Motorcraft 10w-30 Diesel Oil in gas engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Found this oil on sale at a nearby farm store. SM/CJ rated, labeled for use in the Powerstroke diesel. Bottle makes no mention of being a synthetic blend as most other MC oils do. Truth be told I'm not evensure if it's a ConocoPhilips product.

Nonetheless it was 1.59 a quart so worth trying since it's the recommended viscosity for the L67 engine. Will I have any trouble with this being a diesel engine oil? Thoughts?

I will bet that the SM is way better than the Bonnie spec'd...no worries...sounds like a great bargain.

Originally Posted By: 2cool
As long as the viscosity is OK by the mfr., that would be a wonderful oil to use.
+1

Check the owner's manual.....to be sure if this is a recognized/valid oil weight....

Particularly in these "winter months" coming and all, that "could" possibly be why it's on clearance.....?

Are there any lot marks, or date stamps anywhere on the bottle? Or at least a UPC? That may be able to let us know if it's really ConocoPhilips....

UPC is 0 31508 25837 2. On the label, there are the numbers:

XO-10W30-QSD
MLL-63
Distributed by Ford Motor Company

On the bottle, there is the following stamp:

C67019B355
FORD INT. REF.NO.178870

I know this isn't a conclusive test, but this oil smells nothing like the ConocoPhilips oils I've used in the past (TropArtic & Motorcraft Syn-blend). Those oils had a strong "OIL" type smell to it that was unmistakeable, while this one has a lighter solvent/chemical smell to it, similar to GC and some other synthetics. Interesting to say the least.

It took me a while to answer this because I couldn't stop my uncontrollable sobbing. $1.59/qt... oh man!

Anyway, I am currently running that oil in a gasser. An '05 F150 5.4L, to be precise. I got hold of some of this oil for an experiment. It's a little outside the bounds of the specification from Ford, but if you backtrack some of my posts, you will see I did a good job of testing things out.

My take is that if your engine is rated for a 10W30, either by the manual or your climate, then there should be no issues. It is a mixed fleet oil (SM/SJ4) from Conoco/Phillips so it is suitable for both gas or diesel engines.

Based on the specs, see below, it should be a robust oil and because it's formulated for the Power Stoke, it's gotta be pretty shear stable. I don't if it's a syn blend, but I also think that doesn't matter much. It does have the same 146 Viscosity Index as the Rotella Syn Blend similar CCS and pour point.

I think you are fine. I do totally hate you for finding such a good deal, though ( : < )

10W30 Motorcraft Super Duty oil Specs:

Viscosity:

@ 100C= 12 cSt
@ 40C= 80 cSt
CCS @ -30C= 6,200 cP

Viscosity Index= 146

Pour Point= -49F
Flash Point= 441F
TBN= 8.4

Last edited:
WHAT? HDEO 10w-30 for $6.50/gallon? Where? What store? How many cases are left?

I would be all over that like stink on poo. That is a very good oil for a smokin' great price! RUN, DO NOT WALK, BACK AND BUY AS MUCH AS YOU THINK YOU CAN GET AND USE.

I find myself uncontrollably getting nervous ticks at the thought of 10w-30 HDEO at that price; I may have to make a roadtrip ...

Now that I think about it, it will probaby ruin your gasser engine. You should buy all you can, and then send it to me, so that no one else is at risk!
grin2.gif

Last edited:
I would use this in either my 87 Cherokee with 292,712 miles on her Original 4.0 and entire drivetrain, or in my 96 Cherokee with 248,??? miles on her 4.0, or in my 99 Cherokee with its freshly Built 4.0 thats now Fully Driven-In...

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
WHAT? HDEO 10w-30 for $6.50/gallon? Where? What store? How many cases are left?

I would be all over that like stink on poo. That is a very good oil for a smokin' great price! RUN, DO NOT WALK, BACK AND BUY AS MUCH AS YOU THINK YOU CAN GET AND USE.

I find myself uncontrollably getting nervous ticks at the thought of 10w-30 HDEO at that price; I may have to make a roadtrip ...

Now that I think about it, it will probaby ruin your gasser engine. You should buy all you can, and then send it to me, so that no one else is at risk!
grin2.gif

Store is called Buchheit, a farm store akin to Big R or Blaine's Farm & Fleet. The place I found it was in Greenville, IL though there some scattered throughout the state and a handful in Missouri. Not sure if the other locations carry it, but this one has at least a few cases, it appears that it's being discontinued.

I only picked up 5 quarts, but I might pick up another OCI worth even though I have enough oil as it is. Takes a long time to run through it at 8-9k intervals, and only one car!

FWIW, they also had the same oil as a single grade 30 weight, but it was $2.50 a quart or thereabouts, didn't appear on sale.

That old oil might be from some store's closeout sale or something similar. It is probably fine, but the additive package is too heavy for long term life of your catalytic converter.

SM/CJ rated oil is among the newest HDEO's out there, in fact I don't think a newer rating exists, as an HDEO won't meet SN/GF-5 specs anyways.

The engine is pretty heavily modified, so I'll take the extra anti-wear additives over the chance the cat might go bad. It's brand new, if it ever goes, $40 and an hour of my time is all I'm out.

Yeah it will work fine. I have run 10w30 Diesel Oil in several of my cars that spec a 30 weight oil and never had a problem with a cat going bad on any of em. Kept my Riviera, La Sabre, and Monte Carlo running just fine. Might lose 1 or 2 mpg cause it is not a resource conserving oil like a car oil might be, but thats all.

I just picked up seven more quarts for less than $11. Now I've got a complete case, enough for two OCI's and a quart top-up for each.

Specs for the oil are on Ford's website, looks like good stuff.

The cat issue is somewhat overstated in normal use. When did SM come in... early 2000s. Cars built prior were using SL oil and had cats of the same design and making it out of warranty OK. The potential exists for a poisoned cat, especially if an engine is an oil burner, but what are the odds??? Slim, in my estimation.

I agree with you.My Vulcan 3.0l engine has over 200000Ks and has been lubricated exclusively with heavy duty motor oil since day one.It still runs like new and I am still on my original cat.convertor.I have used Delvac 1 5w40 and Esso XD3 0w30 most of the time.

I'm about 3k into the OCI, and it appears to be doing just fine. I used a Baldwin filter, the oversized one from the 4.3L engines.

Only observation this far, is that oil consumption appears to be roughly half what it normally is. I usually have to add a quart to top off between 3-5k miles into an OCI. Presently it's shy only about 1/3 quart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back