Michelin LTX MS/2

Status
Not open for further replies.
My low tire sensors came on today, so I stop by Discount Tire to have it checked out. As (my) luck would have it the two front tires had belts showing through (need to check the alignment).

So I was going just replace the two bad ones (the factory tires are Pirelli Scorpion ATRs in 275/55R20), but they did not have them in stock. They did have Michelin LTX MS/2 in my size, so I opted to replace the whole set. I managed 51,000 on the Pirelli's and so not terrible, but less than I hoped for.

The Michelins have a Uniform Tire Quality Grade (UTQG) Rating of 720 versus 520 for the ATRs so I am hopeful this will mean that I can roll more than 50K on them. The ATRs were a good tire (I rotated every 6K), but they began whining after some time. Anyone run the LTXs in 275/55R20? How have they worked out?

Thanks in advance...

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Ive heard plenty of good about LTX tires. How much did it set you back?

With all of the usual suspects included, just a touch over 10 bills...

Best 10 bills you could have spent. You will be very happy with them. 6K rotations and keep the pressures in check. 70-80K tire no problem. Congrats

Michelin LTX MS/2 is the highest rated by owners of the Highway All-Season tires, it also has very good warranty. It's a little expensive, but it will last up to 70k miles or more.

Michelin LTX and LTX MS/2 are some of the best suv highway all-seasons out there. We had about 50k on the LTX M/S on our expedition and they were down to 2/32nds before we sold it, so I'd say they wore pretty well.

I have run two sets of the Pirelli's in this size and now have two sets of the LTX M/S2 in this size on two vehicles, Mark LT and a Navigator. I can't say strongly enough how much better the LTX is. I only got 40k on my ATR's on my Mark LT so I would bet your going to get 70-80k easy in the LTX M/S2. I only got 25k on the ATR's on the Navigator but it doesn't get alot of Highway miles and its heavy. I have 12k on my first set on the Mark LT and the tires look new which I would expect.

Especially on larger heavier vehicles you will have a hard time finding a better tire.

One of the unique characteristics of the LTX MS and the '2' is that they do not fall off in performance as they wear down.

I routinely get over 60k miles out of a set on 9000 pound work vans. They may last forever on my Silverados!

Quote:
As (my) luck would have it the two front tires had belts showing through (need to check the alignment).
Not to be too snarky, but luck had nothing to do with the extreme tire wear. The best way to get the longest life from any set of tires is to know what's happening with them. Look at them frequently to check for rapid wear and check the inflation frequently. Rotate to equalize wear and add tire life.

I love mine, so far I have been quite impressed. They really seem to be worth the extra money.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ken2
Quote:
As (my) luck would have it the two front tires had belts showing through (need to check the alignment).
Not to be too snarky, but luck had nothing to do with the extreme tire wear. The best way to get the longest life from any set of tires is to know what's happening with them. Look at them frequently to check for rapid wear and check the inflation frequently. Rotate to equalize wear and add tire life.

Tires were rotated and balanced every 6K and based upon what others have stated here and on Tirerack, 51,000 miles is above average so I think I did my part on the maintenance front.

Originally Posted By: Lakersguy
I have run two sets of the Pirelli's in this size and now have two sets of the LTX M/S2 in this size on two vehicles, Mark LT and a Navigator. I can't say strongly enough how much better the LTX is. I only got 40k on my ATR's on my Mark LT so I would bet your going to get 70-80k easy in the LTX M/S2. I only got 25k on the ATR's on the Navigator but it doesn't get alot of Highway miles and its heavy. I have 12k on my first set on the Mark LT and the tires look new which I would expect.

At 51,000 miles, I do not feel so "cheated" based upon your experience and that of others on Tirerack. Thanks for the input!

I'd feel cheated if I only got 50k out of tires, much less Michelins (my last set of a different spec LT tire by same went 120k). The LTX M/S is bulletproof as a choice.

I have the LTX M/S 2, but not in the size you mentioned. They replaced a set of Michelin Cross Terrains on my Tundra that still had tread life, but were starting to develop dry rot cracks due to age ( 7 + years old). As somebody else pointed out, they are rated at 70,000 miles in regards to threadware. I have had good luck with several modesl of Michelin tires. They seem to keep in round and threadware is good. I think keeping the tire properly inflated and rotating them every 5,000-7,500 miles helps.

The tires are relatively new, but I have been very happy with the tires performance. The ride has also been quiet and comfortable. For those who follow such things, it was one of the highest rated all season Truck and SUV tires according to Consumer Reports. It also seemed to get very good reviews at the Tire Rack. I got mine through Costco. With the $70.00 discount on 4 tires from Michelin, I got a set of 4 P265/70R16 out the door for about $870 and some pocket change. While definitely not chump change, I am happy with the tires and believe they will probably last the life of the truck.

Originally Posted By: TheTanSedan
I'd feel cheated if I only got 50k out of tires...

I would agree except that most of the reviews I read about the Pirelli's indicate that I managed far more miles than most--in some cases almost double.

So far so good on the Michelins--I have over 1.5K on them and 500 of that towing a heavy load in the rain. They handle and drive as well as the Pirelli's. However, they do whine more from the onset as opposed to the Pirelli's (which did not whine until 30K or so). As long as I get at least the advertised 70K out of them I will be happy.

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
Originally Posted By: TheTanSedan
I'd feel cheated if I only got 50k out of tires...

I would agree except that most of the reviews I read about the Pirelli's indicate that I managed far more miles than most--in some cases almost double.

So far so good on the Michelins--I have over 1.5K on them and 500 of that towing a heavy load in the rain. They handle and drive as well as the Pirelli's. However, they do whine more from the onset as opposed to the Pirelli's (which did not whine until 30K or so). As long as I get at least the advertised 70K out of them I will be happy.

Interesting that you found the Michelins whiner. I found the ATRs to be very quite for 10k but then noisy. THE M/S's are very quite. I also had them in the snow this past week and never once did they break loose in the snow.

I'm running the previous LTX M/S tires on my wife's Xterra. We've had them for about 2.5 years, about 35k miles or so. They still have tons of miles to go, and if rotated properly (and honestly this tire cares about rotations a LOT less than others) and pressures kept in check, this tire will last a very long time. I rotate every 5k miles, and keep the air pressure slightly higher than recommended. No balance or noise issues on these tires yet. The 2s should be even better as the originals are an old tire now (but still awesome).

Originally Posted By: Lakersguy
I also had them in the snow this past week and never once did they break loose in the snow.

Good to know! We are heading to CO between Christmas and New Year and nice to know they handle well in the snow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back