Synthetic Brake fluid or normal brake fluid????

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got me a 2000 Chrysler Voyager van. I see that the brake fluid is low. I looked on my shelf and I have some Prestone Synthetic Brake Fluid Dot 3. I don't know anything about synthetic or what I have in the resevoir now. Some said that all brake fluids are synthetic but the Napa guys said that some are synthetic and some are not. NOTE: I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT DOT 5 AND DON'T WANT TO KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT DOT 5.
So do I take a chance and pour any Dot 3 or Dot 4 into my reservoir whether it says synthetic or not? NOTE AGAIN: No one knows the truth about this subject. I spent two hours researching this on the Internet and got various answers.

I've been adding whatever brake fluid on previous cars and it was fine. I mean recommended to that car,DOT 3 or 4. They should be mixable same as dino and synthetic oils. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Originally Posted By: beast3300
All brake fluid is synthetic.
That what I always thought, you can't find brake fluid present in nature. Oils-- sure.Well, maybe there is some brake fluid present in some people brains
laugh.gif

I had Advance Auto Synthetic brake fluid in my reservoir and replaced 12 ounces of that synthetic with 12 ounces of Pennzoil, HD Brake Fluid, that I picked up at Big Lots for $1.80.

I picked up the brake fluid when the QSUD was on sale for $4 a quart.

The Pennzoil does not state that it is synthetic anywhere on the container. So I used a Turkey Baster and removed 12 ounces of the old AA synthetic brake fluid from the reservoir and replaced it with the fresh Pennzoil HD, Dot 3.

Brakes work fine and I notice nothing different except clean fluid in the reservoir. I do this a couple of time a year and then have the brake system bled every 3 years. IMO....New fluid is better than old fluid in the system.

Big Lots also had Accel, Brake Fluid on the Shelf, distributed by Warren out of Nebraska and that did not indicate that it was synthetic.

IMO....go to BL and pick up a 12 ounce container then make a trip to Dollar Tree and pick up a few Turkey Basters for $1 each and just exchange the fluid a couple of times a year.

IMO...a brake fluid exchange via Turkey Baster is better than driving around with weak fluid especially after a hot summer and a cold winter coming up.

All brake fluid is a variant of polyethylene glcol. Since it does not occur in nature, all brake fluid is synthetic. They put this on the container to get you to buy that brand.

Quote:
All brake fluid is a variant of polyethylene glcol

DOT 3, 4 and 5.1 are polyethylene glycol based. DOT 5 is silicone-based and does not mix with the polyethylene glycol based fluids.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: beast3300
All brake fluid is synthetic.

"Synthetic" appeared on the Prestone bottles a few years ago, obviously as a marketing ploy. (Sort of like "Fat Free" on a bottle of water?)

If there was anything special about the "synthetic" variety, we would be seeing regular, semi-synthetic, and synthetic brake fluids at different price points.

I asked the guys at Napa Auto Parts if there is synthetic and non-syn and they do not know. They claim that there is a difference though. I guess they are just there to sell product and not to know product.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Quote:
All brake fluid is a variant of polyethylene glcol

DOT 3, 4 and 5.1 are polyethylene glycol based. DOT 5 is silicone-based and does not mix with the polyethylene glycol based fluids.
+1 John--Las Vegas

Originally Posted By: forjonny
I asked the guys at Napa Auto Parts if there is synthetic and non-syn and they do not know. They claim that there is a difference though. I guess they are just there to sell product and not to know product.
I bought a bottle of DOT4 brake fluid for my motorcycle at the local NAPA store. Good guys; I've known them a long time. The NAPA brake fluid was labeled as synthetic and the clerk asked me if I was sure that I wanted the synthetic product. I told him that they were all synthetic, and he rang me up without another word. These guys aren't trained and just follow the label, even if the label is mainly hype.

Except for a few tractors and other heavy equipment that use hydraulic oil as brake fluid, what IS non-synthetic brake fluid----there isn't any.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back