MUST install the sticker, otherwise the filter efficiency is lowered. The sticker actually causes a magnetic field similar to that in Iron Man's fission reactor and the Back to the Future car.

IMO, RPs are better than the K&Ns...aren't the K&Ns semi-synthetic anyhow?

Actually K&N's filter media is a phenollic resin impregnated cellulose. So basically a standard paper media with some fancy glue soaked into it. The Mobil 1 media is the semi synthetic one.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
I'd like to buy one and cut it open to compare it to a Bosch Distance Plus and a Fleetguard Stratapore. Unfortunately PepBoys doesn't have one to fit my Cummins/Dodge.

Basically a K&N, or Mobil 1 but with a little bit of purple thrown in there. Filter by Champion Labs.

G

I think some misconceptions need to be cleared up.

First, Royal Purple has 100% synthetic media. We've discussed this before. It requires wire backing in order to be structurally sound and not disintegrate.

Second, M1 and K&N are a blend type of media. This means regardless of what the media is or what it's impregnated with...they're still a synthetic/cellulose blend. Not the same as Royal Purple.

All of them will share similar characteristics as they are racing type premium filters. To be clear though...they are not the same with just a little purple paint...

In comparing what the medias are capable of...I'm sure they all have good efficiency and high capacity. The RP will have much better cold flow properties though.

Lets not forget the new NAPA Platinum filters,same wire backed syn media and can be had for a decent price with there filter sale.

so yes the RP great filter but not the only choice for OTC now days if that's what your after.

Originally Posted By: BGK
there is NOTHING inside that makes them better than the K & N or Mobil 1.

you actually couldnt be more wrong. see for yourself
royal purple: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1671930

mobil 1: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2400854
K&N: http://www.rubiconownersforum.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=58887

the mobil 1 and k&ns look no better then a $5 wix to me... the royal purple on the other hand..

I just wanted to give everybody an update, now that I've had this superfilter on the MKX for awhile.

It's incredible!! My car is noticeably smoother, drives better, and is much more quiet! Oh yea... maybe the new set of tires has something to do with that!

FWIW, the equally sized Motorcraft FL1A and Purolator PL30001 have equal filtration & anti-drainback specs, but cost half the price. I don't know about build quality though.

Originally Posted By: kjmccarx
FWIW, the equally sized Motorcraft FL1A and Purolator PL30001 have equal filtration & anti-drainback specs, but cost half the price. I don't know about build quality though.

I doubt the Motorcraft FL1A has the same filtration spec as the PureOne PL30001 - that is, 99.9% @ 20 microns. Motorcraft filters are not that efficient.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: Jakegday

K&N: http://www.rubiconownersforum.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=58887

That's the best filter review I've ever seen. The pictures are extraordinary. Thanks for posting that link.
thumbsup2.gif

Very interesting read, but I think the guy was missing the big picture about nitrile rubber and silicon ADBV's. He called the one in the P1 filter to be "jelly like."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back