High quality oil for a 2003 Jetta IV GLI VR6 24V?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey fellow Canuck! you can't really go wrong with many of the oils suggested to you here by the fellow members..

but for u to find a product locally and easily at a decent cost and something u can use year round, your options are following

Walmart & Canadian Tire
Mobil 1 0W-40
Mobil 1 TDT 5W-40
Shell T6 5W-40
Castrol Euro 0W-30 (GC)
Castrol 5W-40 (Outdated, not really popular)

Now, one of my buddies has VR6 and he has been successfully using Amsoil SS 10W30

Goodluck!

Originally Posted By: Ibrahim
hey fellow Canuck! you can't really go wrong with many of the oils suggested to you here by the fellow members..

but for u to find a product locally and easily at a decent cost and something u can use year round, your options are following

Walmart & Canadian Tire
Mobil 1 0W-40
Mobil 1 TDT 5W-40
Shell T6 5W-40
Castrol Euro 0W-30 (GC)
Castrol 5W-40 (Outdated, not really popular)

Now, one of my buddies has VR6 and he has been successfully using Amsoil SS 10W30

Goodluck!

Hey Ibrahim
08.gif

For the Mobi1 0W-40 from what I've read about it is that its a good cold weather oil, but what about in the hot summer months? I'm looking for a high quality oil that works well in both warm and cold seasons all year round.

Thanks for all the input guys!

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Mr_Accord
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Add M1 0w-40 and PU 5w-40 to your list. But the ones you mentioned will work, too.

I would definitely add those oils, but they aren't available at any of the big box stores or autoparts stores in my area, and if they are I have never seen them on the shelf's.

Do you have Canadian Tire near you? IIRC, they carry M1 0w-40. Maybe some other Canadian (OVERKILL?) can confirm? It's a very popular oil.

Canadian Tire and/or Walmart Canada should carry either or all of:
GC 0W-30
M1 0W-40
Castrol Syntec 5W-40
Valvoline Synpower 5W-40

PU 5W-40 is tuff to find in my neck of the woods here in the Ottawa Valley

Quote:
PU 5W-40 is tuff to find in my neck of the woods here in the Ottawa Valley

I have never seen PU 5W-40 anywhere in the MTL area

PU 5W-40 is hard to find at local stores anywhere in North America, but it's available online and may be at Big Lots in near future !

I like the old school Castrol Syntec 5W-40 in these VR6 engines. Heck, I even like Castrol 5W-50 in these things.

VW isn't über picky about the oil other than to specify a VW 502.00 product. The engine is a bit of a oddity in that it's a narrow angle Vee design with the timing components located between the engine/transmission mating face. Changing a timing chain or even a tensioner or guide is a major job.

Use VW 502.00 oil, Mahle filters (Mann and Hengst optional), VW G-12 coolant and high octane fuel and enjoy the 'fahrvergnügen'. haha

Originally Posted By: FowVay
I like the old school Castrol Syntec 5W-40 in these VR6 engines. Heck, I even like Castrol 5W-50 in these things.

VW isn't über picky about the oil other than to specify a VW 502.00 product. The engine is a bit of a oddity in that it's a narrow angle Vee design with the timing components located between the engine/transmission mating face. Changing a timing chain or even a tensioner or guide is a major job.

Use VW 502.00 oil, Mahle filters (Mann and Hengst optional), VW G-12 coolant and high octane fuel and enjoy the 'fahrvergnügen'. haha

With my Jetta 2.0T I expereince oil consumption with the regular Syntec 5W-40. I know VW says some oil consumption is normal, but I don't like it. So far with GC 0W-30 the 2.0T has not consumed any to this point.

I agree with : Use VW 502.00 oil ( find one your car likes) , Mahle filters (Mann and Hengst optional), VW G-12 coolant and high octane fuel and enjoy

I think I'm going to try Total Quartz 9000 5W-40. I found it at an auto parts store near by for 32$ for a 5L jug, cheaper than M1 and Syntec and so far I haven't heard anything bad about it.

Last edited:
It will work fine but it is rather unremarkable in terms of specifications and basestock.

The Total Quartz 9000 0w30 is far more impressive.

Find a bulk Petro-Canada distributor, one will be nearby.

Buy some Duron-E 0W-40 or 5W-40 oil. Perfect oil for this app.

M1 0w40 is a fantastic oil. Use it with confidence. Amsoil AFL, HDD, or DEO would also work well if you dont mind ordering!

If you call a carquest which can be found carquest.ca under there locations tab in your area. You can ask them to look up the Pennzoil Ultra Euro 5W-40 Canadian Part #550025270. I know they can get it because I got it through them.

Napa Canada also carries it but they ask an arm and a leg.

Good Luck!
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back