Pennzoil YB 5w30 vs. Valvoline Next Gen 5w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to change the oil in the Jeep in about a week for winter. Both the PYB and Valvoline Next Gen are the same price at the local Autozone. Which one should I try? I plan on doing a UOA. How long should I run it for in my 4.0? I do mostly short trips.

I have used both vwb and pyb had great results with both of them. I am assuming that the vgb is equal in quality to the vwb. Just seems that valvoline and castrol are usually the most expensive oils in my area. I would vote for the pennzoil since that is what i use now.

Last edited:
Looking at the additive packages, I would go Pennzoil. Valvoline looks pretty weak on the initial TBN numbers especially. Although I will say their synpower looks weak as well but usually returns great numbers in used oil analysis.

I really don't think any of the major brand SN oils hold an advantage over the other. Use either one and the outcome will be the same. A great running clean engine!

I've run both before. I'm running the NextGen now in the Kia. Both hold up well with 5K OCI. Valvoline has a 10.00 rebate going on NextGen right now, so it may be worth at least one oil change with the green bottle.

Haven't been to the PQIA site in awhile. Just went on there and noticed that Mobil Special numbers were somewhat better than the MS5K. I'm a Mobil user and I can't deny how stout PYB numbers are! The price hike will cause me NOT to purchase it. I have Kendall Titanium in my car now...and looking at those number have me impressed greatly! Wish it was a otc product.

Looking at PQI for all the oils - I can't help but be struck by the presence of potassium in multiple majors. As if the sodium alone didn't make coolant detection tricky enough...

I'm currently running Rotella T6 synthetic which I like, but feel is a little too thick for my short trips. I commute to college everyday and only drive about 15 minutes one way. By the time I get to school the Jeep is barely getting warmed up. I've been thinking about doing a UOA soon of RT6 and PYB and comparing the wear.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
I'm currently running Rotella T6 synthetic which I like, but feel is a little too thick for my short trips. I commute to college everyday and only drive about 15 minutes one way. By the time I get to school the Jeep is barely getting warmed up. I've been thinking about doing a UOA soon of RT6 and PYB and comparing the wear.

Those would be interesting uoa`s

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
NEXTGEN!
Why would people not want to support this product?
If I could buy it here, I would be using it right now.

Maybe it's a little thick for some.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back