Tires for my truck...

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you check Discount Tires Direct they will give you a better price than anyone.

No shipping. No taxes. And an "inside deal" at your local tire store for mounting. I only pay 19.00 each even with tpms and special rims.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Well lets do a cents per mile comparison.

Lets say the Destinations only last 40k, that's .017 cents per mile.

If the LTX MS2's last 60k miles that's .016 cents per mile.

The LTX's need the $70 rebate Michelin was offering to really push the numbers in their favor.

Being fair, with my experience with Destination LE tires and LTX M/S tires, the M/S tires will likely last nearly 100k and the Destinations will be shot in 50k.

.017 cents per mile ... .016 cents per mile.
Somehow I think you either meant 1.6 and 1.7 cents or 0.016 and 0.017 DOLLARS per mile ...

Well I found a local place that will mount them for me for $880 cash and another $70 for an alignment. $200 per tire, plus another $20 each to mount, balance, dispose, etc.

$930 out the door, plus they can get the P metric ones, Townfair can only get the E rated and I really don't want E rated tires on a half ton truck. Townfair wants $1085 out the door for the E rated ones.

Considering my $700 Generals are shot at 25k miles after not quite 2 years if the LTX MS2's last twice that I'm ahead.

Last edited:
The LTX MS2's are on the truck, shop couldn't get the P metric ones so they gave me the E rated instead. Surprisingly the ride seems ok, so I can't complain.

I'll update this thread as I get some miles on them.

Surprisingly the ride seems ok, so I can't complain.

What's the pressure set at? If your door placard calls for P-metric tires and you put LT-metric tires on it at the placard pressure, they'll probably ride better but they'll be pretty under-inflated in terms of the kind of pressure you should run in an LT-metric tire.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Yeah I know Tirerack has them, but I don't want to order them from Tirerack because every installer around here rapes you if you do. I used to order tires from them but its to much of a hassle these days.

Plus I need an alignment so once I figure that all in I'm over a G note. I'm going to see if Townfair tire can get them tomorrow.

If you have a Ford dealer local to you, their prices can't be beat.

I just got four new LTX2 M/S at my ford dealer for a lot cheaper than anywhere else plus the $70.00 rebate.

Originally Posted By: Lakersguy
Yeah I know Tirerack has them, but I don't want to order them from Tirerack because every installer around here rapes you if you do. I used to order tires from them but its to much of a hassle these days.

Plus I need an alignment so once I figure that all in I'm over a G note. I'm going to see if Townfair tire can get them tomorrow.

I just got four new LTX2 M/S at my ford dealer for a lot cheaper than anywhere else plus the $70.00 rebate.

Yup, been my experience with them as well.

Originally Posted By: Lakersguy

Yup, been my experience with them as well.

Nice to know there is a good source for tires, instead of Discount Tires or online. Car dealers used to sell tires at higher price than anywhere else.

Originally Posted By: leeharvey418
Surprisingly the ride seems ok, so I can't complain.

What's the pressure set at? If your door placard calls for P-metric tires and you put LT-metric tires on it at the placard pressure, they'll probably ride better but they'll be pretty under-inflated in terms of the kind of pressure you should run in an LT-metric tire.

40 psi, but I can crank them up to 80 if I'm carrying heavy loads which I really don't. My truck only scales at like 4,500 pounds.

Even though my truck is a 1/2 ton truck, it is rated to carry 1,900 pounds, but whenever I do carry heavy I don't go very far for fast. If I did I'd crank the pressure up to 60-70 in the rears. Tires fail because of heat and going 30mph or less for a couple of miles just doesn't generate any heat.

Last edited:
Update:

Now that I have about 3k miles on my MS2's.

Pros:
Good on dry pavement, and since they are on muddy job sites about every day pretty good on the dirt to. Today I'm working them out in the snow and they seem to work as good as any all season tire.

Cons:
The ride sucks, but I guess that's what I get for going E rated on a half ton. Oh well its just a work truck. But man some of the bumps will take fillings out!

I think you can lower the air pressure to around 35psi or so.

I made that mistake once too, putting E load range tires on a 1/2 ton truck, won't EVER do that again. By the time you hit 15k miles, you're gonna wish you had never heard of a load range E!

Originally Posted By: Ramblin Fever
I think you can lower the air pressure to around 35psi or so.

Bad idea. LT tires actually require higher pressures for the same weight capacity - they have more material in them, and thus need higher inflation pressure to keep the heat generation within acceptable limits.

Originally Posted By: leeharvey418
Bad idea. LT tires actually require higher pressures for the same weight capacity - they have more material in them, and thus need higher inflation pressure to keep the heat generation within acceptable limits.

Not exactly. It's that the rubber is different - designed for higher loading - and it's that property that generates the heat.

BTW, if a P metric tire requires 35 psi, an LT with the same dimensions requires 50 psi!

Last edited:
Okay, fair enough - I'm not going to argue with The Man when it comes to thermal properties of high hysteresis/low creep rubber.

I do know that most P-metric or E-metric 235/70R16 tires run in the ballpark of 31-35 lbs, while the two LT-metric that I know of in that size are 38 & 39 lbs. Maybe you can't make blanket statements for all sizes...

At the end of the day, though, the result is the same - decreasing pressure on an LT-metric tire isn't a good idea.

Last edited:
I would have walked out or purchased something else in load range C.(or had them order them in)

Capriracer - I have heard it said that running any LT tire with less then 40psi is not good....is this true?

Or is that just a blanket statement?

I am confused on this because our local Discount tire puts my tire pressure at 35psi for an LT 31x10.50 R15 load range C tire that came stock on my 91 Isuzu Rodeo XS

They also say that if I run anything less then 40psi on my 97 Rodeo with LT265/75 R16 load range C tires that I can actually cause a similar situation to what you stated above.

Sticking with P rated tires for trucks that need aggressive A/T tires just isn't possible, most of your high quality A/T tires don't come with enough tread depth in the P-rated version, and in my case, seem to be more prone to failures.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back