Where Can I Find A Small Pump To Remove Fluids ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have an idea where i can get a small pump to suck out power steering fluid and transmission fluid? Something with a hose that i could fish into the transmission fluid filler and take out transmission fluid and other oils and empty it into a plastic container?

I was thinking about that harbor freight pump.....actually, walmart by me sells the same orange pump for $8 - no shipping (and it's not on back order hehe.) BUT, I wasn't quite sure how it would hold up to "hot" or even "warm" motor oil....? Any ideas? The biggest benefit to one of these pumps I could see would be for UOA samples from the dip stick.....BUT, all the directions (BITOG, blackstone, etc...) state to sample "warmed up" oil....i.e. been driven 5-10 miles I presume...? Since you want any possible fuel or water to "flash" from the oil before you sample....and obviously, a warm oil will flow better than cold....

At my WM, it's either the above pump from harbor freight, or a simple "bulb siphon" pump, that you prime the bulb a bit, and wait for the fluid to start flowing.....BUT, the tubing didn't seem like it would "hold up" to warm oil.....I worried about the tubing possibly "melting" as I "fish" it down the oil dip stick hole....

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Use the pump from a shampoo bottle

Wow, now THAT doesn't seem like a bad idea.....paired with approproriate sized tubing, stuff the shampoo pump into one end, thread the other end down the oil dip stick hole....and pump away....that would be WAAAAAAAAYYYY more easier than that "bulb pump" I got for $3 at WM
smile.gif
lol...but still have that worry of the whole "warm oil" possibly melting the tubing...? Or is this not an issue really...?

Last edited:
I went through about 3 of those pumps in a year. Quality control isn't the best. For warm fluids, the hoses like to collapse and restrict how much fluid goes through. It's also a lot of work pumping that. Much prefer my MityVac 7201.

Power steering is one thing, but ATF is a whole different animal. For the latter, a Mityvac 7201 is the way to go. Hopefully you get one that actually has a top seal installed at the factory.

I bought Mityvac 7201 back in 2004 to do oil change for E430, it works great siphoning oil in the Benz and my brother in-law BMW, I also use it to do oil change for LS400 and S2000. I then used it to do ATF, PSF, brake fluid ... So far it had been used more than 50 times for various cars. The price is a little high but it paid for itself within a couple years.

go to a good hobby shop and order a du-bro fillin station cat no 908. its good quality pump. the tubing is 1/4 inch o.d. hand crank, so you dont have to worry about batteries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back