Brand loyalty vs whatever is on sale = vote

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mobil 1 in all of my vehicles, i find it the aap and autozone and circular promotions. I got my last sweep from pepboys, personally i think pepboys is the WORST auto part stores around.so disorganized, employees don't even know what a spark plug is etc..... I am loyal to Advance Auto Parts and Autozone the stores are pristine and organized and have very knowledgeable and friendly staff. I get the mobil 1 on sale the last promotion i got was for 35 dollars from advance auto parts.

Last edited:
I'd vote for what is on sale, simply because having read these forums for a bit of time, it is evident that there are a handful of top-notch dino oils, not just one. You can nitpick the results and add packs, but using a 5k OCI, you are in a great position to shop around.

I try my hardest to stick with Pennzoil. But sometimes theres another oil out there that catches my interest like the new Mobil Super Syn for only $19 and Castrol Edge for like a minute. Id love to give that new Mobil a go. Its like being married to the same boring wife for so long your bound to have a wandering eye.

Originally Posted By: hpichris
I hope you're not suggesting your wife is boring :p

Why do you think I said it?
56.gif

I mostly buy oil if it is on sale, no matter what the brand.

My stash is now mostly Napa Synthetic from their recent sale.

It has to be a reputable oil, and I get these days SM grade or better. I still see SH or SJ rated oils around though. But why bother with them as I think SM or SN are better at stopping sludge?

I would still consider SH or SJ oil only if my next oil change was in only 3000 miles, which I think would be a waste of time and money. For most cars, unless you live in Dust Heaven, a 3000 mile change is just not needed.

2 years later...and I must say....I haven't changed....I don't for me at least, there hasn't been a product that has been so outstanding that I had to stick by it.

I'm both brand loyal and look for a sale. I keep an eye out for sales on the stuff I like and that way I get both a deal and use the brands I prefer and pick up enough for an OC or two.
In the last two years since starting to change my own oil again I have never paid full price for PP 5W-20 for the Nitro. It usually retails for around $40CDN for a 5L jug. I have gotten it for between $24-29 for a jug between CTC & Walmart.

Same deal for the Jetta.

Between CTC & Walmart it seems there is an oil or two on sale every week.

Last edited:
I typically buy Mobil-1 but will use Pennzoil or Valvoline synthetic if it's a good sale

I usually go Mobil 1 but will also use Pennzoil Platinum or Edge Titanium. One of them is always on sale at any given time.

2004 Vovlo V70 2.5T - PP 5W-30
2008 Toyota Sienna XLE - Mobil 1 5W-30

I haven't changed either.

First fill on the Tribute, VWB 5W-20; $11.88/5L jug at WM.
Latest fill, QSGB 5W-20; $15.99/5L jug at CT.

Both were just what was on sale the day I decided to change the oil.

I did research first and then became brand loyal. Every once an a while I'll check up on what I'm using to see if it still meets "good enough" standards. Recently, M1 dicontinued TSUV and I'd heard a lot of good things about PP. Almost switched, but also heard good things about M1 HM so I went with that. I've only got about 2k on this oil and it seems to be alright.
$23 and Walmart sells it so I know I won't have trouble finding it in a pinch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back