Oil filter test on Finnish car magazine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OpelFever
so theoretically the MANN-filter (13,8 grams) could go up to 18800km before clogging

So, that's another interesting tidbit. Aren't these Mann filters rated for 30k km? At least that's what it says right on them for VW/Audi applications.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
so theoretically the MANN-filter (13,8 grams) could go up to 18800km before clogging

So, that's another interesting tidbit. Aren't these Mann filters rated for 30k km? At least that's what it says right on them for VW/Audi applications.

The VW/Audi ones are mostly larger filters so they may have the capability for extended drains. However Toyota is currently the only manufacturer that recommends 15k km OCI where all the other makes allow 20k or more.

I also heard that the way long-life filters are made (filter media size being equal) is to lower the filtration in order to allow it last longer without clogging. At least the Opel/Saab/GM standard filter is identical to the Long-life version.

Last edited:
What's to say that there is truly a good grasp at practical particulate loading rates???

I am glad that Toyotas scored near the top. I have two in my filter stash and some of the BITOG members think of them as basically ordinary/average filters, whereas it appears from this Finnish survey that they are reasonably high-end.

It is not surprising to see Toyota OEM filter doing well in the test. But which filter was used for the test? Was it YZZF2? Or a Japan-made one?

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Im actually quite shocked on how bad the Knech/Mahle and Hegnst did as In my mind they were quality filters like the Mann-filter.

I had been using Hegnst cartridge filter in my E430 many times. The condition of the media at the end of OCI of 12-13k miles was very good. Currently I'm having some Bosch and Hegnst filters in my stash.

I'm surprise that Knech/Mahle and Hegnst did poorly in this test.

My thought as well. I've been using Mahle (which is the same as Knech/Hengst for most applications) has always done well for me, it certainly appears to be very well made and heavy duty as well. I wonder if they just had a bad run of product, it does happen occasionally for every brand.

I use the very popular OC47 designed for many VW 4 cylinder engines of 2L or less. Never had an issue with them always seemed to work perfectly.

Originally Posted By: kozanoglu
It is not surprising to see Toyota OEM filter doing well in the test. But which filter was used for the test? Was it YZZF2? Or a Japan-made one?

Could be the Japan made filter, as Amsoil tested the OEM Denso Toyota filters and they didn't do very well in the filtration effiecency test.

The last time I bought a Toyota OEM filter was about 6 months ago and it was made in china, can't remember the part number though.

The filtration test graph shows the following filtration efficiency in the smallest, 20 micron range:

Teho filter: 50%
Filtron, AMC and M-filter: 43-45%
Mann filter: 40%
Biltema: 37%
Toyota OEM: 35% (Surpassing Biltema in 22 micron size and bigger)
Hengst, Fram and purflux: 28-30%
Knecht: 22%

Naturally the efficiency improves with bigger particles, the 6 best filters catching over 90% of 35 micron particles.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Could be the Japan made filter, as Amsoil tested the OEM Denso Toyota filters and they didn't do very well in the filtration effiecency test.

I would not take Amsoil's test very seriously since they have their own filter to market.

The last time I bought a Toyota OEM filter was about 6 months ago and it was made in china, can't remember the part number though.

What was the part number? I did not know Toyota had oil filters for American market made in China.If you got it from ebay it might be a fake.

I would not take Amsoil's test very seriously since they have their own filter to market.

I believe Amsoil claims the tests area all done via 3rd party test laboratory, and are unbiased. How else would there be any confidence in the results?

I believe Amsoil claims the tests area all done via 3rd party test laboratory, and are unbiased. How else would there be any confidence in the results?

Find out who the "3rd party" really is and if there is ANY relation to/with amsoil.

They still brag about their product without providing any evidence other than their self made bar graphs.

Originally Posted By: kemo

Find out who the "3rd party" really is and if there is ANY relation to/with amsoil.

They still brag about their product without providing any evidence other than their self made bar graphs.

lol, Amsoil's oil filters certainly are among the best possibly to be held in your hands for a spin-on, PCMO app.

98.7% efficiency at 15 micron, they have achieved this, of course one graph can choose to compare the worst 'filtration efficient' filters of a certain few apps, but it's hard to find any filters on par with or better. They have marketed their's "honestly"(for all intents and purposes), IMO.

I mean, is there something untrue about what was shown by the graph? Which one in particular is being questioned? I thought they usually list the ISO test for reference on those things.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ltslimjim

I mean, is there something untrue about what was shown by the graph? Which one in particular is being questioned? I thought they usually list the ISO test for reference on those things.

It was a graph posted in a thread a week or so ago ... and I think it did have reference to the IOS test standard used. It's probably on their website someplace too.

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim

It was a graph posted in a thread a week or so ago ... and I think it did have reference to the IOS test standard used. It's probably on their website someplace too.

Here's the Amsoil test that shows the Toyota OEM (Denso) filter wasn't very good. They used industry standard ISO 4548-12 for "Absolute Efficiency" measurement.

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/eao.aspx

eao_efficiency_500px.jpg

Yet, in the OP's posted test data, the Toyota filter was 2nd highest rated filter?
crazy.gif

Here is a link to Volvo oil filter (2003) test I mentioned earlier. It's in Finnish so I'm mainly posting it for the pictures and graphs:

http://tos.pp.fi/koukku/suodattimet/olju.pdf

Looks like a pretty good test ... but I did not see Toyota OEM in the test. Post #1 in this thread showed Toyota OEM as #2 with a total score of 9.1 ("9,1"). Guess that was a different test ... not this one.

This is the older test on Volvo filters and the new test I wrote about is done in pretty much the same way. I just can't post it yet for copyright reasons.

The noteworthy similarities are that the OEM filters did well as did MANN filter in both tests.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back