How to disconnect ABS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a a continuing problem with the ABS on my Nissan SUV. The problem is intermittent and the dealer is not able to isolate the cause. I want to disconnect the ABS system and my understanding is that I will have normal breaking. What is the best or correct method to accomplish this. Thank you. Ed Hayes

My friends Nissan is the Armada. Not sure what year though. I wonder if this is a common problem with Nissan.

Last edited:
ABS is the pits.Had a Cavalier with it,constant warning lights,and failed wheel sensors.I own no vehicle with ABS now.Fine when brand new,troublesome when they age.

As others have said - pulling the fuse disables the ABS system but more than likely will not make the "Brake" malfunction indicator light go out.

And if you have an accident where you run into someone and the car is examined and found to have the ABS disabled, you will be in a world of legal hurt! Your insurance will probably not stand behind you, you will face additional charges, etc. Get it fixed or sell the vehicle.

No problem pulling ABS codes going back to 96 on some vehicles.

OP..
Pulling the fuse will disable the ABS but more than likely illuminate the ABS light and if the vehicle is also equipped with traction control it may cause drivability Issues.

Some states (Florida not) require the ABS light to illuminate key on/ engine off if ABS is present and go out with key on/engine on or it is an automatic fail for inspection.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
ABS is the pits.Had a Cavalier with it,constant warning lights,and failed wheel sensors.I own no vehicle with ABS now.Fine when brand new,troublesome when they age.

Not for nothing but, I have owned nothing but ABS equipped vehicles since 1990. I have had Cavaliers, (2) 96,000 mi, 136,000 miles, I had a Buick Skylark 89,000 miles traded for a bigger car, Buick Regal, 1996, 97,000 miles, traded for a van (bigger car), Ford Windstar (real lemon, 92,000 miles), Ford Freestyle, 2006, only 45,000 miles and counting (my daily driver), 2007 Cobalt 65,000 miles and counting. My daughters daily driver. 2009 Cadillac CTS, wifes daily driver, still a baby, garaged, only 18,000 miles. ALL these vehicles have had ABS, I have not had one problem with the ABS in any of them. With the winter driving here they get a real workout too.

Originally Posted By: Towncivilian
If the vehicle is 2008 or newer, can you pull the codes from the ABS system? See section BRC in the factory service manual for descriptions.

Keep in mind that most standard, OBDII scanners will not read the ABS codes. There are separate ABS code readers for that.

it really needs to be fixed correctly, on modern vehicles the entire brake and traction control system is designed AROUND the abs system, not having this system operate properly or disconnecting it could cause a multitude of problems many of which would be safety issues.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
I have a a continuing problem with the ABS on my Nissan SUV. The problem is intermittent and the dealer is not able to isolate the cause. I want to disconnect the ABS system and my understanding is that I will have normal breaking. What is the best or correct method to accomplish this. Thank you. Ed Hayes

Any dealer that can't diagnose this should be avoided........ find another. This is not rocket science. Often just cleaning the sensors on each brake system will work. Any scanner that can't read this must be a real POS. Should work back to 1996.

Is it under warranty? All the comments about insurance, passing state inspections, safety, etc are valid. Don't defeat something that is benficial.

Last edited:
I feel the OP pain. I had a 97 pathfinder and it's ABS was the worst I'd ever used. It caused more problems in snow, especially on downhills, than it solved. You could NOT stop that car going down a slick hill, as the ABS would kick back and release the brakes (remember, ABS was balance L-R release to avoid putting the car in a spin, so if one side slips, the other will be released to prevent yaw from braking forces, and how they do this varies in programming).

I did multiple 2 am tests with and w/o ABS in that nissan and consistently casually out-braked it by a small margin - 15% with the ABS disabled (however, I am a fairly seasoned snow driver). BUT, the downhill issue was SERIOUS as it wouldn't let you stop!! So in the winter I'd pull the fuse.

Rest of the abs vehicles we've had were far better. honda, chrysler, ford. SO--- its effectiveness must vary per manufacturer.

IDK if insurance will drop you if it's proven that you had an abs light. How many cars are driving around with ABS, engine, TCS lights now as the age? The officer did not, to my knowledge, ask the kid who rear-ended me recently if his abs light was on. It would be scary if insurance would be that catty. Opens a whole new can of worms. Your tires were at the wear bars... we aren't covering you. Your oil was low, so you couldn't pull out fast enough, we aren't covering you.... Is that for real in some municipalities? (Asking--- not arguing)

Anyway, I would try to get it fixed. It's most likely a front wheel sensor--- those wires have to twist and flex more than the others.

M

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back