Dex-cool newbie can't decide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally, I would drain it and refill it with more Dex Cool. I'm pretty sure your current antifreeze has been in there for 5 years or 150,000 miles.

If you feel like switching to conventional antifreeze, you will have to drain and fill it every 2 years or 30,000 miles.

I don't like Honeywell's Prestone universal antifreeze. I personally use SellZone, Zerex, or Peak.

But if he puts more dexcool in he's going to just get more gumming. Time and milage didn't cause the dexcool to gum here. True green will need to be changed every 2-3 years, but that's why Global or G-05 was mentioned.

It might have the better series III 3800 depending on if it is LaCrosse or a Lucerne since that was the transition year. If you switched over to Global you're going to want to get all the dexcool out. That's not the easiest thing to do on these cars.

Originally Posted By: rshaw125
2005 Buick 3800. I doubt it's been changed. 67,000 miles.
I am going in search of Peak Global.

Peak Global LT Full Strength ,should be available through your local Napa store for ~$16.50 last I checked. If they don't have it in stock, they should be able to get it in a day or two. Napa Part# PEA 00407.

If you can't find Gobal concentrate, let me throw out a radical idea. I believe Ford has a speciality Green concentrate that isn't all that more expensive than aftermarket antifreeze. It is basically Japanese extended life coolant and would work good.

3800 series III is the engine.

I went to Walmart, Auto Zone and Advance. All they sell is the universal coolant. I could not find any Peak Global or Zerex G-05.
I looked up the NAPA site and, as I was told here, they have both. Peak Global is $16.49 and Zerex G-05 is $16.99 full strength gallon.
Walgreens had the 50/50 Peak global.
I will go to NAPA tomorrow and buy the Peak Global. I did buy some distilled water at Walmart.
Thanks for all the help.

I went to local NAPA to buy Zerex G-05 and Peak Global, according to their website that local NAPA should have both but they only have Zerex G-05. Call your NAPA to be sure they have Peak Global before wasting your time and gas for nothing.

Done. NAPA got my Peak Global overnight. I drained the radiator and overflow bottle. I flushed it for 30 minutes to get it clean. The overflow bottle was pretty bad. I then filled it with tap water and drove it up the highway with the heat blasting. Drained the radiator again. More red Dex-cool. Flushed the radiator and overflow bottle for about 15 minutes. When it stopped dripping I closed the drain on the radiator and starting to refill with 50/50 Peak global and distilled water. Gold /yellow color. The air gurgled out of the radiator fill hole for about 5 minutes. Checked it this morning after a 25 mile run last night. Had to top up about a pint for correct level.
Thanks for all the advice and suggestions.

Ya I agree with Boss302fan because when you drain it, there's still water in the engine block and you might end up with a 40/60 mixture of antifreeze/water.

I have seen overflow bottle in 15 year old GM cars that look almost new and have held nothing but Dex-Cool. On the other hand, I have seen 3 year old GM vehicles (mine) where the reservoir bottle is covered (inside) with brown goo. I changed out my Dex-Cool to Low-Tox after the warranty was over.

I am not an expert on coolants nor am I a chemist, but if I didn't have to use Dex-Cool, I wouldn't.

Originally Posted By: Loobed

I have seen overflow bottle in 15 year old GM cars that look almost new and have held nothing but Dex-Cool. On the other hand, I have seen 3 year old GM vehicles (mine) where the reservoir bottle is covered (inside) with brown goo. I changed out my Dex-Cool to Low-Tox after the warranty was over.

I am not an expert on coolants nor am I a chemist, but if I didn't have to use Dex-Cool, I wouldn't.

May have had a bad radiator cap... Bad rad caps can cause exactly what you mentioned.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
My LS400 had been using Preston and Peak All-Makes with tap water for many years without problems, as long as I flush the system every 3-4 years with Preston T-Flush. But Peak Global Lifetime is a better antifreeze and lasted longer, that why I recommend it.

I'm curious, what do the 3 foreign vehicles in the signature have to do with Dex-Cool?

[/quote]

The radiator cap on the vehicle I am working on had more crude on it than any I have ever seen. There are pictures on the internet where the gasket material has been visibly eaten away.Kind of reminds me of people defending the Chrysler 2.7 against the sludge problem. I owned one and it was junk. [/quote]

I have always had GM vehicles except for my current Ford and a previous Mustang funmobile. I have NEVER had a problem with Dex-cool. I did have a Chevy Cavalier with a bad head gasket after 120,000 miles. No proof of what actually caused it though. I currently have in the family: 2002 Chevy SIlverado, 2003 Pontiac Vibe, 2006 Chevy Tahoe, 2007 Chevy Cobalt, 2008 Chevy HHR, 2009 Chevy Tahoe, 2009 Cadillac CTS, 2009 Chevy Cobalt. No problems with Dex-Cool so far.

Originally Posted By: johnachak
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
My LS400 had been using Preston and Peak All-Makes with tap water for many years without problems, as long as I flush the system every 3-4 years with Preston T-Flush. But Peak Global Lifetime is a better antifreeze and lasted longer, that why I recommend it.

I'm curious, what do the 3 foreign vehicles in the signature have to do with Dex-Cool?

Preston and Peak All-Makes are Dex-Clone isn't it ?

A dex clone and Dex cool are not the same thing. A car that specifically calls for Dex Cool may have different reqirements than one that can use an all purpose clone.

Originally Posted By: johnachak
A dex clone and Dex cool are not the same thing. A car that specifically calls for Dex Cool may have different reqirements than one that can use an all purpose clone.

Way too much on the internet about Dex-cool to ignore. I would never leave it in for 5 years. I went with Peak Global because the additive in Dex-cool that eats gaskets is not present, 2-EHA.

I would not leave ANY coolant in for 5 years... Drain and fills for me every 2-3 years give me peace of mind. Also never have had a problem with Dexcool.

Did a drain/refill on my truck at the 5.5 year mark. The factory fill was Dexcool. Looked great. I have no hesitations of leaving it in that long again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back