Assembly lube or motor oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm putting this Perkins engine back together and the manual says to use motor oil on all the bearings, etc. Would there be any disadvantage to using assembly lube? It seems like assembly lube would stay in place better till the engine builds oil pressure and it gets running again. I already have a tube of it and wouldn't mind using it up.

If a dummy shaft cant be used use the assembly lube. I also pack the oil pump gears with Vaseline for a quick prime.
If you can use a dummy shaft then use oil and prime it before first crank as priming will wash the assembly lube out anyway.

Assembly lube is fine to use as well as any grease especially with a moly additive. Be careful not to use a large amount that could plug the oil pick-up in the pan. Thin smears on all critical surfaces.

Out of habit I always use white Lubriplate grease. I usually never got uninterrupted time when putting engines together (phone, customers, employees, etc) and it was nice to be able to easily see exactly where I left off after taking care of other business.

I have seen guys use motor oil, assembly lube (EOS mixes), everything really, and never have been convinced one was better than the other. (Except on flat tappet cams). I knew one builder who only used WD40 as assembly lube on his cylinder bores and pistons when using chrome rings.

When I built engines for a living I used BG assy lube.
Don't know if they still make it or not. had a customer fire an engine W/O putting oil in and ran it for a few minutes, tore it down and no visable damage.
YMMV

Originally Posted By: sdan27
Would there be any disadvantage to using assembly lube? It seems like assembly lube would stay in place better till the engine builds oil pressure and it gets running again.

... that's why they make assembly lube.

... and why you shouldn't take everything in a manual to be 100% correct or best practice. The manufacturer is not always right, and they are wrong more often than you know.

use an assembly lube on or in bearings, and on lifters and lifter bores. If it's roller lifters then coat the cam lobe and roller lifter with assembly lube. If it's a flat tappet cam then best thing to use is an assembly paste that you brush on the cam lobes.

I've used from thick multi-vis motor oil to assembly lubes (always johnson cam lube for cams) in the past, and I must say that even if engine manufacturer recommendation is "not right", it doesn't mean that it's gonna cause your engine to explode.

Lube nor no lube(but use engine oil on bearings, etc.), it's really based on experience and knowledge. Some can get by barely with motor oil of some sort; other resort to using proper engine assembly lube.

No need to go anayl on this matter, IMHO.

Q.

*and yes, I've done many, many engines in the past; including blueprinting Hondas and Suzukis for racing*

There are different assembly lubes. WAY different.
For sure, use a moly lube on the cam/lifters [at least].
The bearings should be OK with either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back