What to put in fuel tank for winter storage???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am new to the site and not sure if this has been beaten to death or not.

I have a 2000 GTI VR6 with a VF Supercharger that I am planning to store for the winter in my garage.

Is there an additive or suggestion to prevent water/gelling/varnish/degradation of the fuel???

I'd rather not drain the tank. It has less than a 1/2 tank in it now.

Should I fill it all the way or drive it till empty?

It's "withdrawn from use" according to my insurance, so I don't know about driving it till empty.

What brand or type of additive do you suggest and where I could pick some up
or the best plan of action for me to take.

Thanks

If you use stabil or PRI-G, fill the tank all the way to minimise condensation of moisture during storage...

Personal experience: the ethanol blended (10%) fuel degrades quicker than pure gasoline...ideally, you would be able to fill it with unblended fuel...hard to find here in VA...not sure about CT...

Star brite Star Tron Enzyme Fuel Treatment Gas Additive.

Google it, this is what everyone uses in their boats for winter storage around here.

Available at marinas, or through Amazon.

Originally Posted By: AstroTurf
PRI-G

Google it... Best Stuff on the Planet.

Jim

My problem with PRI products is that they claim they can rejuvenation old gas. I asked a tech support guy at Chevron and he said that is impossible, so I doubt the claims PRI-G makes. It maybe be good gas stabilizer, unsure.

I would suggest blue Stabil or Startron gas treatment, also blue.

I'm a Navy veteran. Before going on deployments of six months or more, I used to do all the usual things recommended. Then, as synthetic oils and unleaded fuels became the norm, I did less and less until, finally, with the advent of electronic fuel injection systems and "sealed" fuel tanks, I did nothing more than add a fuel stabilizer to whatever amount of fuel was in the tank and sailed away. Never had problem with V-dubs, many Hondas or Porsches. I'd say do whatever allows you to sleep at night, but IMHO the "usual things" aren't really necessary.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Hounds
I'm a Navy veteran. Before going on deployments of six months or more, I used to do all the usual things recommended. Then, as synthetic oils and unleaded fuels became the norm, I did less and less until, finally, with the advent of electronic fuel injection systems and "sealed" fuel tanks, I did nothing more than add a fuel stabilizer to whatever amount of fuel was in the tank and sailed away. Never had problem with V-dubs, many Hondas or Porsches. I'd say do whatever allows you to sleep at night, but IMHO the "usual things" aren't really necessary.
Makes sense
wink.gif
Some people "fret" over the "little things"
smile.gif

That being said, I'm a fan of Seafoam......you'll want to dump the seafoam in, then fill up the tank as mentioned previously, to aboid "condensation" or moisture developing.

That, or just take the gamble and don't use anything. I'm sure that "success" in that approach depends a lot on how good the fuel is in your area though.....

Some may also recommend pouring about a teaspoon of MMO down each cylinder/spark plug hole as a light lube.....

I use MMO in the fuel at recommended mix rates for the gasoline used in yard equipment.

I have used MMO @ every fill in our vehicles too for years.

i would worry more about engine rust. first run a lot of mmo through engine, seal all openings, keep the air temp the same, as much as you can. in the back of my mind i think the ARMY as a way to do that, but cant remember about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back