possible problems cause by auto-rx?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I've just recently got my oil change (mann, non-synthetic) with Hengst filter. I've just started using auto-rx just recently for less than 70 miles (Also Techron at the same time but I never have problem with it). My car is a 2001 celica manual gt with no issue with oil burning and it has always been running smooth.

Yesterday I've noticed rough idle in my car, it shakes when I'm just sitting with my car on and I don't believe it has done that before. My gas pedal feels like it's shaking for first gear, second, and reverse for 2k rpm and below. it just does not have the smooth acceleration like it used to have.

Anyone have any recommendation to how to fix this? I'm thinking it has been cold the last few days and the oil from auto-rx seized up.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if arx could cause that. Arx does seem to coagulate at low temps. I got ticking w/ arx in the cold but not shaking / rough idle. Coldest I had it was 30F though.

I seriously doubt it is the Arx. Have you used the oil filter before? If NO, try a different filter. If yes, change the oil. It is quite a coincidence this is happening right after oil change.

When was the last time you had your MTF fluid changed?

You live in Cali, unless you are in the mountains, you shouldn't be having to much cold issue.

Last edited:
I've used Auto RX in several vehicles and haven't noticed much of a change, for better or worse.

Did you only add it to your engine, or both Engine and Manual Transmission?

If only your engine than it may be the filter. Have you used this brand/make of filter before?

BTW, The longer you can keep Auto RX in the oil the better it seems to do.

I've had a lot of different noises and behavior happen in vehicles that went away after I changed the filter.

Welcome to the board!

Sounds like a fouled spark plug. On a nice running well maintained car don't pour all that stuff in it. Run top tore fuel and change oil and filters on a regular time frame and leave well enough alone. Wasted money.

I personally think there isn't an oil/engine additive that's anything but a filter clogger...I've never, ever seen any benefits from using any of them....

Was there a reason you used the Arx or did you just get caught in the Hype?
Arx claim that 'unusual things' engine lights etc. can happen during treatment, but you should carry on and things will be OK in the end.

Personally, I never felt comfortable with this explanation, what things CAN an oil additive do, other than possibly effect my engines lubrication
frown.gif

I seriously doubt ARX did anything at all. I never saw it do anything positive but on the other hand nothing really negative either.
If anything was caused by a chemical the Techron may have loosened a particle in an injector but that's also thin.
Its all guesswork at this point. A scan tool can help diagnose this quickly.

Originally Posted By: AndrewL
Hi, I've just recently got my oil change (mann, non-synthetic) with Hengst filter. I've just started using auto-rx just recently for less than 70 miles (Also Techron at the same time but I never have problem with it). My car is a 2001 celica manual gt with no issue with oil burning and it has always been running smooth.

Yesterday I've noticed rough idle in my car, it shakes when I'm just sitting with my car on and I don't believe it has done that before. My gas pedal feels like it's shaking for first gear, second, and reverse for 2k rpm and below. it just does not have the smooth acceleration like it used to have.

Anyone have any recommendation to how to fix this? I'm thinking it has been cold the last few days and the oil from auto-rx seized up.

You might want to call the owner of auto-rx, I am sure he would be happy to help you out.

I do not see Auto-RX causing this problem.
I have used this product.....it is not a miracle in a can and is supposed to clean SLOWLY, avoiding issue of a bunch of sludge suddenly coming free in the oil.
I have not had experience with a sludged up motor, so I cannot offer help there.

If concerned, I would change the oil filter and replace whatever oil you lose during that process with new oil.
I am not familiar with the brand of oil filter that you mention.
If you are concerned about the filter plugging up, Bosch Distance Plus and FRAM Extended Guard (XG) are filters that are rated for holding more dirt than regular filters.
They are readily available at Wal-mart and many auto part stores.

Originally Posted By: hounddog
Sounds like a fouled spark plug. On a nice running well maintained car don't pour all that stuff in it. Run top tier fuel and change oil and filters on a regular time frame and leave well enough alone. Wasted money.

This.

MMO, AutoRX, Kreen, ect...all snake oil. Don't use it.

If you maintain your car properly and use major branded fluids in the spec recommended by the car makers and you will have no issues for the most part.

Some of these products could actually cause damage. Not likely but why take the chance. It just goes to show that it is darn hard to convince people that miracle cure items are really smoke and mirrors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back