2004 F150 Transfer Case: XL-12 or Redline D4 ATF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Guys,

I registered for this forum after lurking for years because I need some advice from people who know their lubricants!

I have a 2004 F150 4x4 (New Body Style)and I'm changing the transfer case fluid at 67k.

I know that the original fill was Mercon ATF, which seems to be no longer available, and Mercon V is the new ATF. I also know that Ford states that Mercon V should not be used in transfer cases. Everyone knows that warning is printed on many Mercon V ATF bottles as well.

Ford has their XL-12 Transfer Case Fluid, which I've read on this forum is basically straight Mercon ATF, and this is the fluid that Ford recommends.

I'm sure that Ford's XL-12 is straight dinosaur oil, and even though it's what is recommended, I'd like something with a little more protection because I run all Redline fluids in my truck. My question is: Can I fill the transfer case with Redline D4 ATF or would that cause a problem?

I couldn't seem to find a straight answer on that searching the heck out of this forum and many others. I'm just looking for something a little better than the OEM fluid that won't "ruin" the transfer case. Also, some people have said that Mobil 1 makes a Mercon (not Mercon V) fluid, but I can't seem to find that as an alternative either. I still have no idea why Mercon V isn't spec'd for transfer cases either, that doesn't really make sense.

Thanks in advance!

Look on the Amsoil website for your vehicle. I took a quick look, not knowing your engine and they list their synthetic multi vehicle ATF for the TC. I have that in the TC for my Jeep and Suburban. I did not think there was a lot of complexity in the transfer case, just a couple of gears and a big chain.

One of the best sources of info about oil for specific applications is Dave over at Red Line. Many of us have talked with him and he always gives a straight answer. He will tell you if RL has a product that will work for you or not. (800) 624-7958

Originally Posted By: HB1244
Hey Guys,

I registered for this forum after lurking for years because I need some advice from people who know their lubricants!

I have a 2004 F150 4x4 (New Body Style)and I'm changing the transfer case fluid at 67k.

I know that the original fill was Mercon ATF, which seems to be no longer available, and Mercon V is the new ATF. I also know that Ford states that Mercon V should not be used in transfer cases. Everyone knows that warning is printed on many Mercon V ATF bottles as well.

Ford has their XL-12 Transfer Case Fluid, which I've read on this forum is basically straight Mercon ATF, and this is the fluid that Ford recommends.

I'm sure that Ford's XL-12 is straight dinosaur oil, and even though it's what is recommended, I'd like something with a little more protection because I run all Redline fluids in my truck. My question is: Can I fill the transfer case with Redline D4 ATF or would that cause a problem?

I couldn't seem to find a straight answer on that searching the heck out of this forum and many others. I'm just looking for something a little better than the OEM fluid that won't "ruin" the transfer case. Also, some people have said that Mobil 1 makes a Mercon (not Mercon V) fluid, but I can't seem to find that as an alternative either. I still have no idea why Mercon V isn't spec'd for transfer cases either, that doesn't really make sense.

Thanks in advance!

I disagree in the merc v being bunk for t-cases. I run merc v in my 94. You have to run merc v cause it is the only merc produced right now besides the one special kind. it also is backward compatable with anything that uses merc. i have been running it in my t-case for a few months now and works good for me. I think it was 05 when the last bottle of the previous merc was made. im running mobil super multi vehicle atf in my t-case and transmission. I think you should phone your local ford and see what they say.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hate2work

One of the best sources of info about oil for specific applications is Dave over at Red Line. Many of us have talked with him and he always gives a straight answer. He will tell you if RL has a product that will work for you or not. (800) 624-7958

+1 This is your vehicle and important to you. Dave will give it to you straight. The Ford Fluid (XL-12) will work fine as well. Call Dave though, he gets these questions all the time.

I called Dave at Red Line, and he said that their D4 ATF was the way to go, so I drained it and filled it up with 2 quarts tonight.

Thanks for the advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back