2011 Tacoma 4.0 V6

Status
Not open for further replies.

SRR

Searched 8 pages looking for oil info...

What synthetic oil would you choose between these three for a toyota 4.0 v6. Pennzoil, Castrol or Mobil 1 in 5-30.

I thought oil was oil until I found this site..Now I am really confused. Thanks for the help!!

Originally Posted By: SRR

What synthetic oil would you choose between these three for a toyota 4.0 v6. Pennzoil, Castrol or Mobil 1 in 5-30.

I thought oil was oil until I found this site..Now I am really confused. Thanks for the help!!

What's the spec? Conventional oil is good. I perfer synthetic. They should make it mandatory for everyone to visit this site so they learn about oil and how important it is to the engine.

You will likely get 101 different responses but this should sum it up.

1. Any of those oil is fine, pick whatever one you like or that is on sale.

2. Pennzoil syn will prob be a small favorite on this site because it consistently provides good oil analysis over a wide range of vehicles. It is really good oil

3. For normal oci's, any one of those oils is a great choice.

I thought oil was oil until I found this site..Now I am really confused.

You were right in the first place, oil is oil. The important thing is to change it at regular intervals.

ANY SN rated oil changed at reasonable intervals used with a quality filter will allow engines to last far longer than you will want to keep it.

What synthetic oil would you choose between these three
for a toyota 4.0 v6. Pennzoil, Castrol or Mobil 1 in 5-30.

There you go. I narrowed it down for you.
grin2.gif

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's spec'd for a 20-weight oil so why not just go with Toyota synthetic 0w20?

i have a 2011 4.0 tacoma also, i got a few more free oil changes at the dealer, then im think ill go with amsoil 5W30. mshu7, the 4.0's are specd for 5W30.

Not all Toyota engines can use 0W20, the Venza uses 5W30(both engines) and the 4.0L uses 5W30 only as well. All others(current models) call for either 5W20 or 0W20.

Last edited:

I had a 2005 Tacoma with the 4.0L( bought new ). From my time on the Toyota Tacoma message forums Mobil 1 synthetic seemed to be the most popular. I only had it 7 months as it was a big ol' pile of buffalo dung however. Couldn't wait to get rid of it. Only did 2 OC's on it. FWIW I will relate my experience to you.

One thing I learned about the 4.0L while on the Tacoma forums( at least on the early models ), and experienced myself, is the 4.0L's were very picky about the oil filter used or you got a lot of engine noise in the valve train area while under load( a flow issue ). Some did it and some didn't but it was a pretty common thing. Maybe they have fixed it by now?

My 05 had the condition to some degree with the factory oil filter( dealer told me it was "normal" ). I changed out the FF oil and filter around 1000 as the noise was driving me insane. I used Castrol GTX and a name brand filter and the noise was actually worse. At approx 2500 I swapped to Mobil 1 synthetic and a Mobil 1 oil filter after reading on the forums that the combo of the 2 seemed to do the best job of making the noise go away or at least lessen it. It went away for me with the M1 combo. IMO however it was the high flow M1 filter that did it more so than the oil.

This is the advice I would give you. Using a full synthetic of any quality brand is always what I recommend. Conventional oil is good these days too however so if you use a good quality conventional you will be ok. I just prefer synthetic. However, use a premium filter( Purolator, Wix/Napa Gold, Bosch, etc... )with good flow characteristics regardless of the type/brand of oil you use. Stay away from the Fram's and STP's of the world. If you start to experience engine noise under load( valve train area )try an M1 filter or a K&N. Those 2 seemed to do the best job of dealing with the noise back in 05. I would think the new RP filters would do a good job too but? If just the M1 filter doesn't eliminate it or only lessens it a bit try the M1 5W30 synthetic.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back