Valvoline Syn 5W30 Nissan VQ35DE 1557 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blackstone Labs report on my Nissan Maxima.
Mi on vehicle 10,850
Mi on oil 1,557, 6 mo
Valvoline Synpower 5W30
ST 7317 oil Filter
Pennzoil air filter

This sample/Last sample-1,707mi

Al 2/2
Cr 2/1
Fe 9/11
Cu 5/4
Pb 3/2
Sn 0/0
Mo 2/13
Ni 0/0
Mn 12/6
K 2/0
Bo 2/20
Si 5/7
Na 1/2
Ca 2011/2881
Mg 21/88
P 746/701
Zn 805/900
Ba 1/0
Visc 59.9 act, 56-62 30wt
Flash 450 act, 365min
Fuel Water 0
Insol 0.3

Blackstones comments said everything was normal except manganese and decided it was from a fuel additive used in colder climates. Since I live in a hot climate, guess it's possible. More likely it's lab error thru contamination in my opinion.

I was curious how Valvoline syn would do and was quite happy with the reults. The last oil was everyone's favorite, GC. Ran out and couldn't find any more so used my free synpower.

Car is driven nearly 100% short trips in town and I change every six months since that is what warranty requires.

Seems a shamne to change that frequently. Nice to see that that flashpoint is so high for all the short term driving. Looks great.

I'll bet your Synpower continues to run perfectly well in this engine (vs GC) for the few miles you run up. I used if for a 5+k oci in my Maxima a couple of years ago. That duration stretched the oil's ability, but it was also one of those deals where I thought the engine sounded better with Synpower...FWIW.

I thought the engine sounded better with Synpower. I agree since I went to SynPower 5/40 this summer in the Sonada the engine sounds much better. The GC produced steller reports but the 105 degree days here I had to try something different.That Hyundai squeeks & rattles but sounds much better with SynPower.
shocked.gif
I still will use the GC this winter.

In all honesty I can't say I'm impressed with this report overall. A synthetic with under 1,600 miles on it didn't do as well with wear metals as many conventionals manage in 3,000 miles. It did shine in holding its rated hot viscosity and flash point, though - no mean feat in St George's spring and summer heat. Still, given the short mileage OCIs dictated by warranty concerns, I would opine that Havoline conventional 5W-30 SM would yield at least equivalent (and perhaps superior) results for a good deal less expense.

Ray H,

We'll get to see about the Havoline 5w-30 SM in a couple of months. I'm going to do the first ever UOA on my '05 VQ (approx 12000k by that time).

Just about any oil would be fine for 1,00 or so miles. Synthetic in this application, unless you are doing serious lapping, is just a waste.

As for RayH's concern, I tend to distrust particulate counts in really short intervals such as this. I assume that the really fresh detergent/dispersant package is lifting old deposits/varnish from dark recesses in the motor.
dunno.gif

--- Bror Jace

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back