my compression test results!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
^ the theory is "no drain holes". Some enterprising sorts machine some. Too crazy for my blood. I'll just run "top shelf oil", whatever that is... why I joined BITOG.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: supton
Someplace, somewhere, I recall reading someone using Marvel Mystery oil to unblock the drain holes in the pistons. Apparently Saturn used small diameter holes whereas everyone else uses slots. The least amount of crud there causes the rings to not be able to handle the oil. Not sure how, maybe it was MM and ATF, idle at temp, then flush? Don't remember now. But I recall that theory (bad drain holes) as being a possible reason for so many Saturns drinking oil.

The issue is the oil control rings lose tension and then get stuck in their lands... providing, yes, you guessed it, no, or very little oil control!

He's tried MMO and a more effective solvent, AC Delco combustion chamber cleaner to get his consumption to the point it is at now. It is not going to get any better than this.

The compression test results indicate that the compression rings are in perfect health. His consumption indicates the oil control rings are not.

He's had good luck with heavier oil thus far, and, IMHO, that's the route he should continue with. I think an HDEO like a 5w40 or 15w40, which has higher detergency is a his best bet at keeping consumption where it is and preventing it from worsening. This has been echoed by other members as well.

Originally Posted By: chevyboy14
I'm wondering if some of it was the pcv valve since I noticed the car smoking I changed it and it stopped.

Definitely a contributor. I had consumption on one of my 5L's with a plugged PCV screen. It stopped completely when I replaced it.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Someplace, somewhere, I recall reading someone using Marvel Mystery oil to unblock the drain holes in the pistons. Apparently Saturn used small diameter holes whereas everyone else uses slots. The least amount of crud there causes the rings to not be able to handle the oil. Not sure how, maybe it was MM and ATF, idle at temp, then flush? Don't remember now. But I recall that theory (bad drain holes) as being a possible reason for so many Saturns drinking oil.

The issue is the oil control rings lose tension and then get stuck in their lands... providing, yes, you guessed it, no, or very little oil control!

He's tried MMO and a more effective solvent, AC Delco combustion chamber cleaner to get his consumption to the point it is at now. It is not going to get any better than this.

The compression test results indicate that the compression rings are in perfect health. His consumption indicates the oil control rings are not.

He's had good luck with heavier oil thus far, and, IMHO, that's the route he should continue with. I think an HDEO like a 5w40 or 15w40, which has higher detergency is a his best bet at keeping consumption where it is and preventing it from worsening. This has been echoed by other members as well.

My '96 base Saturn does about the same as described here.
I agree with the oil ring theories.
MMO helped a little.
Replacing obviously tired PCV, vacuum lines, ETC were no help at all on mine.
21.gif

15W40 in the Summer and 5W40 in the Winter results in about 1QT consumption in 1500 miles.
It still runs like new with consistent 35 + MPG. I will drive this one 'till it drops. Good 'ol beater.

OP: that's excellent compression IMHO. I can only hope mine is as good. (SOHC 1.9)

Public service reminder to 1ST gen Saturn owners...
Check your Coolant Temp Sensor!!!

Rickey.

Has it been proven it's oil control rings that lose tension? As in, motor tear down proves it? Not being argumentitive, just want to know if that's the full and proper answer (and not egg shaped walls or loose rod bearings, etc). I haven't followed Saturns since getting rid of mine.

Has it been proven it's oil control rings that lose tension? As in, motor tear down proves it? Not being argumentitive, just want to know if that's the full and proper answer (and not egg shaped walls or loose rod bearings, etc). I haven't followed Saturns since getting rid of mine.

Yes. There were tear-down pictures posted here recently from a member who had that issue actually. His were stuck in the lands with varnish. When he cleaned them up, they had lost their tension.

Some do in fact just get dirty and if you can get them cleaned up your good to go and sometimes they also lose their tension. I'm using Mobil 1hm and I'm guna just top up never will have to change the oil again. I'll change the filter every 10k . Stupid saturns lol

Some do in fact just get dirty and if you can get them cleaned up your good to go and sometimes they also lose their tension. I'm using Mobil 1hm and I'm guna just top up never will have to change the oil again. I'll change the filter every 10k . Stupid saturns lol

I imagine you are right in that if you catch them early enough when they start to stick, that you can clean them up and get them to do their job again. Though I think the root of the problem is that their tension is poor to begin with.

Once they've been stuck for a long time, and have lost their tension, they likely can be coerced back into doing SOMETHING, but never back to 100% functionality. Probably what you are experiencing with yours, given the mileage.

I believe that's exactly it. My hope is if they are clean it'll Atleast help and it has some. It's all for better mpg thats why they use the rings that like tension its just like 0w20 they say its great but I personally think its for fuel economy and not about durability. And at the cost of great mpg I have to a quart of oil so its not really helping crude oil usage or pollution but what do I know I'm just a regular old Joe.

I'm wondering if some of it was the pcv valve since I noticed the car smoking I changed it and it stopped.

Definitely a contributor. I had consumption on one of my 5L's with a plugged PCV screen. It stopped completely when I replaced it.

So, how much was it consuming before replacing the PCV valve?

Also, I'm curious to see if chevyboy14's rate will improve with the PCV system functioning again.

So far my oil is full but I haven't drove a whole lot but have been driving the [censored] outta it.

Take it on a good, long highway run(interstate if possible), 40-50 miles round trip at least.
grin.gif

I had a 1999 2.4L Stratus consuming oil via the PCV. It would have oil coming from the sump right through the valve itself. Sick! It lost about 1 quart/2,000 miles.

After 10 revolutions, the compression had better be high.
10 is a LOT. It gives a nice warm fuzzy reading, though.
See how she comes up after the initial and second revolutions.
this tells a tale. And 4-5 is good for a real test.

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim

So, how much was it consuming before replacing the PCV valve?

Also, I'm curious to see if chevyboy14's rate will improve with the PCV system functioning again.

About 1L/5,000Km. It reduced to zero with the PCV screen and valve replaced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back