State Sticker on Gas Pumps

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you look at the bottom of the state sticker on the gas pump, you will see a bunch of numbers (like 1-12 or something like that) with a certain number punched out. Does anyone know what those numbers mean? Is it the quality rank of the fuel? Here in Alabama, I put cheap "spot market" fuel from Jet-Pep stations in my car. The premium price is always 15-30 cents cheaper than surrounding stations.

It is when it was last inspected for accurate weight and measurement of fuel, so you do not get hosed at the pump and get 3 gallons instead of the 5 you paid for.

the "punched out" date(s) should be the last time the pumps were "evaluated" by the Department of Weights and Measurements......

I noticed some of the pumps by us, have a group of "scrolling digits" in the bottom right corner of the pump too, which I assume keeps track how many gallons of fuel is pumped...? Or how many "patrons" come to the station....?

The scrolling digits is in fact a gallons counter.

Used only to compare with the newer electronic monitoring devices.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. The pump I use had the "2" notched out of it. So the last time it was inspected was in February this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back