06 Buick Lucerne 3.8 rear spark plug removal ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
My daughter will have her 06 Buick Lucerne 3.8 this weekend.
The car has over 80,000 miles on it and I thought I would replace the original plugs. I have the delco plugs, but I
thought I would research 1st the best way to get at the rear plugs before I start the job. Any hints?

The best way to do it with out a lift or a lot of tools:

Make sure the engine is cold, lay with your chest on the intake manifold, stick your hand back there and remove the plug wires, then grab your wrench and fish around for the hole, then unscrew the plug and if it doesn't come out with the socket, get an extending magnet and get them out. Then apply the anti-sieze and dielectric on the ceramic and drop one down each tube and tighten them in.

Or you can undo the wishbones and tilt the engine forward for a little extra working room...

I did it on my 3.4L grand am and my moms 3.8L series 2, It takes a while if you do not know where to fish for the holes, but it can be done in your driveway over a few beers and an hour.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its a little tight but not bad on the 3800 in the larger bodied cars. Nothing special just a little dexterity.
The 3400 in a van and small bodies is a nightmare, dog bones off, tilting the engine the whole 9 yards.

I undid the dog bones on the front of my Buick Regal and pulled the engine foward a bit with a ratchet strap. Really in that you should have enough room to get in there without doing that.

If I recall correctly, there's a hole for the bolt on the dog bone to go through in the 'forward' position. It holds the engine forward enough to allow some access to the rear plugs.

There are no dog bone top engine mounts on LeSabres, Park Avenues, and Lucernes. You guys are thinking of Pontiacs.

Like what Brenden said...lay up there and feel around. It also will be required that you have a swivel for your rachect. You will be fine. You may even be able to get them from the bottom.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
There are no dog bone top engine mounts on LeSabres, Park Avenues, and Lucernes. You guys are thinking of Pontiacs.

No dog bones on Pontiacs either, at least my son's 2002 GrandAm, regardless of what the Service Manual says. Do this job soon! I tried plug replacement on my sons's car during the winter holiday period and couldn't get the rear plugs out. Tried it again in the Spring with outdoor temperatures at 70 and it was doable.

Ask your Dr if he can insert an additional elbow in your left arm before you do this job.

Originally Posted By: MI_Roger
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

No dog bones on Pontiacs either, at least my son's 2002 GrandAm, regardless of what the Service Manual says. Do this job soon! I tried plug replacement on my sons's car during the winter holiday period and couldn't get the rear plugs out. Tried it again in the Spring with outdoor temperatures at 70 and it was doable.

Ask your Dr if he can insert an additional elbow in your left arm before you do this job.

GTPs have dog bones as do Buick Regals. I had an 01 Pontiac GTP. The 3800 cars with blower have them for sure.

I think all cars, at least the Grand Prix size ones, have the dog bone motor mount.

This applies to the 3.8, but my Olds Cutlass(1989) had them with the 3.1 as well.

We're talking about the front motor mount; top side, left of center (standing in front of car).

Last edited:
My Supercharged 2004 Monte Carlo SS with the 3800 has the dog bones but when I changed the plugs, I just put a blanket on top of the engine and layed on it and reached back there and did the job. I did get scraped up a little but it wasn't too bad.

Wayne

I'm sue his Lucerne doesn't have dog bone mounts it has a hydraulic round mount the bolts to the front of trans, no reason to tilt motor on this model just reach behind motor and change plugs. compared to lots of cars these are fairly easy.

I didn't have time to do it this past weekend, but I did take the engine cover off and look at it. On the backside, the two on
the right side of the engine can be had by leaning ove the passanger sode fender. The one on the drivers side, I will have to lay across the engine. It actually doesn't look that bad of job. But I haven't done it yet. Thanks for the input. I wouldn't have thought to lay across the engine. That's something that I have to do with my fiero.

No wonder we often get only 4 New plugs in the V6 engines when we ask for a tuneup:)). I guess this is what GM calls their Professional Grade vehicles?

Originally Posted By: Eddie
No wonder we often get only 4 New plugs in the V6 engines when we ask for a tuneup:)). I guess this is what GM calls their Professional Grade vehicles?

Professional Grade is GMC only
smile.gif

Oh and you cannot blame GM or any make for LOUSY and LAZY mechanics who will leave an old spark plug in. I have seen some challenging spark plugs but never have I ever left them in - I get 'em.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Eddie

This has nothing to do with GM and everything to do with the mechanic turning the wrench.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back