2012 Mazda5 Best Oil for Long Life?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello. My father's 2012 Mazda 5 has hit 10,000 miles and is ready for it's 3rd oil change. I know the factory recommends 0w20 oil but I feel like its too thin. Would the engine last longer using 5w20 oil? Also, what oil and filter should I use? I've heard motorcraft or mobil 1 are good, but please share your knowledge.

Thanks!!!

Really? I'm a newbie sorry...

Someone know the oil capacity with filter change for the 2012. My father misplaced his manual.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
You know that 0w-20 isn't really thinner than 5w-20, right? Right?!

Using Mobil 1 as an example...
0w20 viscosity at 100C is 8.7
5w20 viscosity at 100C is 8.9
...so the 0w20 is slightly thinner at operating temp than the 5w20.

Originally Posted By: caideN
Hello. My father's 2012 Mazda 5 has hit 10,000 miles and is ready for it's 3rd oil change. I know the factory recommends 0w20 oil but I feel like its too thin. Would the engine last longer using 5w20 oil? Also, what oil and filter should I use? I've heard motorcraft or mobil 1 are good, but please share your knowledge.

Thanks!!!

As you can see from my signature, I'm in a similar situation with my two Mazdas. I'm running 20wt. in each (following manufacturer recomendations) but I'm going with 20wt. oils that are on the thick side of 20 weights.

Really? I'm a newbie sorry...

Someone know the oil capacity with filter change for the 2012. My father misplaced his manual.

Both of my Mazdas with the 2.5 engine are 5.3qts with filter.

So what oil should I use to expect best engine life? That 1-2% FE I can careless.

It honestly depends on the driving style / conditions.

If you live in a really hot climate, a 5w30 could be beneficial, esp if the car is driven spiritedly and ran Hard on a daily basis.

If it's driven normally and doesn't see very high temps, the factory recommended 0w20 will have more then enough strength to protect the engine and help it outlast the rest of the car 2 or 3 times over. Trust me.

Generally speaking, most 0w20s are formulated to a higher standard and built better than most 5w30s. I would go with the recomended viscosity, without a doubt. The oil systems (pump included) are designed to allow more oil flow which provides a better turnover rate at the point of friction than anything that may create a higher backpressure (that also uses mechanical energy to work against that backpressure).

Do not fall victim to SAE grade misrepresetation!

Originally Posted By: Mark_Walk
Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
You know that 0w-20 isn't really thinner than 5w-20, right? Right?!

Using Mobil 1 as an example...
0w20 viscosity at 100C is 8.7
5w20 viscosity at 100C is 8.9
...so the 0w20 is slightly thinner at operating temp than the 5w20.

As it turns out you're correct that M1 0W-20 is lighter than M1 5W-20 but it's not because of the slight difference in the kinematic viscosity spec's. The 0W-20 has a lower HTHSV of 2.7cP and and a higher 173 VI vs 2.77cP and a 163 VI for the 5W-20.
It is these two viscosity spec's that determine how thick or thin an oil will be at any given operating temp' above freezing.

M1 0W-20 is actually thicker than most 20wt oils which tend to have HTHSV in the 2.6cP area which I'm sure is what it is for the Mazda Brand 0W-20.

BTW, the Mazda 0W-20 oil is one Japanese 0W-20 we know nothing about in the States. We know who makes the Toyota, Honda and Subaru 0W-20s but not Mazda. If someone could post a picture of the bottle that might help determine the source of their oil.

Thanks!!!

You used the word thin for 0-20. That is the wrong word for 0w oils. 0w oils are formulated to flow better in cold temps than 5-10w oils. 0w oils are not thinner but flow better. Here is a video from M1 describing how 0w oils work. Scroll down to the video on 0w oils.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Videos/Videos.aspx

We run JDM Mazda Golden SM 5w30 in that engine over here. They go to the trouble of importing 55 gallon drums of the stuff from Japan for our small market.
I'd stick to the 0w20 as listed by Mazda USA so you don't have any warranty issues if a problem occurs.
Once its out of warranty you might want to try a 0w30/5w30 as you'll have had the car for 60,000 miles/5 years.

Would the engine last longer using 5w20 oil?

No, but it would probably last longer using 10W-30.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

I highly doubt that. The engine was designed to run on 20 weight oils, so running a thicker oil is really not doing it any favors, especially on cold starts.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

Since 80-85% of wear occurs on start why would a 10-30 oil help an engine to last longer than a quicker flowing oil like 0-20 or 0-30?

I have mostly used 5w 20 Motorcraft or Kendall syn blend on my Mazda 3 with no issues. At the moment I'm using PP but will most likely go to Kendall since I only do 5-6K OCI.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM

BTW, the Mazda 0W-20 oil is one Japanese 0W-20 we know nothing about in the States. We know who makes the Toyota, Honda and Subaru 0W-20s but not Mazda. If someone could post a picture of the bottle that might help determine the source of their oil.

Looks like another Idemitsu fluid. Kinda suspected it since they source the M-V ATF from said same source.
C340C03EC7D9B98F875D70B84B223956__23603_zoom.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back