Is this the same as Toyota T-IV ATF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a transmission flush at a quick lube place (not to be named). I asked if they had T-IV ATF for my '04 Toyota 4Runner. They said they did, so I had the flush done w/ 113k on the odo. I immediately noticed that the vehicle shifted more smoothly after the flush. However, within a couple weeks the transmission became sticky, e.g. felt engine braking while coasting, needed more brake pressure while idling at stop lights, vehicle would idle over inclines (e.g. my driveway) that previously required accelerator.

I did a little investigating and found out that this quick lube place does not have T-IV but instead uses Dextron w/ a Mighty (brand name) SB101 additive. I've since had the xmission reflushed at a stealership w/ the T-IV. The xmission seems to be operating normally again.

My questions: Is T-IV a Dextron base w/ additional additives or is it an entirely different composition? Can Dextron w/ the additive be used as a reasonable replacement to T-IV or is it just asking for trouble?

Based on my experience w/ the Dextron/additive I think I know the answers to the above questions. Any details that would help back up my suspicions would be greatly appreciated since I will likely be seeking at least a refund from the quick lube establishment.

JCM, I had a similar experience with my '03 4Runner. I had an Indie replace a shift solenoid for me, which requires dropping the pan cover. I specifically asked them to pick up some T-IV, but the invoice showed a Mercon? product that also had a 4 in the name. My transmissions misbehavior wasn't as obvious as yours, but it definitely didn't feel the same so I eventually did a full fluid replacement with Toyota T-IV via the trans cooler line and all was well again.

-Brent

JCM, even Lubegard, the top name in transmission supplements, is ambiguous on the issue. Their chart shows either their red, their highly friction modified black (similar to what you got), or their all purpose platinum product suitable for Dex-III in a T-IV application. Or maybe that Mighty product just isn't very good.

You should have taken the misbehaving transmission to that shop, demonstrated the problem, demanded a refund, and reported the shop to your state agency that regulates auto repair (Wisconsin?)
http://ww2.wisconsin.gov/san/agency/upload/doa/consumer/crrpp202.pdf

That shop performed an unauthorized repair--using an unauthorized fluid contrary to your instructions.

Mobil #3309/T-IV is specially formulated for AISIN ATs. It is NOT the same as Dex or Mercon. If you want more informastion go to the Mobil web site and look for ATF #3309. A good explanation. Darn shops like to stock one MO & one ATF to keep cost down and they screw up lots of good vehicles.

the problem is a lot of auto parts stores read/believe to much into the marketing of the bottles.. like ATP ads say you use 1 ATF (dex3) and their friction modifier will convert that to any fluid (exception of Dex6, no mention of WS or new mercon). Lubegard has the same friction modifier, I've used the one that converts dex3 to mercon V and it worked perfectly!
I've been hesitant to try the modifier to convert to atf _3/4 or the honda z1.. just dont want to risk that..

Originally Posted By: jcm414
.... I asked if they had T-IV ATF for my '04 Toyota 4Runner. .... I did a little investigating and found out that this quick lube place does not have T-IV but instead uses Dextron w/ a Mighty (brand name) SB101 additive. I've since had the xmission reflushed at a stealership w/ the T-IV. The xmission seems to be operating normally again.

My questions: Is T-IV a Dextron base w/ additional additives or is it an entirely different composition? Can Dextron w/ the additive be used as a reasonable replacement to T-IV or is it just asking for trouble? ....

In a properly designed ATF using a modern additive package like Lubrizol 9680 and 9684 you have characteristics that are very compatible with the T-IV specification as well as Ford Mercon V, GM Dexron III and prior, Hyundai/Mitsubishi SP III, JWS 3309, and so on. No additive is required, it is the way the tail is on the cat.

Dexron VI and Mercon SP are basically the same additive package but with a lighter viscosity base.

This is the reason why you see universal ATFs, including Mobil 1, Amzoil, and Royal Purple.

The only additive I have examined which I would consider using is the Lubegard product line by International Lubricants, and even there I would be hesitant to try to use some old Dexron II by “souping it up” with the Lubegard products.

Personally I would never let one of these quick lubes near my cars for any reason.

Toyota sells T-IV which is Mobil 3309 for about $5.xx per quart. I was never able to find 3309 in stores but, Mobil would sell it by the case.

Originally Posted By: NightRiderQ45
where can you find the Mobil 3309 in stores?

I order it from here: http://store.avlube.com/mobilatf3309.html

Or, as was said, I head over to the local Toyota dealer and buy T-IV for about $6.00/qt.

Both Volvos require a JWS-3309 fluid...the T-IV and 3309 meet that spec...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back