2000 Corolla Oil Baffle question

Status
Not open for further replies.
2000 Corolla 1.8 148k. While cleaning the throttle body, gave it a few revs, heard a strange noise. Best way to describe it is like a piece of metal or tin vibrating on top of a lifter. Looking down the oil filler hole, I can see directly to 2 of the lifters, with no baffle obstruction (cant see anything but baffle in my other cars). Before I unnecessarily tear the valve cover off, can somebody tell me if there should be a baffle at the bottom of the filler hole for these years?

It looks like it is a problem in that vehicle, along with other Toyota models where the baffle can be easily broken off by the nozzles at service fill shops. This is not what happened to you per se, but you have to take the VC off.

Toyota continued to have this problem up to 2004 in many of its models.

Please let me/us know if this is the problem.

I have one on my T4R and it is a pain. It is black and obstructs the view of the inside of the engine.

Maybe, when the time comes to replace the valve cover gaskets, I'll see if there is a way that this baffle can be safely removed.

If its off the car, see no reason why you cant nip off that corner. I guess Im going to have to open her up. see where the piece is.

Closer inspection - baffle is partially bent downwards, rounded with no kink. Not hitting anything, will just leave it alone. Noise appears to be related to continued low (but better) oil pressure from sludge which is being removed slowly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back