waterproofing electric connectors

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi i have a 2008 dodge power wagon. i have issues with some of the electric connectors getting water in them. i don't like to use di-electric grease because i have had it cause bad connetions . any other ideas? i thought about sparying the outside of them down with fluid film ? would this work? thanks

Go to an auto parts store.
Ask for grease for electrical connections.
You will probably end up with di electric grease, which is great.

There's a product sold by Truck-Lite that is made for light connections called NYK-77. It's available from most truck parts houses.

Originally Posted By: dwendt44
I've seen some factor fresh connections with what looks like white grease packed in them.

And guess what that is?

Originally Posted By: 008wagon
hi i have a 2008 dodge power wagon. i have issues with some of the electric connectors getting water in them. i don't like to use di-electric grease because i have had it cause bad connetions . any other ideas? i thought about sparying the outside of them down with fluid film ? would this work? thanks

It caused bad connections? Or the connections were bad and the grease got blamed?

It does not waterproof (your title). Totally watertight connections is a whole new subject. But it does greatly reduce the likelyhood of moisture causing a problem. It's cheap (very little needed) and it works.

Last edited:
Lubes N Greases just had an article about greasing connectors. A couple important points I remember:

- Grease does not preclude good electrical contact in the static condition. Studies showed no loss in electrical contact with greased connectors.

- Grease precludes a condition called "fretting", which occurs when there is micromotion between contacts, causing the surfaces to form a non-conductive oxide film.

- As we already know, grease keeps out corrosive elements to prevent bulk environmental corrosion of the connectors.

Originally Posted By: brianl703
Ford Electrical Terminal Grease. It's Nyogel 760G -- much better than silicone dielectric grease.

Any dealer should have this.

grease

"Much better"? Really? Exactly how , and exactly how much better?

It's thinner and less viscous than silicone dielectric grease, so it's easier to apply. I can apply it right into a terminal with minimal mess and effort--good luck trying that with the typical silicone dielectric grease. It's also a synthetic grease--it uses PAO, according to the datasheet.

It meets the following specifications: Ford: WSB-M1C239-A, GM: 9986087, DaimlerChrysler: MS-9469 and is what is used at the factory. It is also the subject of several Ford TSBs recommending it's use for most electrical connections, the exception being spark plug wires for which silicone dielectric grease is preferred.

Quote:
"Before the use of high contact force, fretting corrosion was minimized with NyoGel 760G, a synthetic connector grease Nye developed more than 10 years ago," Holley said. "In fact, NyoGel 760G has become 'the standard' in automotive connectors, specified by DaimlerChrysler, Ford, and General Motors. We believe 760G will continue to play a major role in minimizing fretting corrosion, perhaps even in the new Flex connectors, where insertion force is not an issue.

link

I've used both, and I much prefer the Nyogel 760G.

By the way, prior to Nyogel 760G Ford and others used a white lithium based grease from the factory. This had problems where it would attack the plastic on the connector housings.

More information

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Originally Posted By: brianl703
Ford Electrical Terminal Grease. It's Nyogel 760G -- much better than silicone dielectric grease.

Any dealer should have this.

grease

"Much better"? Really? Exactly how , and exactly how much better?

I can't quantify "how much" better it is, but GM specifically calls out Nyogel 760G, not any old dielectric grease, as the recommended repair for fretting conditions. Here is an article written in the GM technician newsletter describing fretting conditions and how to correct them:

http://www.sandyblogs.com/techlink/techlink_august_09.pdf

The document also calls out TSB 09-06-03-004, which is the offical TSB for repair fretting conditions.

i found and use bg's ignition and batt.terminal sealer it does the following:
1)restores cracked or damaged insulation on wiring..
2)completely seals and weatherproofs wiring and electrical connections...
3)prevents corrosion of batt. terminals, cables and clamps..
4)insulates wiring from shorts-several coats will insulates bare wires..
5)protects chrome and metal surfaces..
6)colorless protection for decals,lettering,etc.
7)will not accumulate dust or dirt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back